New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for the input, it is appreciated! What do you think of this revised hop schedule (added some citra at the end of the boil)? My 5.75G recipe has a predicted ABV of 7.8% std / 8.4% alt.

Magnum - .75 oz - 60 min
Citra - 1 oz - 10 min
---Combined these provide about 35 IBUs---
Citra - 4 oz - Whirlpool
Amarillo/Mosaic/Galaxy - 3/2/2 - Single Dryhop

Thank you for the input, it is appreciated! What do you think of this revised hop schedule (added some citra at the end of the boil)? My 5.75G recipe has a predicted ABV of 7.8% std / 8.4% alt.

Magnum - .75 oz - 60 min
Citra - 1 oz - 10 min
---Combined these provide about 35 IBUs---
Citra - 4 oz - Whirlpool
Amarillo/Mosaic/Galaxy - 3/2/2 - Single Dryhop
Looks good to me for a hop schedule. Keep o2 to the absolute minimum and you’ll have a solid beer. From there you’ll be able to make any adjustments you deem fit

I’m wondering if i should switch to EVAbarrier tubing for keg transfers as well.
Funny thing is that I have a bunch of EVABarrier lying around but no more fittings to get to the QD's. Just need to stop being cheap and grab some. With vinyl my beer would get noticeably oxidized in the lines after 2 days. It takes 10 days to even start changing with EVA. Probably waaay overkill but its all so easy so why not?
So silicone tubing is oxygen permeable... When doing a closed transfer from keg to keg (neipa) would using EVAbarrier tubing be beneficial for reducing g oxidation?

I’m wondering if i should switch to EVAbarrier tubing for keg transfers as well.

So silicone tubing is oxygen permeable... When doing a closed transfer from keg to keg (neipa) would using EVAbarrier tubing be beneficial for reducing g oxidation?
It’s never not beneficial but as long as you’re purging your vinyl lines prior to transferring, I personally can’t imagine o2 being an issue in that 10-20 minutes. Especially with flow

Last edited:

I'm super anal about O2 but this doesn't really concern me. The issue with O2 permeating through tubing I think is pretty slow so is more of an issue with the lines in the keezer as the keg sits there for days/weeks/months.

However, EVABarrier and duotight fightings are so easy to use and affordable it's just one more reason to switch your tubing over to it(for liquid/gas lines as well as jumpers).

Looks good to me for a hop schedule. Keep o2 to the absolute minimum and you’ll have a solid beer. From there you’ll be able to make any adjustments you deem fit

Brewed on Saturday, but I forgot to add the Citra for the last 10 minutes of the boil. I did end up boiling longer due to collecting too much wort and my pre-boil OG was 4-6 points low. I more than made up for it with a post-boil OG of 1.09 which is 8 points higher than expected. I attribute some of this to having just bought a new kettle so am dialing in the boil-off rate and actual volume as I think the inner marks may not be totally accurate. Excited to see how this one turns out nonetheless.

Had a successful brew day this weekend. First beer of 2021 with Bru-1, Azacca, and Sabro. Whirlpool had a lovely aroma. Slight deviation to my usual go-to grain bill. Mashed at 152.

69% Golden Promise
17% White wheat
12% Flaked oats
2% Acid malt

Hops
Bru-1
Azacca
Sabro

Yeast
3rd generation 1L LAiii starter - My most active fermentation to date with this yeast. Yeast all over the garage floor haha.

Water
126, 13, 16, 125, 193, 0

Excited for this hop combination.

Pulled a sample last night to get a SG reading. Aroma is pineapple and slightly tropical. My first DH was 2oz Azacca, 2oz Bru-1, and 1oz Sabro. Been in the fermentor for nine days now. Gonna keg it later this week!
3808A312-F0A9-4036-A5C2-D301C6887F9B.jpeg

I grew up and lived about 40 miles from them until about 2 years ago when I moved up to Albany. All I’ve ever heard is they are using a blend. They are huge on true brewing science and repeatability (both owners are MIT grads) as evident in their beer names lol but yea, they are open about most ingredients but very closed off on process. I’ve tried to harvest yeast from some doubles but no luck it getting a healthy repitch. I actually have a 4 pack of one of their pale ales sitting in the back of my beer fridge trying to get them as cold as possible so I can try to harvest from a low abv beer and send it out to a MTF member who can ruin genomes to find out what they are using.
Did you wind up harvesting the yeast and send it out? I've made a few starters from their cans and I've gotten intense banana hefe like character.

