New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got it. It might be worthwhile using it alone...it’s pretty impressive. I emailed YVH hops and asked them when we can expect this years nectaron to be available, and their initial response was June or July. I then followed up and they told me unfortunately they won’t be able to get ANY until 2023. It’s in super high demand and is going to be difficult for homebrewers to get in the near future.

Yikes!! I better make this one count then :(

Got it. It might be worthwhile using it alone...it’s pretty impressive. I emailed YVH hops and asked them when we can expect this years nectaron to be available, and their initial response was June or July. I then followed up and they told me unfortunately they won’t be able to get ANY until 2023. It’s in super high demand and is going to be difficult for homebrewers to get in the near future.
That sucks. Was hoping it would be showing up over the next few weeks with the 2021 southern hemisphere crop.

That sucks. Was hoping it would be showing up over the next few weeks with the 2021 southern hemisphere crop.
Same here, that’s why I emailed them back in May to see if I could get an idea when they’d be available. They “might” get some but I’m not too optimistic about it. I’m sure they’ll be available somewhere but I’m so spoiled by YVH...placing my order and having it at my doorstep literally the next day. (I still don’t know how they’re shipping is SO fast) Here’s the communication I got from them if anyone’s interested.

A3AB4B4E-7488-49FC-97E1-3B74DEFF3EF8.jpeg
82B95BC6-25B6-43CB-A9CE-2EC9159E1D2E.jpeg
AD34AD04-2873-4EFA-A590-07699FDE9608.jpeg

Same here, that’s why I emailed them back in May to see if I could get an idea when they’d be available. They “might” get some but I’m not too optimistic about it. I’m sure they’ll be available somewhere but I’m so spoiled by YVH...placing my order and having it at my doorstep literally the next day. (I still don’t know how they’re shipping is SO fast) Here’s the communication I got from them if anyone’s interested.

View attachment 736211View attachment 736212View attachment 736213
Beerco.com.au might be an option. I'll keep an eye on them too. They appear to have some 2021 crops already like Nelson. Still waiting on my Yakima order. Left the parcel forwarding service in New Jersey last Wednesday but tracking hasn't changed since. Got from Yakima pretty quickly though, shipped Friday and arrived Tuesday.

Anybody have a favorite hop combo with Nectaron? How much hot/cold side? I've got 8oz of it to use for my next batch :)
I have one on tap now...used Nectaron with Mosaic and Riwaka. Excellent combo, IMO.

I played with some small late boil additions, but my hot side was 1 oz CTZ @ 20, 3:2:2 Nectaron:Mosaic:Riwaka total. I split out .5 oz each for 15/10/5 min additions, then the rest in the WP @ 165 for 20 min. 5 gallon batch. The ratios are the actual ozs.

Dry hop was 1.5:1:2 in the same order. A bit bitter for the style and less dry hops than usual. But that was what I was aiming for. If I was to make it closer to style, I'd keep the CTZ @ 20 and put all of the rest in the WP. And I'd double or even triple the Nectaron in the dry hop.

I've also made a Nectaron Single Hop Pale. Used 10 oz total with a 5 oz dry hop, bittered with Magnum. It was delicious. Fruit bomb but not in the Galaxy/Mosaic vein. But I used a Chico strain so it doesn't count in this thread :)

I bought a kilo from Beerco.com last year and only have 6 oz left...

I have one on tap now...used Nectaron with Mosaic and Riwaka. Excellent combo, IMO.

I played with some small late boil additions, but my hot side was 1 oz CTZ @ 20, 3:2:2 Nectaron:Mosaic:Riwaka total. I split out .5 oz each for 15/10/5 min additions, then the rest in the WP @ 165 for 20 min. 5 gallon batch. The ratios are the actual ozs.

Dry hop was 1.5:1:2 in the same order. A bit bitter for the style and less dry hops than usual. But that was what I was aiming for. If I was to make it closer to style, I'd keep the CTZ @ 20 and put all of the rest in the WP. And I'd double or even triple the Nectaron in the dry hop.

