New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
True. And by god was it cheap to make that voss. Three homebrew packs, a three pound bag of dme for a starter. Decanted and tossed it into fifteen barrels. Its a bit slow going (underpitch a bit?)but man the orange is intense. Between that and the neo from the WP the whole place smells amazeballs.

IMG_20200114_184552.jpg
5.5 gallons

2-row 80%
Oat malt 8%
White wheat 9%
GNO 3%

Wanted to try something new in the WP so:
2:4 Idaho7:Mosaic @ 180F

Soft crash to 60F for 24 hrs
DH6:4:2 Citra:Mosaic:Galaxy 2.5 days.

Pitched A30 Juice. Absolutely delicious and super drinkable at day 9.

True. And by god was it cheap to make that voss. Three homebrew packs, a three pound bag of dme for a starter. Decanted and tossed it into fifteen barrels. Its a bit slow going (underpitch a bit?)but man the orange is intense. Between that and the neo from the WP the whole place smells amazeballs.

what would the pitch rate be on the home brew scale if I were to use the voss? I was planning to use it next batch. I have been wanting to under pitch one of the kevik’s but have not clues what is considered a safe amount.

also what temp you ferment at to get the orange esters.

what would the pitch rate be on the home brew scale if I were to use the voss? I was planning to use it next batch. I have been wanting to under pitch one of the kevik’s but have not clues what is considered a safe amount.

also what temp you ferment at to get the orange esters.
I dunno exactly. One pack was a few months old. Two were newish. Starter made in a bucket. Not really easy to translate.

ive seen one tablespoon for 5gal. Or maybe teaspoon? Id do teaspoon.

pitch hot. 90 is good. Low to medium gravity worts need extra nutrients. We used a brick of bakers yeast and few grams zinc 6 sulfate. No oxygen, just tried to splash alot into fermenter.

Is that really 12oz dry hops for a 5.5gal batch?
Yes it is. Went a bit ham on that one didn't I.

I probably went a bit overboard, but I've read there are breweries doing 4-5 lb/bbl total (over multiple dry hops) which equates to 2-2.5 oz per gallon. My gut says you're into diminishing returns at over ~1-1.5 oz/gal.

Last edited:
I dunno exactly. One pack was a few months old. Two were newish. Starter made in a bucket. Not really easy to translate.

ive seen one tablespoon for 5gal. Or maybe teaspoon? Id do teaspoon.

pitch hot. 90 is good. Low to medium gravity worts need extra nutrients. We used a brick of bakers yeast and few grams zinc 6 sulfate. No oxygen, just tried to splash alot into fermenter.

Can anyone else help verify which amount to pitch; is it one tablespoon or teaspoon per 5 gal????

Can anyone else help verify which amount to pitch; is it one tablespoon or teaspoon per 5 gal????
The key to really bringing out the yeast character is to underpitch. Kveik thrives with being pitched at levels that would be dangerously low for normal yeast, and produces more flavour that way. A good rule of thumb is a teaspoon of slurry for 25 liters of wort. If you do this take care to ensure there is some oxygen in the wort. Old-style splashing by pouring the (cooled) wort from waist height is enough.
Also, for best results you should try to follow the pitch temperatures in the kveik table for your specific yeast. And not just the pitch temperature. Try to prevent the beer from cooling off too much by placing it somewhere warm and wrapping it in clothes or blankets, so that the temperature stays high during fermentation. The kveiks generally have very wide temperature tolerance, but some are more picky than others.

Full web link here...http://www.garshol.priv.no/blog/393.html

Yes it is. Went a bit ham on that one didn't I.

I probably went a bit overboard, but I've read there are breweries doing 4-5 lb/bbl total (over multiple dry hops) which equates to 2-2.5 oz per gallon. My gut says you're into diminishing returns at over ~1-1.5 oz/gal.

Yep, I was about to say the same thing about hop saturation. I’m asking because mine although only 3 days in the keg is quite muted. I did a 6oz dry hop for 36hrs before kegging. Also did the whole soft crash method. This is probably the most muted ipa I have brewed. I might be impatient but I can’t see the aroma improving. I’m wondering if my hop selection is fighting each other.

I have another beer that’s 1.5 months old all Citra that has way more aroma that was hopped exact same amount but done at day 2 & 10 and then keg hopped. So far I’m really liking the multi dry hop for longer periods verses the short 36 hr burst.

