New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am currently drinking my first ever brewed Pilsner after 45 batches. This beer is now sitting at around 7 weeks and getting better by the week. This NZ Pils recipe (courtesy of Dgallo) was hopped with 2oz Nelson and 1oz Riwaka all in the boil, no dry hop. Originally the Nelson wine grape flavor dominated, but now the sweet fruit from the Riwaka is coming through. I get a hint of the machine oil/vanilla thing but I find it's pleasant. This is my first ever pilsner as i hate the style because I always find US pils boring, but after brewing this NZ Pils this will likely be a regular on tap.

I'm still blown away by how much the 3oz of hops pop in this beer even after 7 weeks and no dry hop. Makes me wonder how much I have been over doing my NEIPA recipes.
That's a winning recipe, I can personally attest.

Th is my first ever pilsner as i hate the style because I always find US pils boring, but after brewing this NZ Pils this will likely be a regular on tap.

I'm still blown away by how much the 3oz of hops pop in this beer even after 7 weeks and no dry hop. Makes me wonder how much I have been over doing my NEIPA recipes.

Where do you live? I’d suggest seeking out the places that really brew great lagers, the ones that really care. Once you’ve had the best it will help you understand how truly amazing they are and how unbelievably hard they are to brew. I will tell you the more you learn about lager brewing the better your brewing will get in general.

Fermenting colder helps certain compounds stay in the beer. They’re less likely to get blown off as opposed to a warmer faster ferment.

If anyone is looking for a different hop combo that is totally awesome: Moutere / Nectaron is the bomb!
Its strong tropical flavor with smooth grapefruit and some background earth/pine that I love.

IMG_9009.jpg
IMG_9012.jpg

2020 lupomax is live on YVH. Citra, mosaic And sabro like last year. They added equanot, amarillo so far. YVH IG story also says they should have BRU1 but not showing available yet. A couple more varieties to go

edit: I had assumed that if the varietal wasn’t crossed out it was available. That appears to not be the case as Citra mosaic and sabro are “sold out” or “not available” so far. The post from YVH was a repost from barth haas, they said they have all the ones I listed, so I imagine it’s a matter of time before we get the email

2020 lupomax is live on YVH. Citra, mosaic And sabro like last year. They added equanot, amarillo so far. YVH IG story also says they should have BRU1 but not showing available yet. A couple more varieties to go

edit: I had assumed that if the varietal wasn’t crossed out it was available. That appears to not be the case as Citra mosaic and sabro are “sold out” or “not available” so far. The post from YVH was a repost from barth haas, they said they have all the ones I listed, so I imagine it’s a matter of time before we get the email
Thank you for the update

What was peoples impression of the 2019 Lupomax? I got the Citra and Mosaic, wasn't blown away by the Citra. No obvious difference from T90 except maybe volume.

What was peoples impression of the 2019 Lupomax? I got the Citra and Mosaic, wasn't blown away by the Citra. No obvious difference from T90 except maybe volume.
I thought it was terrific. Best expression of Citra ive gotten. Not excessively potent but just clean and pure Citra

Interesting. Used mine in a Citra/Galaxy Verdant clone and was really underwhelmed by the outcome. I still have the Mosaic to try out. I think I need to go back to look at my processes as I haven't been happy with any of my NEIPAs the last few months. They're getting worse not better. A friend said to me if he didn't know better and how I brew he'd swear there was very little hops used. All my beers are dry hopped with 20-25g/L

I purchased 2019 Lupomax Citra and Mosaic back in September. I used those plus some El Dorado and Strata to make neipa in October. I noticed some initial harshness for most of the first month, but then great after that. I actually still have a little left in the keg and the hop pop has mellowed a bit but still smells fantastic. In fact I poured a pint last week and my wife was able to smell it from across the room as I walked in. I guess I didn't really answer your question other than to say I was quite happy with it.

What do y'all think of a NEIPA using Columbus and Loral hops? Would this combo be attractive? Maybe a 2 to 1 ratio of Columbus:Loral.