I've also made a Nectaron Single Hop Pale. Used 10 oz total with a 5 oz dry hop, bittered with Magnum. It was delicious. Fruit bomb but not in the Galaxy/Mosaic vein. But I used a Chico strain so it doesn't count in this thread :)

I bought a kilo from Beerco.com last year and only have 6 oz left...
So to piggy back on @RCope experiences with Nectaron, Ive done several combos with Nectaron and all have turned out quite nicely in their own way:

1) Moutere and Nectaron (more heavy Moutere hot side, then flip/flopped to favor Nectaron in DH).
2) Moutere, Idaho 7, Nectaron (I didn't have enough moutere and nectaron to repeat, so added I7)
3) Waimea, Citra, and Nectaron
4) El Dorado, Nelson, and Nectaron (this one was DH with these three, but only used Columbus and Cascade hot side)

All of these combos ended up very nice. #3 is easily the biggest fruit bomb (NZ style!) of the batch. #1 was fantastic and strong tropical fruit/stone fruit. Im presently enjoying both #3 and #4 on tap. #4 took a little while to condition (yup that's some potent Nelson!) but ended up great. All 4 of these have some great earthy and I would say that while I haven't done a single hopped beer with Nectaron, my impression (mostly based on Batch #1) is that Nectaron is a more polished/refined/hybrid NZ hop. Its not that "in your face" or potent as Nelson or Galaxy either. It has GREAT tropical/stone fruit flavor and the NZ diesel is definitely present but in a VERY pleasant and complimentary way and the "diesel"/spice doesn't take the forefront. Even people who don't prefer the NZ diesel would like Nectaron IMO. For these reasons, I'm definitely in favor of a BIG DH dose of nectaron with zero fear of a beer that needs significant conditioning time. If any of these appeal to ya, Id be happy to post the Hop schedule I used.

Bummer, I wasnt that impressed with my lot though, too much diesel for my liking. It seems it can get dirty as galaxy if you dont have a nice lot. New and in high demand probably equals inconsistency

Bummer, I wasnt that impressed with my lot though, too much diesel for my liking. It seems it can get dirty as galaxy if you dont have a nice lot. New and in high demand probably equals inconsistency

Huh. Never experienced a bit of diesel in Nectaron. Like not even a whiff of it. Maybe the least diesel NZ hop I’ve used. I think I’ve been through about 10# of it over the last few years as 4337 and Nectaron. Pretty sure it’s acreage is still pretty small. Glad I still have some 4337 from 2019 and a bit of 2020 left. Love love love this hop.

So to piggy back on @RCope experiences with Nectaron, Ive done several combos with Nectaron and all have turned out quite nicely in their own way:

1) Moutere and Nectaron (more heavy Moutere hot side, then flip/flopped to favor Nectaron in DH).
2) Moutere, Idaho 7, Nectaron (I didn't have enough moutere and nectaron to repeat, so added I7)
3) Waimea, Citra, and Nectaron
4) El Dorado, Nelson, and Nectaron (this one was DH with these three, but only used Columbus and Cascade hot side)

All of these combos ended up very nice. #3 is easily the biggest fruit bomb (NZ style!) of the batch. #1 was fantastic and strong tropical fruit/stone fruit. Im presently enjoying both #3 and #4 on tap. #4 took a little while to condition (yup that's some potent Nelson!) but ended up great. All 4 of these have some great earthy and I would say that while I haven't done a single hopped beer with Nectaron, my impression (mostly based on Batch #1) is that Nectaron is a more polished/refined/hybrid NZ hop. Its not that "in your face" or potent as Nelson or Galaxy either. It has GREAT tropical/stone fruit flavor and the NZ diesel is definitely present but in a VERY pleasant and complimentary way and the "diesel"/spice doesn't take the forefront. Even people who don't prefer the NZ diesel would like Nectaron IMO. For these reasons, I'm definitely in favor of a BIG DH dose of nectaron with zero fear of a beer that needs significant conditioning time. If any of these appeal to ya, Id be happy to post the Hop schedule I used.

I love me some NZ diesel!!

Would you mind sharing your recipe for #3?

Maybe a bit of a dumb question, but here goes anyways. When I see discussions here about hop amounts to use, I'm always confused about what the relative amount is to.