Hey guys just wanted to share a brewery with you guys that you really need to check out if you get the Opportunity. Fiden’s Brewing Co in Albany NY. They are absolutely blowing up locally and will sell out of 4bbl in 32 oz crowlers typically in 5 hours. No joke they are going to become top 5 in the nation it’s that good. Sam from other half visited and was so impressed he took kegs with him to put on as guest taps because he wanted to help them get their name out. (That says something). Here is their Necessary Means with Galaxy- Citra/mosaic hotside and Galaxy in the dryhop with a touch of Citra. No joke, probably top 10 beers I’ve had. View attachment 684634
Inspirered by this post I did a

WP: Mosaic, Citra 1:1
DH: Galaxy, Citra 5:1

Not impressed by the beer before the dry hop. And the Galaxy smelled like raw onion and gasoline, so I ordered new from another lhbs. Same smell. Last year Galaxy smelled serious delicious of citrus, grapefruit and mandarin. But not this time.

The neipa is the worst I have brewed in a long time. Pure diesel taste.

I also had some Vic Secret. Kind of same smell. I don't know how it is supposed to smell. But I don't want to end up with something like this again.

I used my well tested recipe and process (except I also tried Lallemand New England yeast).

It all comes down to the quality of the hops. Buying hops is like a lottery.

Not impressed by the beer before the dry hop. And the Galaxy smelled like raw onion and gasoline, so I ordered new from another lhbs. Same smell. Last year Galaxy smelled serious delicious of citrus, grapefruit and mandarin. But not this time.

I also had some Vic Secret. Kind of same smell. I don't know how it is supposed to smell. But I don't want to end up with something like this again.

I used my well tested recipe and process (except I also tried Lallemand New England yeast).

Same here with 2020 Galaxy. Its a wasted batch in my mind. I just added some Citra to my keg to see if I can salvage it but I think the damage is done.

Same here with 2020 Galaxy. Its a wasted batch in my mind. I just added some Citra to my keg to see if I can salvage it but I think the damage is done.
Did your’s smell good out of the bag and then just not come through or was it always off?

Did your’s smell good out of the bag and then just not come through or was it always off?
Smelled fine, not mind blowing but OK. Then it just did not deliver anything in the final product except for some mouthfeel/thickness that I always get with Galaxy.

I have to wonder if Galaxy crops just exploded because of the money to be made and its expanded beyond its happy terroir range. Sucks because I have a pound of it to use up. I feel like we need a way to guinea pig all the new hop crops with a known recipe and then report out to the forum what's hot and what's not every year.

Smelled fine, not mind blowing but OK. Then it just did not deliver anything in the final product except for some mouthfeel/thickness that I always get with Galaxy.
That sucks. My Galaxy has been good so far but I do have two different AAs of it and have only used packages of the one so far. I will say Nelson took over a beer tht was dryhopped 3:2 Galaxy to Nelson. This Nelson is really good a have so I’m not sure if the Galaxy just didn’t deliver as it usually does or the Nelson was that good.

I’ve gotten garlic onion notes/kinda like burnt rubber with mosaic before when I opened a pack. I threw them right out.

I will say I’ve been pretty damn lucky in the past few years getting some good quality hops but for sure it’s all about quality

I have to wonder if Galaxy crops just exploded because of the money to be made and its expanded beyond its happy terroir range.

Probably not a terroir issue as such, more just a question of rapid expansion leading to "new" farmers of it, who take a harvest or two to work out how to treat it right, harvest at the right time etc. Citra went through a rough patch when it was going through a rapid expansion in the early teens.

Poured a sample of my latest NEIPA the other day using Vic Secret, Lupomax Sabro and Galaxy. View attachment 715342

Overall I am loving the aroma and the flavor is on point but it has a fair amount of the dreaded hop burn.

I feel like I get at least some hop burn whenever I use Galaxy in particular. It will fade out with some time but it is frustrating and has led me to avoid using Galaxy for awhile...guess I will go back to avoiding it.
Update on this beer, I pulled a sample tonight and the hop burn is almost completely gone after only 4 days in the keg. I use a Clear Beer Draught system for all my NEIPAs so that also helps. No more Galaxy for me, unless I can get my hands on some Cryo.

Update on this beer, I pulled a sample tonight and the hop burn is almost completely gone after only 4 days in the keg. I use a Clear Beer Draught system for all my NEIPAs so that also helps. No more Galaxy for me, unless I can get my hands on some Cryo.