Or, is there a 3rd hop that I could use in there that would be nice? Plan to use all 2 or 3 hops simultaneously throughout the process, and not just one at one stage, one at dry hop, etc. I was thinking Idaho 7. Target ABV looking to be closer to 6%, maybe even high 5's.

What do y'all think of a NEIPA using Columbus and Loral hops? Would this combo be attractive? Maybe a 2 to 1 ratio of Columbus:Loral.

Or, is there a 3rd hop that I could use in there that would be nice? Plan to use all 2 or 3 hops simultaneously throughout the process, and not just one at one stage, one at dry hop, etc. I was thinking Idaho 7. Target ABV looking to be closer to 6%, maybe even high 5's.
I’m not a fan of Loral personally in ipas but I could see it being great in a lager. That said I use Columbus easily in 50% of my ipas. It’s a great way to keep a base of true hop character and then let the fruit forward hops take the lead

Last edited:
Didn’t like the Citra or Mosaic lupomax I bought. The stuff I got was heavy on the sweaty/oniony aspects of those hops. It was definitely potent but too “dirty” for me to want to buy it again. I’ve had much better luck with Cryo being more “True to Type”.

Loral could be a decent hop to use on the hotside. It’s rather high on the YCH “survivable” chart. A small portion of it in the DH could be cool to add dimension but Columbus/Loral as a combo I don’t think would be that great personally. Maybe hotside Columbus/Loral then something to totally different in the DH.

I love the idea especially using those all on the hot side. Loral has crazy amounts of linalool. The three you listed are all very high on the list of "survivables" listed in this Janish post http://scottjanish.com/survivables-unpacking-hot-side-hop-flavor/

edit: whoops just now seeing couchsending posted pretty much the same thing right before me.

Last edited:
Can’t remember which podcast it was, probably a CB&B, but I remember someone saying adding a small amount of Loral really helped their IPA. I want to say it was a Citra beer.

Thanks for the input, y'all! Just planning my next brew day and I have never done a hazy before, just a bunch of other styles. Been studying up on how to keep it low ox with my system and am going from there.

My latest came out ok but not what I was going for. I’d love to get some feedback on my recipe and process for some possible trouble points or improvement opportunities. I think I represent a lot of what this thread talks about, but I'm missing something...

Heres what I did:
72% Pilsner
17% white wheat
6% rolled oats
3% malted rye
1.5% honey malt
1.068->1.010

All the hops were 2020 new packages from YVH.
60 min boil. 25 ibus of Columbus
Flame out drop temp to 165, 4 oz RIWAKA and 2 oz CITRA loose in grainfather.
Immersion chilled to 65F. Pump clogged (not sure why I’ve been ok with this many loose kettle hops before.) Had to manually dump all the wort thru a funnel into fermentation keg - so tons of trub and hop matter in the FV - interesting accidental experiment, might have been where I went astray.

Active starter of Omega DIPA. FV is a 10 gallon corney keg. Spunding valve to 2-3psi.
Fermentation at 67F

Day 5 done fermenting, increased temp to 70 and pressurize to 12 psi. FG 1.010.
Day 7 cold crash to 45.
Day 9 dry hop loose at 58. 2oz Riwaka, 2 oz Citra.
Day 10 dry hop 4 oz NELSON and 2 oz citra and 0.2g kmeta.
Day 12 cold crash to 36f.
I dry hop loose by opening the lid with 2-3 psi of CO2 running thru the gas line.
Day 14 into serving keg, good closed transfer practices keg to keg.

Result:
The aroma is very nice definitely sweet fruit, hop flavor is rich, big mouthfeel. But the overall impression is a full bodied American ipa - not a hazy juicy fresh neipa. It doesn’t have that fruit juice flavor or that hop bag fresh aroma. The appearence of this version I dont find very attractive, a little amber and translucent haze, I’d like the appearance to be more pale yellow and hazy milky

Here’s what I think I should change:
Change malt bill to Pilsner and 20% malted oats, Target 6-6.5% - go for lighter and brighter
Transfer off clear beer into fermenter.
Switch yeast back to 1318 or juice, just not digging what I got from this conan
Go back to a mid fermentation dry hop. Then cold crash and then dry hop again at 60F, maybe try keg hopping again.

