New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds amazing. You mentioned canning... If you’re interested in trading I typically get some good east coast beers.

yeah I can most stuff that I’m happy with and give it to friends.

Appreciate the offer!

Hopefully it turns out! Might not

Last edited:
Most recent double ipa. Idaho 7 and Citra hotside with Strata and Citra LUPOMAX dryhop
0E65148D-17D5-4C7C-997D-B07093BD9528.jpeg

Most recent hazy with Mosaic, Ella, and Azacca. Used pilsner (with white wheat, flaked wheat, oats, and carapils) rather than my usual 2-row to try and get the color more towards yellow rather than orange. No biotransformation hops this time--just big whirlpool and dry hop after fermentation was done. Was worried I wouldn't get as much haze, but so far it's not a problem! I think the hop aroma and flavor are bigger than my usual hazies, maybe because avoiding a biotransformation hop means that the flocculating yeast aren't dragging all those hop compounds out of solution?
20200911_174122.jpg

Another data point for a NEIPA with no oats/wheat.

11.5gal batch

98% Canada 6-row
2% Flaked Barley

153F Mash

10min 9IBU CTZ
175 WP ~15IBU Idaho7

Ferment with Oslo @ 95F

SG - 1.062
FG - 1.016 (expected 1.012 as that's where Oslo always ends for me. May lower mash temp slightly next time)

Soft crash to 58, harvest yeast
DH for 48 hours with 5oz Citra Lupomax, 5oz Mosaic Lupomax, 3oz Sabro Lupomax
Crash to 43F (as far as my setup will go)
Transfer to Starsan CO2 purged kegs

In the keg so far ~12 days and has had zero hop burn from the start. Intense citrus, pineapple with some background of tangerine and almost a toasted marshmallow I think due to the Sabro. I expect the haze to stick around as anything I make with Oslo that I DH with stays hazy until the end.

First time using Lupomax and pretty happy with it. One thing I did notice is that it stuck to the sides of the conical like glue when compared to regular pellets and cryo.

Attachments

• Oslo 6-row.jpg
    Oslo 6-row.jpg
    903.9 KB · Views: 61
Most recent double ipa. Idaho 7 and Citra hotside with Strata and Citra LUPOMAX dryhop View attachment 698060
Looks good. I just brewed something similar. RAW with Columbus in the mash (1/3oz) and highest WP temp (1oz at 77C). Citra (2oz) and Idaho 7 (1oz) at lower WP temps (2oz at 71C and 1oz at 42C). And 1 oz Citra at day 2 of fermentation and 5oz Strata post fermentation and soft crash.

My last NEIPA was trillium streets inspired with Columbus and Strata which was nice!

Do you like yours?

Could it be that a small amount of hops in the beginning of the fermentation could prevent hop creep? My idea is that we add the enzymes from the hops while the fermentation is active and any fermentabels generated by the hop-enzymes will be eaten by the yeast before we add the large dry hop dose.

Looks good. I just brewed something similar. RAW with Columbus in the mash (1/3oz) and highest WP temp (1oz at 77C). Citra (2oz) and Idaho 7 (1oz) at lower WP temps (2oz at 71C and 1oz at 42C). And 1 oz Citra at day 2 of fermentation and 5oz Strata post fermentation and soft crash.

My last NEIPA was trillium streets inspired with Columbus and Strata which was nice!

Do you like yours?

Could it be that a small amount of hops in the beginning of the fermentation could prevent hop creep? My idea is that we add the enzymes from the hops while the fermentation is active and any fermentabels generated by the hop-enzymes will be eaten by the yeast before we add the large dry hop dose.

My understanding of hop creep is that enzymatic activity occurs on longer chain dextrins that normally wouldn’t be fermented by the yeast. I don’t think timing of hop addition would affect this, although it may not be as obvious if it is occurring during active ferm versus after.

Do you like yours?

I like it and even though it finishe 1.012 it’s a touch sweet so I’ll have Up the ibus at least 20. Other than that I’m really happy with it.

what you proposing won’t necessarily help you. There will not be enough enzymatic reaction with a small bio charge to convert the large chain sugars to smaller, more fermentable sugars and the hopcreep will still occur with the large dryhop.

your better off soft crashing (and dumping the yeast if you have the ability) and then dryhoping lower. Those honestly are the only solid ways to prevent hopcreep. I personally prefer dryhoping at 58-60 but some folks in here are reporting good things about going even lower

@Braufessor- Doctor I have a quick question for you.

Would you replace the 2-row in your NEIPA recipe (37.5% of grist) with Pils malt? If yes, what would be the gain to the beer? I intend to keep the GP as is.

thank you!

Can anyone recommend any notable NEIPAs available in the Baltimore area? Either locally brewed or distributed there. Some friends are coming down from there and I need to give them a huge list!
I also posted this to the craft beer forum.

Thanks

Can anyone recommend any notable NEIPAs available in the Baltimore area? Either locally brewed or distributed there. Some friends are coming down from there and I need to give them a huge list!