My understanding is that even the best pros have this hop burn on their NEIPAs until they've conditioned for a week or so. If I can get great Galaxy, or any other prize hops, I don't mind sitting on a keg for a week and reaping the rewards -- in fact I would expect it. Why swear off a hop that adds insane goodness to your beer just because you need to let it sit for another 7 days?

Try dryhoping at cooler temps with Galaxy, avoid it in fermentation, and in large portions of the whirlpool. This may rekindle your love with Galaxy

Try dryhoping at cooler temps with Galaxy, avoid it in fermentation, and in large portions of the whirlpool. This may rekindle your love with Galaxy
Agreed with all of this. When im using galaxy, I like to add a little in the WP (0.5-1.5oz) which I think helps to accentuate the overall flavor in the finished product. Im DHing at about 60, but sometimes a little cooler at 58ish. At kegging time, I typically get an intense flavor with a little hop burn perhaps but it quickly subsides in conditioning quite well. I know others have been disappointed with galaxy of late it seems, but I still love it.

I posted this in the best hop combos thread a little while ago, but if anyone is looking for an absolutely outstanding hop combo, Moutere & nectaron is fantastic! you get a restrained but present NZ diesel in the background but its a tropical/peach bliss! Definitely one that will be repeated over n over for me. Great aromatics and flavor overall. My wife, who is gracious to support my brewing hobby asked me to brew it again soon! If only I had enough nectaron for another brew, damn YVH is sold out!
IMG_9008-3.jpg
IMG_9224.jpg
IMG_9222.jpg

Last edited:
I posted this in the best hop combos thread a little while ago, but if anyone is looking for an absolutely outstanding hop combo, Moutere & nectaron is fantastic! you get a restrained but present NZ diesel in the background but its a tropical/peach bliss! Definitely one that will be repeated over n over for me. Great aromatics and flavor overall. My wife, who is gracious to support my brewing hobby asked me to brew it again soon! If only I had enough nectaron for another brew, damn YVH is sold out!
View attachment 715917 View attachment 715919View attachment 715918
I am also going to try nectaron in one of my next batches.

My lhbs recommends
WP: Nectaron, Mosaic 1:1
DH: Nectaron, Mosaic 1:1

But inspired you post I might try something like
WP: Moutere, Nectaron 2:1
DH: Nectaron

What was your ratio?

My understanding is that even the best pros have this hop burn on their NEIPAs until they've conditioned for a week or so. If I can get great Galaxy, or any other prize hops, I don't mind sitting on a keg for a week and reaping the rewards -- in fact I would expect it. Why swear off a hop that adds insane goodness to your beer just because you need to let it sit for another 7 days?

So, if i'm being honest, I think I have come to the realization that I don't really like galaxy as much as most do. I mean, I have had some good beers that use galaxy, but for the most part, even the best commercial example galaxy beers tend to disappoint me. Plus, there are so many other excellent hop choices that don't burn out your palate.

For this beer I used 1oz galaxy in the whirlpool and 3 oz in the dry hop (along with other hops of course) so it wasn't an obscene amount. I also completely fermented out the beer and soft crashed to 50 for 2 days before dry hopping it, so I'm not sure what else I could have done.

Last edited:
So, if i'm being honest, I think I have come to the realization that I don't really like galaxy as much as most do. I mean, I have had some good beers that use galaxy, but for the most part, even the best commercial example galaxy beers tend to disappoint me. Plus, there are so many other excellent hop choices that don't burn out your palate.

For this beer I used 1oz galaxy in the whirlpool and 3 oz in the dry hop (along with other hops of course) so it wasn't an obscene amount. I also completely fermented out the beer and soft crashed to 50 for 2 days before dry hopping it, so I'm not sure what else I could have done.
What was the actual dryhop temperature?

I'll also add that I have had a recent bad experience with Galaxy hops. I made an NEIPA with a typical combination of Galaxy/ Citra/ Mosaic and the resulting beer tasted so bad that I thought that it had a wild yeast contamination- it was incredibly astringent and tasted like a rubber band to me. That may not be the best description of the flavor, but that is what came to mind.

Anyway, I was not even considering that it was the hops that made that awful flavor until I dry hopped an already condition keg of Pale Ale with some of the left over Galaxy. The keg tasted fine before the dry hop- I just wanted to give it a little more aroma. Twenty-four hours later, I poured a pint of that Pale Ale and it had the same terrible flavor as my previously mentioned NEIPA. That's when I realized that it was the Galaxy hops that had caused the astringent rubber band flavor in my NEIPA. I know that I can't be absolutely certain about this, but it seems like a logical conclusion. Hearing that other people are having bad experiences with Galaxy does help me feel a little more confident in my suspicions about my particular Galaxy purchase.