Need some fresh eyes on this, cuz I don't think I'm getting the results I could be.
1609393359898.jpeg

1609393313570.jpeg

Last edited:
My latest came out ok but not what I was going for. I’d love to get some feedback on my recipe and process for some possible trouble points or improvement opportunities.

Heres what I did:
72% Pilsner
17% white wheat
6% rolled oats
3% malted rye
1.5% honey malt
1.068->1.010

Flame out drop temp to 165, 4 oz Riwaka and 2 oz citra loose in grainfather.

Chilled to 65F. Pump clogged (not sure why I’ve been ok with this many loose kettle hops before.) Had to manually dump all the wort thru a funnel into fermentation keg - so tons of trub and hop matter in the FV - interesting accidental experiment, might have been where I went astray

Active starter of imperial DIPA. FV is a 10G corney keg. Spunding valve to 2-3psi.
Fermentation at 67F done after 5 days, up temp to 70 and pressurize to 12 psi. FG 1.010. Day 7 cold crash to 45.

Day 9 dry hop loose at 58. 2oz riwaka, 2 oz citra.
Day 10 dry hop 4 oz Nelson and 2 oz citra and 0.2g kmeta.
I dry hop loose by opening the lid with 2-3 psi of CO2 running thru the gas line.

The aroma is very nice definitely sweet fruit, hop flavor is rich, big mouthfeel. But the overall impression is a full bodied American ipa - not a hazy juicy fresh neipa. It doesn’t have that fruit juice flavor or that hop bag fresh aroma. The appearence of this version I dont find very attractive, a little Amber and translucent haze, I’d like the appearance to be more pale yellow and hazy milky

Change malt bill to Pilsner and 20% malted oats, Target 6-6.5%
Switch yeast back to 1318 or juice.
Go back to a mid fermentation dry hop. Then cold crash and then dry hop again at 60F, maybe after transferring into serving keg.
Need some fresh eyes on this, cuz I don't think I'm getting the results I could be. View attachment 712466

View attachment 712465
Do you use rye often? From my experience using rye, the spicy character increases the perception of crispness or drier finish and can exemplify bitterness. With you also having a lower fg (it’s not too low. I’ve personally been targeting 1.012 lately) and using rye, I could Imagine that the beer is being perceived decently dry and slightly more bitter which could be taking away from the overall juiciness.

The other thing I notice that is more so about the lighter haze but could effect the juiciness would be that all the trub got transferred into the fermenter. Whirlfloc tablets are really just an addition of large molecule weighted protein that attracts more proteins to it. Since trub consists of the heaviest molecule weight protein, in theory it will kind of act as whirlfloc and attract more proteins to it during fermentation and will cause a clearing effect. Which could of be why the beer is not as hazy as you intended.

Last edited:
Conan will let them hops shine, LA111 will mute them slightly but, especially when fermented warm, produce more generic “fruit juice” character. As will adding dry hops during fermentation so that sounds like what you’re going for.

The pump clogged on the inside or the screen just got so caked wort wouldn’t pass through? When using an immersion chiller and chilling that low in the GF you’ll get much more break material settling that will cake the filter. I just make sure I’ve got a sanitized paddle/spoon and lightly scrape off the back section of half the filter and throttle the pump down. Dumping all the trub into the FV definitely didn’t help your cause.

I know the Veil has been discussed on this thread, but does anyone have good information on the yeast used in their NEIPAs? It does seem that they use RVA yeast labs in at least some beers.

Relatedly, I should have the opportunity to pick some RVA labs yeast in a few days. Doe anyone have experience with their Manchester and Conan strains? From Janish's old posts, it sounds like the Manchester strain is unique enough cf. 1318 to try.

Do you use rye often? From my experience using rye, the spicy character increases the perception of crispness or drier finish and can exemplify bitterness. With you also having a lower fg (it’s not too low. I’ve personally been targeting 1.012 lately) and using rye, I could Imagine that the beer is being perceived decently dry and slightly more bitter which could be taking away from the overall juiciness.