For example, I'll see someone post that they used 1oz @10min, etc. This amount would have to change quite a bit if you are leaving 1/2 gal of wort behind in the kettle vs 2 gal or if you boil off rate is totally different than someone else? There's no "standardized" amount of losses etc and its specific to a given brewer's setup right?

When it comes to dry hopping, a ratio of oz / gallon...this is how much actual fermented out liquid you are starting with?

Or am I just going to far down the rabbit hole here :)

You are right, it can vary a little from brewer to brewer of course, but the hot side hops wont change all that much, 1 oz at 10 min is 1 oz at 10 min usually referring to a 5 gallon batch. So if a 5 gallon batch and probably 6.5 in the kettle you can adjust accordingly. Not to mention different hop lots have different alpha acid percentages, which personally I don't pay to much attention to. For me I do 15gal finished batches which is 23gal to start 2 gallon of boil off and leave 3 gallon or so behind to fill my fermenter to 17.5 gallon. When I dry hop I base it on 17 gallon because I dump half gallon of trub before I dry hop, Not the 15gallon final amount in the kegs. In any case, enjoy the rabbit hole, I love it down here.

Cheers!

You are right, it can vary a little from brewer to brewer of course, but the hot side hops wont change all that much, 1 oz at 10 min is 1 oz at 10 min usually referring to a 5 gallon batch. So if a 5 gallon batch and probably 6.5 in the kettle you can adjust accordingly. Not to mention different hop lots have different alpha acid percentages, which personally I don't pay to much attention to. For me I do 15gal finished batches which is 23gal to start 2 gallon of boil off and leave 3 gallon or so behind to fill my fermenter to 17.5 gallon. When I dry hop I base it on 17 gallon because I dump half gallon of trub before I dry hop, Not the 15gallon final amount in the kegs. In any case, enjoy the rabbit hole, I love it down here.

Cheers!
Thanks for the info and confirmation!

Huh. Never experienced a bit of diesel in Nectaron. Like not even a whiff of it. Maybe the least diesel NZ hop I’ve used. I think I’ve been through about 10# of it over the last few years as 4337 and Nectaron. Pretty sure it’s acreage is still pretty small. Glad I still have some 4337 from 2019 and a bit of 2020 left. Love love love this hop.
I will def try and get some more to see. I had a single hop beer of it which had diesel too. Not as bad as others true.
I get a sort of more bright fruitier mosaic flavor from it leaning towards yellow fruit, orange with diesel

I love me some NZ diesel!!

Would you mind sharing your recipe for #3?

Here you go, for a 5gal batch of finished beer.

Grains:
Rahr 2-row - 75%
Briess White wheat - 20%
Carafoam - 5%

Boil Hops: (2oz, 14.8% hop bill)
Waimea - 15min boil - 0.5oz
Waimea - 10min boil - 0.5oz
Waimea - 5min boil - 0.25oz
Citra - 5min boil - 0.25oz
Nectaron - 5min boil - 0.5oz

Whirlpool/HopStand @150-155 degrees: (4oz, 29.6% hop bill)
Citra: 0.5oz each at 45, 30, and 15minutes
Nectaron: 0.5oz @ 45min, 1.0oz @ 30min, 1.0oz @ 15min

Dry Hop: (7.5oz, 55.6% hop bill)
DH#1 (3 days before cold crash to 38 degrees) : Citra LUPOMAX - 1.25oz, Nectaron - 2.5oz
DH#2 (24hrs after DH1): Citra LUPOMAX - 1.25oz, Nectaron - 2.5oz

Yeast: Imperial Dry Hop A24

Just tasted an IIPA made with Galaxy. It is horrible. The brewery is a very good brewery and makes very good beers usually. This thing is soooooper bitter and has a strange woody/earthy flavor.

I haven't had a good batch of Galaxy since 2016. I always buy from YVH and have noticed the super tropical flavors and aromas I would usually get have turned into a more earthy and muted flavor and aroma profile.

