New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm looking to do something akin to Summer Street by Trillium, which is CTZ/Simcoe. Would like some feedback on the hop schedule. Here's what I'm thinking:

20min: 20ibu CTZ
Flameout: 2.5oz CTZ
Early dryhop: 1.5oz CTZ
After soft crash: 6oz Simcoe
Yeast: Torn between A24 and a blend of 1318 and BRY-97. Definitely open to suggestions here.

Columbus also comes in LupoMax, not sure if that would be worth getting (~2x the price, not that its much).

Last edited:
Of course success here largely depends on not getting a crap batch of simcoe, but hopefully YVH has my back there.

Haha this is too true... 2018 was great, 2019 was **** (for me), but I heard that 2020 is supposed to be good. I got my Simcoe from HopHeaven this year, but I hear that 2020 crops that YVH have are supposed to be good.

PS. I don't know if Trillium do an early dry hop, I think that JC mentioned somewhere that they do all of their dry hops at around 50F. I also think that they've been using 1318 since a few years back, unless other folks have conflicting info.

Haha this is too true... 2018 was great, 2019 was **** (for me), but I heard that 2020 is supposed to be good. I got my Simcoe from HopHeaven this year, but I hear that 2020 crops that YVH have are supposed to be good.

PS. I don't know if Trillium do an early dry hop, I think that JC mentioned somewhere that they do all of their dry hops at around 50F. I also think that they've been using 1318 since a few years back, unless other folks have conflicting info.
Yeah I was debating between doing the small early dry hop or just leaving CTZ out of cold-side and just adding more to the kettle. I'm wary of putting it in the cool dry hop as I feel the biotrans is what tamps down the herbal/pine.

Sounds like I'll probably do 1318 with BRY-97 or 05 then. I always get less than preferred attenuation with straight 1318.

Last edited:

I am minutes away to drop a pack of 2019 Cryo Simcoe from Yakima Chief Hops in the Fermenter You scare me!

Best used moderate and during fermenration, its more extract tasting then cryo
Really? That’s odd as it’s co2 extracted verses any solvents, you would think it would be clean/fresh tasting like t45. That’s too bad.

Have you used it? Is there a smaller size available in the uk?

Pretty sure other half has been using it in the HDHC beers

Really? That’s odd as it’s co2 extracted verses any solvents, you would think it would be clean/fresh tasting like t45. That’s too bad.

Have you used it? Pretty sure other half has been using it in the HDHC beers
Yes thats my experience so far, only did one commercial brew with it, also this is what Haas recommends

I am minutes away to drop a pack of 2019 Cryo Simcoe from Yakima Chief Hops in the Fermenter You scare me!

YCH most likely got different crops from YVH, I think most Simcoe lots are great, there is just that odd lot that's just really herby and dank. It's not terrible by any means, just more on a traditional WC IPA side rather than fruit. Let us know how it goes!

i just had some Trillium a friend brought me. One of them had so much hop burn I could only drink half of it. Horrible. Cutting Tiles El Dorado was the worst offender. The Treehouse I had recently was much much better than Trillium, just a little bit of burn on one or two or them.

I’m not used to hop burn at all anymore since I don’t add hops before the crash anymore.

i just had some Trillium a friend brought me. One of them had so much hop burn I could only drink half of it. Horrible. Cutting Tiles El Dorado was the worst offender. The Treehouse I had recently was much much better than Trillium, just a little bit of burn on one or two or them.

I’m not used to hop burn at all anymore since I don’t add hops before the crash anymore.
That sucks man. I just had el dorado cutting tiles and no hop burn but the swishium was loaded with it. It was almost undrinkable. I’m saving my other cans of it to condition for 2 weeks before I try again
F98C34EB-D725-4723-AEA3-9E2694FEAD44.jpeg

Trillium use to be my favorite brewery. The street series was unbelievable and I thought Fort Point was the best PA in the country. I’m not trying to put them down but I think with all the focus on expansion and some of the changes they’ve made to their recipes have really had a negative effect on quality. It’s been a long time since I’ve had a Trillium beer that was really good. The only one I loved was the Fort Point Other Half brewed on freaky Friday.

Was it a double dry hopped beer?

Am I reading the spec sheet that it’s 5-8 oz pellets to 1oz spectrum?
That’s what I’m getting. Looks like it’s roughly $10.5 US an oz for spectrum which has the potency equivalent of
getting Citra or mosaic at $1.30-$2.00 an oz. seems like if you could buy some 30ml syringes and split them with folks in your club and stored the rest cold it should be cost effective

That sucks man. I just had el dorado cutting tiles and no hop burn but the swishium was loaded with it. It was almost undrinkable. I’m saving my other cans of it to condition for 2 weeks before I try again View attachment 735600
Glad I didn’t go and pick up Swishium then lol.
They’ve mostly lost my business until they sell singles again. I only go there to buy the unfruited sours now.

I have been skimming this thread for a long time and will truthfully admit I have not read all 373 pages. I had a quick question about turbidity. I know the Janish stuff on malted grains over unmalted has been discussed here and I have altered my grain bill to match. I love my last batch of neipa but it still doesn't have that turbid/milky look. That being said I still bottle the beer and always make sure NOT to pour the gunk on the bottom into someone's glass. Should I just say screw it with this style and just pour the whole thing? Any thoughts if that would make a difference or just make a yeasty tasting beer?

I have been skimming this thread for a long time and will truthfully admit I have not read all 373 pages. I had a quick question about turbidity. I know the Janish stuff on malted grains over unmalted has been discussed here and I have altered my grain bill to match. I love my last batch of neipa but it still doesn't have that turbid/milky look. That being said I still bottle the beer and always make sure NOT to pour the gunk on the bottom into someone's glass. Should I just say screw it with this style and just pour the whole thing? Any thoughts if that would make a difference or just make a yeasty tasting beer?