The other thing I notice that is more so about the lighter haze but could effect the juiciness would be that all the trub got transferred into the fermenter. Whirlfloc tablets are really just an addition of large molecule weighted protein that attracts more proteins to it. Since trub consists of the heaviest molecule weight protein, in theory it will kind of act as whirlfloc and attract more proteins to it during fermentation and will cause a clearing effect. Which could of be why the beer is not as hazy as you intended.
Thanks for the fresh eyes.

I've done a number of Hazy Pale ales (5.5-6.0%) with 10% rye, citra and centennial that I loved so I thought I'd give it a shot. Your deinately right about that little bit of spicy character emphasizing the crisp bitterness tho.

Yes I think the massive amounts of trub in my FV had to dull the suspension of flavors in haze.

Conan will let them hops shine, LA111 will mute them slightly but, especially when fermented warm, produce more generic “fruit juice” character. As will adding dry hops during fermentation so that sounds like what you’re going for.

The pump clogged on the inside or the screen just got so caked wort wouldn’t pass through? When using an immersion chiller and chilling that low in the GF you’ll get much more break material settling that will cake the filter. I just make sure I’ve got a sanitized paddle/spoon and lightly scrape off the back section of half the filter and throttle the pump down. Dumping all the trub into the FV definitely didn’t help your cause.
Yes it clogged at the screen being caked on with hops. I used a false bottom as well so I couldn't get to it to scrape. I think part of what clogged it worse was I tried running the pump during the chill so that sucked a bunch of particles into the screen instead of giving the solids a chance to sink below the screen. I'm planning on using a huge hop spider and running the pump back into the hop spider. Pump shouldn't clog and and the flow of wort thru the hops should help with extraction.

Last edited:
Thanks for the fresh eyes.

I've done a number of Hazy Pale ales (5.5-60%) with 10% rye, citra and centennial that I loved so I thought I'd give it a shot. Your deinately right about that little bit of spicy character emphasizing the crisp bitterness tho.

Yes I think the massive amounts of trub in my FV had to dull the suspension of flavors in haze.

Yes it clogged at the screen being caked on with hops. I used a false bottom as well so I couldn't get to it to scrape. I think part of what clogged it worse was I tried running the pump during the chill so that sucked a bunch of particles into the screen instead of giving the solids a chance to sink below the screen. I'm planning on using a huge hop spider and running the pump back into the hop spider. Pump shouldn't clog and and the flow of wort thru the hops should help with extraction.

This is exactly what I do. Works great!

the massive trub and hops leads to more astringency and bitterness and a drier perception. Also, i find pils malt to lead to a drier perception.

My latest came out ok but not what I was going for. I’d love to get some feedback on my recipe and process for some possible trouble points or improvement opportunities. I think I represent a lot of what this thread talks about, but I'm missing something...

Heres what I did:
72% Pilsner
17% white wheat
6% rolled oats
3% malted rye
1.5% honey malt
1.068->1.010

Flame out drop temp to 165, 4 oz RIWAKA and 2 oz CITRA loose in grainfather.
Immersion chilled to 65F. Pump clogged (not sure why I’ve been ok with this many loose kettle hops before.) Had to manually dump all the wort thru a funnel into fermentation keg - so tons of trub and hop matter in the FV - interesting accidental experiment, might have been where I went astray.

Active starter of Omega DIPA. FV is a 10 gallon corney keg. Spunding valve to 2-3psi.
Fermentation at 67F

Day 5 done fermenting, increased temp to 70 and pressurize to 12 psi. FG 1.010.
Day 7 cold crash to 45.
Day 9 dry hop loose at 58. 2oz Riwaka, 2 oz Citra.
Day 10 dry hop 4 oz NELSON and 2 oz citra and 0.2g kmeta.

Result:
The aroma is very nice definitely sweet fruit, hop flavor is rich, big mouthfeel. But the overall impression is a full bodied American ipa - not a hazy juicy fresh neipa. It doesn’t have that fruit juice flavor or that hop bag fresh aroma. The appearence of this version I dont find very attractive, a little amber and translucent haze, I’d like the appearance to be more pale yellow and hazy milky

Change malt bill to Pilsner and 20% malted oats, Target 6-6.5% - go for lighter and brighter
Switch yeast back to 1318 or juice, just not digging what I got from this conan
Go back to a mid fermentation dry hop. Then cold crash and then dry hop again at 60F, maybe try keg hopping again.