I feel like I’m always pointing out these podcasts, but they have such good information relevant to the conversations that go on here. If you go to 55 minutes in you can hear them talk for a few minutes about their experience with galaxy. Some really interesting insight.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/0h...Q&context=spotify:show:5qAcFJkubk8dENGb9DrR9S

Haha, Galaxy roulette! I lost the Riwaka roulette I think. Although it could just be a personal aversion to diesel. I think @couchsending has similar issues. Good insight about Motueka though, I love the hop, but using it in >30% of the grist is just going to lower overall hop intensity and absorb a ton of beer.

I feel like I’m always pointing out these podcasts, but they have such good information relevant to the conversations that go on here. If you go to 55 minutes in you can hear them talk for a few minutes about their experience with galaxy. Some really interesting insight.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/0h...Q&context=spotify:show:5qAcFJkubk8dENGb9DrR9S
Listened to that podcast after you recommended it and was very interesting what they said about galaxy. Seemingly Hop Breeding Australia mix all the lots of the hops they get. So you could have some good and some not so good in your pack. I got 2020 Galaxy from Yakima and it was terrible, smelled of broccoli and got nothing out of it in the beer, thankfully no off flavors but no Galaxy goodness. I emailed Yakima and the sent me a lb as an apology but haven't used or opened it yet.

Listened to that podcast after you recommended it and was very interesting what they said about galaxy. Seemingly Hop Breeding Australia mix all the lots of the hops they get. So you could have some good and some not so good in your pack. I got 2020 Galaxy from Yakima and it was terrible, smelled of broccoli and got nothing out of it in the beer, thankfully no off flavors but no Galaxy goodness. I emailed Yakima and the sent me a lb as an apology but haven't used or opened it yet.

Dear Yakima,

I recently purchased some 2020 Galaxy hops from you and they smelled and tasted terrible.

Yakima response: Sorry about that, here's another pound!

Well cr@p, I have some Galaxy I just bought from YVH and planning to use in the next few days. I haven't opened it up yet as I've not yet had any issues. Guess I better at least check it out.

Dear Yakima,

I recently purchased some 2020 Galaxy hops from you and they smelled and tasted terrible.

Yakima response: Sorry about that, here's another pound!
Yeap, that's exactly how it went. Great customer service. Didn't even say it to me till it was in the post.

Well cr@p, I have some Galaxy I just bought from YVH and planning to use in the next few days. I haven't opened it up yet as I've not yet had any issues. Guess I better at least check it out.
Let us know how it smells. Should really crack my lb open to see what it's like.

Yeap, that's exactly how it went. Great customer service. Didn't even say it to me till it was in the post.
Haha, I'm just having a little fun. I have never had a bad experience with Yakima's customer service/shipping thus far.

I just thought it was funny that they would send you another pound of hops that you just complained were bad.

Let us know how it smells. Should really crack my lb open to see what it's like.

Mine smell okay, but not nearly as fragrant as the Citra and Magnum I just used during the brew. TBH, I don't know recall exactly how they should smell as it's been a while since I've had some Galaxy, but they don't smell "bad" in at all. Given the fact that these are meant to largely be aroma hops, I have concerns this batch will be a disappointment, simply based on what I think they should smell like comparatively.

Last edited:
I made an absolutely awful galaxy beer a couple months ago. Honestly it was the first beer ever I didn't even want to try to work through at all, I just dumped it. Even my first few batches when I started that weren't great were more drinkable than that one. It was ultra astringent even after conditioning a bit and had an odd smell. My yeast(Omega DIPA) way under-attenuated and finished at like 1.025 so I just chalked it up to yeast issues but maybe the galaxy wasn't helping. Maybe the high FG locked in more polyphenols?

Last edited:
Haha, Galaxy roulette! I lost the Riwaka roulette I think. Although it could just be a personal aversion to diesel. I think @couchsending has similar issues. Good insight about Motueka though, I love the hop, but using it in >30% of the grist is just going to lower overall hop intensity and absorb a ton of beer.

I’ve used Riwaka a fair amount. Bought it from AUS when it wasn’t available here, got some from YVH, scored some hand selected Freestyle Riwaka.. had plenty of beers from Hill Farmstead and Cellarmaker that highlighted Riwaka

They all had some solid levels of diesel. If the Riwaka Shaun Hill gets is pretty diesely then that hop is gonna be diesely.

Back