What’s your dry hop load usually? You really need to be dry hopping at least 2oz/gallon minimum.

What’s your dry hop load usually? You really need to be dry hopping at least 2oz/gallon minimum.

I am typically at 2 oz/gallon. Last batch was a little less. For 3 gallons it was 1.5 oz whirlpool, 1.5 oz high fermentation, 2 oz 3 days before bottling. I have gone higher than 2 oz/gallon in the past (though not drastically more) and didnt see any difference in turbidity.

I am typically at 2 oz/gallon. Last batch was a little less. For 3 gallons it was 1.5 oz whirlpool, 1.5 oz high fermentation, 2 oz 3 days before bottling. I have gone higher than 2 oz/gallon in the past (though not drastically more) and didnt see any difference in turbidity.
I suggest removing the fermentation dry hop and putting it all at the end.

That being said I still bottle the beer and always make sure NOT to pour the gunk on the bottom into someone's glass. Should I just say screw it with this style and just pour the whole thing? Any thoughts if that would make a difference or just make a yeasty tasting beer?

I'd avoid it - durable haze comes from fine particles, not stuff that's heavy enough to form "gunk on the bottom". The haze is the least important part, how it tastes is what matters and you shouldn't compromise the taste by trying to chase a certain look. But the haze comes mostly from the interaction of certain sizes of protein molecule (mostly from your grist) with polyphenols (mostly from hops, particularly Southern Hemisphere hops). So what grist are you using, and which hops?

But the haze comes mostly from the interaction of certain sizes of protein molecule (mostly from your grist) with polyphenols (mostly from hops, particularly Southern Hemisphere hops). So what grist are you using, and which hops?

Last batch (and best one so far) was roughly 60% maris otter, 25% oats (mostly malted with some flaked), and white wheat malt. Hops were Cascade, El Dorado, Amarillo, Mosaic, Motueka.

Awesome awesome flavor with a beautiful fake candy mixed berry aroma and taste. Still hazy just like I said, not really turbid.

Last batch (and best one so far) was roughly 60% maris otter, 25% oats (mostly malted with some flaked), and white wheat malt. Hops were Cascade, El Dorado, Amarillo, Mosaic, Motueka.

Awesome awesome flavor with a beautiful fake candy mixed berry aroma and taste. Still hazy just like I said, not really turbid.
I’ve made countless “turbid” “milky” looking beers. I’ve come to prefer the slightly hazy beers over them. Just my opinion.

FV2 has now been tapped, as a recap it was hopped hotside with cascade and Columbus LUPOMAX and then dryhopped with Bru1 LUPOMAX & T90, Vic secret, and Citra LUPOMAX(decided to deviate from the original plan of Sabro)This beer Is special. Pineapple and tropical fruit with bright Citra character and an over all true hop flavor profile. It truly taste like a monkish beer which makes me happy. Definitely one of the hop combos I highly suggest you try. On top of that, try spelt malt at 20-25% and no other body building grains. It really seems to do wonders for the mouthfeel View attachment 732596
So Kyle from No Hype Beer Reviews did a review of this beer as well. Beer is now about 7 weeks from brew day. If you’re interested here is the link

So Kyle from No Hype Beer Reviews did a review of this beer as well. Beer is now about 7 weeks from brew day. If you’re interested here is the link

This is cool and all, but I’d prob rather have you do an honest review than this dude. He doesn’t strike me as all that knowledge. I feel like the little circle of frequent posters on this thread are probably some of the most informed, and well positioned to provide reviews on these beers.

Nevertheless it’s cool to see a good review, and I’m sure the beer is great. I just didn’t need this guy to tell me so. lol.

Cheers!

This is cool and all, but I’d prob rather have you do an honest review than this dude. He doesn’t strike me as all that knowledge. I feel like the little circle of frequent posters on this thread are probably some of the most informed, and well positioned to provide reviews on these beers.

Nevertheless it’s cool to see a good review, and I’m sure the beer is great. I just didn’t need this guy to tell me so. lol.

Cheers!
Lol I can see your point. I shared it for a non-bias critique of the beer as I don’t know him personally nor does he know the process of brewing. He’s a little long winded but since he offered to review my beers I figured I’d try to help get his name out there as he wants to start reviewing more hb

Lol I can see your point. I shared it for a not bias critique of the beer as I don’t know him well nor does he know the process of brewing. He’s a little long winded but since he offered to review my beers I figured I’d try to help get his name out there as he wants to start reviewing more hb
Totally understand...just joking around a little!

Anybody have a favorite hop combo with Nectaron? How much hot/cold side? I've got 8oz of it to use for my next batch :)
Citra or mosaic work well, but they work with everything. Did you just recently get the nectaron? I’m having a hard time finding it available to purchase.

Citra or mosaic work well, but they work with everything. Did you just recently get the nectaron? I’m having a hard time finding it available to purchase.

This bag was from YVH probably in April, I just haven't got around to doing anything with it. I was kinda tempted to do a 100% hazy pale ale with it but I've got so many frozen hops to use I thought why not see what others have combined it with.

This bag was from YVH probably in April, I just haven't got around to doing anything with it. I was kinda tempted to do a 100% hazy pale ale with it but I've got so many frozen hops to use I thought why not see what others have combined it with.
Got it. It might be worthwhile using it alone...it’s pretty impressive. I emailed YVH hops and asked them when we can expect this years nectaron to be available, and their initial response was June or July. I then followed up and they told me unfortunately they won’t be able to get ANY until 2023. It’s in super high demand and is going to be difficult for homebrewers to get in the near future.

Latest posts

Back