Need some fresh eyes on this, cuz I don't think I'm getting the results I could be.
View attachment 712466

View attachment 712465

My neipas are sensible to movements of the keg. If I tap like half of the keg over a few weeks and then move it and starts tapping again, then it is a completely different beer coming out of the tap.
Much more bitter and unattractive. I guess hop particles are getting resuspended into the beer.

Even an extended soft crash for 6 days and an extended cold crash for 12 days at -2C (28F) does not solve the problem.

Are you having similar problems?

My neipas are sensible to movements of the keg. If I tap like half of the keg over a few weeks and then move it and starts tapping again, then it is a completely different beer coming out of the tap.
Much more bitter and unattractive. I guess hop particles are getting resuspended into the beer.

Even an extended soft crash for 6 days and an extended cold crash for 12 days at -2C (28F) does not solve the problem.

Are you having similar problems?

How are you transferring to keg? I’ve found that since using a Fermzilla my kegs have little to no hop particulate from transfer. I know others in this thread have made their own Clear Beer Draft System for their FV as well.

Being able to transfer wort from the top in my FV has made a huge difference for me personally.

How are you transferring to keg? I’ve found that since using a Fermzilla my kegs have little to no hop particulate from transfer. I know others in this thread have made their own Clear Beer Draft System for their FV as well.

Being able to transfer wort from the top in my FV has made a huge difference for me personally.

I ferment in a cornelius keg and transfer to another dry hop cornelius keg and then to a serving keg.

I use reduced length dip tubes for the transfering. So I leave 2.5L in the fermenter keg and 2.0L in the dry hop keg. I dry hop with 170-180g hop pellets.

Closed system. I can't see what is going on. But first pour from the dry hop keg has no hop burn. Only after a few weeks in the serving keg plus movements.
I could try to leave even more behind in the dry hop keg.

What is that "Clear Beer Draft System"?

I can get my hands on some Nectaron.
Would it be best for whirlpool or dry hop?
And what what you recommend for pairing?

So you expect that I get some hop sentiments transfered to the serving keg?!

Does any of you have hop burn problems after moving the keg?

If moving your keg kicks sediment back into suspension then it’s definitely a possibility. Personally, I’ve found that since soft crashing before dry hop and using a floating dip tube to transfer to keg, I’ve never once had any hop burn and my beers have improved significantly.

Yes, I would highly recommend trying a soft crash before dry hop if you can do it. I never have hop burn anymore. I've done at least 3 beers dry hopping at 50F now after crashing the yeast. They are super smooth and thick and juicy 24 hrs after racking to keg. It's insane. I haven't done a comparison of the hop flavor though. I think there is probably a difference in hop flavor somehow.

I watched a video featuring "Tropes" from Resident Culture, and he said that if you do a post-fermentation, post-crash dry hop, you are going to get a lot more of the out-of-the-bag character and that if you have poor quality hops, it will be less forgiving than if you add them during fermentation or in the hop stand. I think I can see that. When you add the hops after crash it's just the compounds that come out of the hops with no modification. If the hops are good, the beer is good. If the hops are bad, the beer will be bad. But, I haven't had any burn at all, even with heavy additions of Galaxy.

I also was noticing how Treehouse and Industrial Arts beers often have a bit of burn to me. I believe Treehouse adds hops during fermentation, and I know Industrial Arts does, so that helps to explain the burn.

Tropes did recommend adding some hops during fermentation and then most after crashing, which seems like a compromise. I might try that, but I am not excited to do it due to the prospect of hop creep again. Hop creep is a thing of the past if you dry hop cooler.

Yes, I would highly recommend trying a soft crash before dry hop if you can do it. I never have hop burn anymore. I've done at least 3 beers dry hopping at 50F now after crashing the yeast. They are super smooth and thick and juicy 24 hrs after racking to keg. It's insane. I haven't done a comparison of the hop flavor though. I think there is probably a difference in hop flavor somehow.