Thanks
Other half and equilibrium do get distributed there time to time but it’s not consistent enough for me to say you could def find it

Thanks

I don’t know if double duck pin is really considered neipa but it’s a solid dipa in general

Sapwood is in Columbia which isn’t far away

Black flag (?) brewing Had a solid ipa when I visited my BIL a year or two ago

I like it and even though it finishe 1.012 it’s a touch sweet so I’ll have Up the ibus at least 20. Other than that I’m really happy with it.

what you proposing won’t necessarily help you. There will not be enough enzymatic reaction with a small bio charge to convert the large chain sugars to smaller, more fermentable sugars and the hopcreep will still occur with the large dryhop.

your better off soft crashing (and dumping the yeast if you have the ability) and then dryhoping lower. Those honestly are the only solid ways to prevent hopcreep. I personally prefer dryhoping at 58-60 but some folks in here are reporting good things about going even lower

That's interesting about 1.012 being on a sweeter side. What do your regular NEIPAs finish at?

For me, I get more sense of a body and it almost tastes like esters come out a little more at higher final gravities like 1.016 - 1.018. OG being 1.070 or so.

That's interesting about 1.012 being on a sweeter side. What do your regular NEIPAs finish at?

For me, I get more sense of a body and it almost tastes like esters come out a little more at higher final gravities like 1.016 - 1.018. OG being 1.070 or so.
It was my own fault. It was a double that I just brain farted on my bittering addition and added what I would for a single. The body of this beer is full and soft. I’ve been playing a lot with mash temp and found that fg isn’t as indicative of the body as I once thought. Seems to me the yeast, grain bill, and dryhoping rate add more in my opinion. Since this beer finishes drier on the end it makes it come off much softer IMO

Last edited:
Hook up Co2 to the manifold at 5-10psi and turn on Co2. Open the top 4” TC port and dump hops in while you’re pumping Co2 into the headspace.
I only have it at one or two psi when removing my CF5 4” cap. I too scared of that steel disk flying into my face.

@Braufessor- Doctor I have a quick question for you.

Would you replace the 2-row in your NEIPA recipe (37.5% of grist) with Pils malt? If yes, what would be the gain to the beer? I intend to keep the GP as is.

thank you!
Since he hasn't had a chance to answer yet, yes. You could make that swap. It would strictly be for personal preference. It would possibly lighten up the color a shade and add a slightly more crackery/light-toast malt flavor (depending on what pils malt you select).

Correct me if I’m wrong but a malt bill of European Pils and Golden Promise plus a bunch of oats and wheat might be a bit deficient in FAN. If you go with Pils and not 2row I might go with a North American Pils over say German Pils.

On another note be very very excited about getting your hands on some Nectaron..

It might be the most potent hop I’ve used honestly. Galaxy might still take the cake but Nectaron doesn’t have any if the weird “roughness” you can get from the Aussie hops. Some people say it’s Anise/Licorice, others say Eucalyptus, some say horseradish. Nectaron has that intense fruit but no weird character.

Can’t stop using it and even in smaller amounts it really comes through even against the heaviest of hitters. It’s not as interesting as really good Nelson but it’s definitely more intense I’d say.

Last edited:
On another note be very very excited about getting your hands on some Nectaron..

It might be the most potent hop I’ve used honestly. Galaxy might still take the cake but Nectaron doesn’t have any if the weird “roughness” you can get from the Aussie hops. Some people say it’s Anise/Licorice, others say Eucalyptus, some say horseradish. Nectaron has that intense fruit but no weird character.

Can’t stop using it and even in smaller amounts it really comes through even against the heaviest of hitters. It’s not as interesting a really good Nelson but it’s definitely more intense I’d say.
That’s formally 4337, correct?

My first NEIPA, 10lb 2-row, 3lb white wheat, 1lb flaked oats, 8oz Honey Malt. 1oz ea Citra, Galaxy at 10min, 1.5oz ea Citra, Galaxy, Motueka at 160degree WP for 25 mins, Wyeast London Ale III, single DH at day 4 of 2oz ea Citra, Galaxy, Motueka. Messed up the closed pressured transfer a bit, Kegged and used carb stone for 2 days. Overall am very happy with the results so far.
C G M neipa.jpg

It was my own fault. It was a double that I just brain farted on my bittering addition and added what I would for a single. The body of this beer is full and soft. I’ve been playing a lot with mash temp and found that fg isn’t as indicative of the body as I once thought. Seems to me the yeast, grain bill, and dryhoping rate add more in my opinion. Since this beer finishes drier on the end it makes it come off much softer IMO

Please expand. Are you going lower on mash temp to get a drier beer but feel it’s still keeping its softness and fullness even with a lower FG?