The dry hop strains are one of the most important part of this beer. They stands for the majority of the intense aroma and flavor.
Popular strains are

Citra
Mosaic
Galaxy
Nelson
Strata
Nectaron

And it seems like any mix of those will give a fantastic beer. Given that the hop quality is good. There has been problems with the quality of Galaxy available for homebrew so I have skipped that from my personal list. I have also skipped Mosaic since I am getting tired of that taste. But any combinations of Citra, Nelson, Strata and Nectaron is always really good.

Any other recommendations for winner strains for dry hopping?

Just used cosmic punch last week. I highly recommend it! It’s definitely a way fruitier/tropical version of LAIII. I’m about to do a second dry hop on that beer now. I mash hopped with cascade but I went light on it (10 AA for the entire batch) because I wasn’t sure what the rate they used was. I might mix that yeast and banaza next.

Just used cosmic punch last week. I highly recommend it! It’s definitely a way fruitier/tropical version of LAIII. I’m about to do a second dry hop on that beer now. I mash hopped with cascade but I went light on it (10 AA for the entire batch) because I wasn’t sure what the rate they used was. I might mix that yeast and banaza next.
so you sampled it after fermentation Im assuming? What was your attenuation of this? Wasn't sure if you sampled the hydrometer sample.

so you sampled it after fermentation Im assuming? What was your attenuation of this? Wasn't sure if you sampled the hydrometer sample.
I did sample it post. I also added a small amount of dry hops after I harvested yeast (day 3). The batch smelled lovely even before dry hopping - definitely more potent than LA III - lots more peach in the aroma. Post my gravity was 1.017, I mashed at 156. Going to dry hop it tomorrow at 50F. Can’t wait to have this beer

Attachments

• 3630AE8D-AA9C-4351-B6C3-4970C9CB5F20.jpeg
    3630AE8D-AA9C-4351-B6C3-4970C9CB5F20.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
I did sample it post. I also added a small amount of dry hops after I harvested yeast (day 3). The batch smelled lovely even before dry hopping - definitely more potent than LA III - lots more peach in the aroma. Post my gravity was 1.017, I mashed at 156. Going to dry hop it tomorrow at 50F. Can’t wait to have this beer
You had me at Peach. Ill have to try this yeast out.

Awesome, I'm also fermenting a NE pale ale with Cosmic Punch as we speak! Just hit 1.017 after 3 days, I'm hoping it'll go a wee bit lower though... No mash hops for me, but I did do some hefty late boil and whirlpool hops.

First brew on the Foundry didn't quite get me the efficiency that I wanted so it's a pale ale instead of an IPA. I'm going to try a sparge next time and will try not to forget the mashout.

Awesome, I'm also fermenting a NE pale ale with Cosmic Punch as we speak! Just hit 1.017 after 3 days, I'm hoping it'll go a wee bit lower though... No mash hops for me, but I did do some hefty late boil and whirlpool hops.

First brew on the Foundry didn't quite get me the efficiency that I wanted so it's a pale ale instead of an IPA. I'm going to try a sparge next time and will try not to forget the mashout.
What is the thinking behind mash hopping? You get more thiols?

The article I linked in my post above shows a small amount of data indicating that mash hopping resulted in more 3SH thiol in the beer than hopstand or malt alone/unhopped. Weirdly, the unhopped was higher than the hop stand version as well. Maybe the hopstand strips some thiols or maybe the longer time at hotter temps removes/degrades thiols, not sure.

Edit: actually, the mash hopped is kept hot for a lot longer, duh. maybe it is stabilized in the mash though. i have no idea.

What is the thinking behind mash hopping? You get more thiols?

Last edited:
I have never looked into mash hopping, how are you all going about it? As far as when to add and are you stirring or what's the process?
I haven’t done it before as I don’t really understand the point.

This yeast completely changes that though. With other yeast, those thiol precursors don’t become anything. That’s why hops with high levels of “free thiols” are so popular. Aka Nelson and whatnot. The thiols are already free and perceptible.

This yeast is converting stuff in hops (and malt) that we normally don’t sense, into aroma compounds.

Any feedback on the 2021 Galaxy before I order?
I had a local beer that used 2021 Galaxy in it. They aren’t the best producer of ipas so it hard to say for certainty how good it is but it did not have any not characteristic flavors or aromas.

Because of tht I took the chance and ordered a lb

Back