I watched a video featuring "Tropes" from Resident Culture, and he said that if you do a post-fermentation, post-crash dry hop, you are going to get a lot more of the out-of-the-bag character and that if you have poor quality hops, it will be less forgiving than if you add them during fermentation or in the hop stand. I think I can see that. When you add the hops after crash it's just the compounds that come out of the hops with no modification. If the hops are good, the beer is good. If the hops are bad, the beer will be bad. But, I haven't had any burn at all, even with heavy additions of Galaxy.

I also was noticing how Treehouse and Industrial Arts beers often have a bit of burn to me. I believe Treehouse adds hops during fermentation, and I know Industrial Arts does, so that helps to explain the burn.

Tropes did recommend adding some hops during fermentation and then most after crashing, which seems like a compromise. I might try that, but I am not excited to do it due to the prospect of hop creep again. Hop creep is a thing of the past if you dry hop cooler.
I feel like the other benefit of hopping this way is that I get waaay more mileage out of my hops. I can do a 5oz dryhop in 5 gallons that will blow you away whereas before soft crashing/transferring to DH keg I wouldn't get half the flavor with double the hops.

Has anyone paired Enigma, Mosaic, and Nelson yet?

I was looking through my hops last night and saw I had 2 oz of mosaic LUPOMAX. I was thinking that combo would make for a really interesting berry forward beer with some great earthy dankness to back it up

NZ 3X OAT NEIPA.jpg

77% Pils, 6.5% each of Oat malt, Flaked Oats, and Golden Naked Oats. 2:2:2 of Moutere, Riwaka, and Wai-iti. More Moutere hot, more Riwaka + Wai-iti cold. Lallemand Verdant yeast at 67F. 2:1 CH/SUL, dry-hopped after fermentation was complete at 60F.

Still dialing in mash efficiency on the Anvil system so this came out at a chill 5.5% after some bad OG numbers. Still an awesome Pale though. Got to compare it to a Cellarmaker 5.5% all Galaxy PA, and everything was competing with it minus the aroma. Definately giving the Verdant another go (compared to WLP008), but going with a mix of Pils and Two row, and all Oat malt/White wheat malt. Pilsner I find is just to light even with the GNO in this batch.

Even with flushing my fermenter with C02 during/post dry hop and closed transfer, I'm not getting the aroma I want. The only change I think I can make would be to loose hop into the fermenter/keg rather than bag. Any other suggestions would be much appreciated. Cheers!

Just some feedback on Nectaron hops. Used them 50/50 split with 1 batch of citra and 1 batch of mosaic. In the mosaic beer it got totally overtaken by mosaic (should have known better) the citra batch is better but also citra is very prevelant. So my take on nectaron is its not as heavy as these. I did get some character from it in a single I tried before and managed to pick some of that up in my citra version.
Next time I will let Nectaron be the star of the show.

So going ahead with that combo

Grain
70% Pilsner
17% wheat malt
10% oat malt
3% honey malt
Targeting OG 1.072
Targeting FG 1.012-1.014
Yeast: Imperial A24

Boil
Magnum @60 - 20 ibus
Enigma @ 10

Hopstand
Enigma & Mosiac pellet 2:1

Dryhop
Enigma, Nelson, & Mosaic LUPOMAX
2:1:1 by weight

So going ahead with that combo

Grain
70% Pilsner
17% wheat malt
10% oat malt
3% honey malt
Targeting OG 1.072
Targeting FG 1.012-1.014
Yeast: Imperial A24

Boil
Magnum @60 - 20 ibus
Enigma @ 10

Hopstand
Enigma & Mosiac pellet 2:1

Dryhop
Enigma, Nelson, & Mosaic LUPOMAX
2:1:1 by weight

Can't imagine it won't be good. I've used Nelson & Enigma a couple of times and really dug the vinous, red berry thing. I think Mosaic would be a great addition.

Btw - I used your Riwaka, Nelson, Citra combo and it's killer!

Back