Please expand. Are you going lower on mash temp to get a drier beer but feel it’s still keeping its softness and fullness even with a lower FG?
For me, if im bringing a big grain bill with lots of oats (flaked and malted) and white wheat like Ive done with a couple oat DIPAs, I feel the combination of higher ABV and the grain bill are more than enough to achieve a solid full and soft mouthfeel. Both of the oat DIPAs Ive brewed had finished at 1.012-1.013 as well. In other "standard" NEIPAs that might have ~25-35% oats/wheat I usually target 1.014ish. Thats the wonderful thing about brewing, so many variables contributing to the same general idea that theres many different avenues to achieve that "soft and full, but light on the palate" mouthfeel.

Can’t stop using it and even in smaller amounts it really comes through even against the heaviest of hitters. It’s not as interesting as really good Nelson but it’s definitely more intense I’d say.
I have some laying around. How much oz would you recommend. Will pair it with citra.
Cheerz

Am I the only one not crazy about Galaxy? Frequently has a lime character and harshness (often vegetal) that I've noticed in many examples (Tree House, Monkish, Alvarado Street, Cellarmaker, etc.). It's good but not my favorite and certainly not a holy grail varietal for me 🤷‍♂️

Am I the only one not crazy about Galaxy? Frequently has a lime character and harshness (often vegetal) that I've noticed in many examples (Tree House, Monkish, Alvarado Street, Cellarmaker, etc.). It's good but not my favorite and certainly not a holy grail varietal for me 🤷‍♂️
Agreed, I have more bad Galaxy then good.

I feel like it used to be much more consistent. Never had a bad Double Galaxy from HF (Haven’t has many) and early batches of Congress Street were very memorable.

One of the most memorable beers I’ve ever made was an all Galaxy beer that smelled like passion fruit candy with zero earthiness.

Just made a beer with HPA-016 and Galaxy that was really Anise/Licorice for maybe the first three weeks in the keg. It has started to evolve completely in the last 5 days and that anise/earth has faded and the really interesting fruit qualities are starting to shine. Never had any burn or astringency but that anise character was rather overpowering. I blamed it on the HPA-016 but it could be both.

I’ve never bought onion/garlic/chive Galaxy hops before like a lot of brewers complain about but I’ve had it in commercial Galaxy beers.

I think it’s similar to when Citra got crazy ramped up in acreage and got really bad for a while. I think Galaxy has exploded and consequently quality has suffered. Need to do another all Galaxy beer with the new stuff I just got. Place prints the lot numbers on the Homebrew packaging and from what my trusted sources have told me that lot number should be pretty good based on their past experiences in trying to analyze when they get good stuff and what’s not so good. Who knows.

I feel like it used to be much more consistent. Never had a bad Double Galaxy from HF (Haven’t has many) and early batches of Congress Street were very memorable.

One of the most memorable beers I’ve ever made was an all Galaxy beer that smelled like passion fruit candy with zero earthiness.

Just made a beer with HPA-016 and Galaxy that was really Anise/Licorice for maybe the first three weeks in the keg. It has started to evolve completely in the last 5 days and that anise/earth has faded and the really interesting fruit qualities are starting to shine. Never had any burn or astringency but that anise character was rather overpowering. I blamed it on the HPA-016 but it could be both.

I’ve never bought onion/garlic/chive Galaxy hops before like a lot of brewers complain about but I’ve had it in commercial Galaxy beers.

I think it’s similar to when Citra got crazy ramped up in acreage and got really bad for a while. I think Galaxy has exploded and consequently quality has suffered. Need to do another all Galaxy beer with the new stuff I just got. Place prints the lot numbers on the Homebrew packaging and from what my trusted sources have told me that lot number should be pretty good based on their past experiences in trying to analyze when they get good stuff and what’s not so good. Who knows.
Are you saying that galaxy hop batches that have a lot nr are better quality then batches without?

Are you saying that galaxy hop batches that have a lot nr are better quality then batches without?

I was told which lot numbers to look for if you had access to that information. BeerCo prints the lit numbers on the Homebrew packaging. I don’t think anywhere else does.

I was told which lot numbers to look for if you had access to that information. BeerCo prints the lit numbers on the Homebrew packaging. I don’t think anywhere else does.
Ok got it, how can one get access to that information? I got a kg of galaxy 2019 with lot nr from BeerCo, would be curious to know how I can figure out if this is a good lot as I haven't opened it yet.

Ok got it, how can one get access to that information? I got a kg of galaxy 2019 with lot nr from BeerCo, would be curious to know how I can figure out if this is a good lot as I haven't opened it yet.

What’s the number? Probably the same as mine as the picture of the box they posted online is the same as the lot numbers I have. Pretty sure it’s VVU51? VVU means grown in Victoria I believe. TTU is Tasmania. Was told to look for numbers lower than 80 Ideally and Victoria better than Tasmania??

What’s the number? Probably the same as mine as the picture of the box they posted online is the same as the lot numbers I have. Pretty sure it’s VVU51? VVU means grown in Victoria I believe. TTU is Tasmania. Was told to look for numbers lower than 80 Ideally and Victoria better than Tasmania??
VU046
So must be a good batch then. I'll get back to you once I opened it and used. Thank you for the info!
So the lower the nr the earlier the harvest I guess?

Back