View attachment 662003 5.5 gallons

2-row 80%
Oat malt 8%
White wheat 9%
GNO 3%

Wanted to try something new in the WP so:
2:4 Idaho7:Mosaic @ 180F

Soft crash to 60F for 24 hrs
DH6:4:2 Citra:Mosaic:Galaxy 2.5 days.

Pitched A30 Juice. Absolutely delicious and super drinkable at day 9.

Do you get a subtle "savory" flavor with this combo? I have gotten a savory flavor everytime I use Mosaic in the WP or for more than 0.5oz/gal in the dryhop. This happens regardless the hop lot and even in commercial beers that all mosaic. The flavor is very subtle early on but becomes more pronounced as thw beer ages.

Yep, I was about to say the same thing about hop saturation. I’m asking because mine although only 3 days in the keg is quite muted. I did a 6oz dry hop for 36hrs before kegging. Also did the whole soft crash method. This is probably the most muted ipa I have brewed. I might be impatient but I can’t see the aroma improving. I’m wondering if my hop selection is fighting each other.

I have another beer that’s 1.5 months old all Citra that has way more aroma that was hopped exact same amount but done at day 2 & 10 and then keg hopped. So far I’m really liking the multi dry hop for longer periods verses the short 36 hr burst.
Aroma always gets better in the keg after a week or two. Unless you had some o2 pick up

Do you use one tablespoon of decanted slurry - aka the paste at bottom of jar - or one tablespoon of yeast/liquid mixture from the bag?
I use a table spoon of yeast/liquid mixture if it’s from the pouch. If I harvest an over built starter I will decant it off til there is just about a 1/4 inch of starter left cover the yeast cake and then will shake that up as a slurry and use a tablespoon of that. Obviously that’s not scientific.

A more scientific appoach would be to decant and dry the yeast cake and the pitch 1 g of the dried yeast

So the kveik idea is sinking in, but as im reviewing the strains i noticed that farmgarden is noted for pineapple as well.

anybody have farmgarden experience? Ive been burned by hornidal and the milky caramel thing so considering the alternative here.

I did not like Hornidal either.

Keviking has been my favorite so far, but its only seasonal :mad:. I was trying to decide between voss and Loki, but i went with loki.

I had an interesting exchange with my wife tonight. i made a NEIPA about a week ago. dry hopped with about 1oz/gal total with galaxy/mosaic on day 3. let it spund and then chilled 24 hrs. served it tonight. i thought it tastes very smooth and great considering the gravity sample yesterday had a fair amount of hop burn. i asked my wife about the hop burn today, and she said that if it had any more hops it would be too much burn! Maybe it's possible to acclimate oneself to hop burn? maybe she is just more sensitive to it. i literally get no hop burn out of this beer now. just perfection. thought it was interesting.

i'm currently doing a split batch comparison of a warm dry hopped spunded ipa vs a soft crashed dry hopped ipa with forced carb. can't wait for the results!

I did not like Hornidal either.

Keviking has been my favorite so far, but its only seasonal :mad:. I was trying to decide between voss and Loki, but i went with loki.

I did not like Hornindal either - voss seemed "average" to me. I think Loli is the same as Voss. Kveiking is also my fave - I have an over built starter that I will be using shortly hence my above question - thanks @Dgallo for the tip!

I had an interesting exchange with my wife tonight. i made a NEIPA about a week ago. dry hopped with about 1oz/gal total with galaxy/mosaic on day 3. let it spund and then chilled 24 hrs. served it tonight. i thought it tastes very smooth and great considering the gravity sample yesterday had a fair amount of hop burn. i asked my wife about the hop burn today, and she said that if it had any more hops it would be too much burn! Maybe it's possible to acclimate oneself to hop burn? maybe she is just more sensitive to it. i literally get no hop burn out of this beer now. just perfection. thought it was interesting.

i'm currently doing a split batch comparison of a warm dry hopped spunded ipa vs a soft crashed dry hopped ipa with forced carb. can't wait for the results!
I'd say you can definitely get used to "hop burn" or hops in general...I have had the same type of convo with my wife ...she'll try like a 24 ibu new england of mine and be like its to bitter...while im like searching for bitterness.. she doesn't really drink much at all though and when she does its certainly not IPA...so that is def. a factor for sure.. does your wife drink ipa on the regs or do you twist her arm to try it?

And also thinking back when I first started getting into craft beers...ipas seemed very bitter to me...and i started with like all the west coast stuff pre new england era..but as time went on they just got less and less bitter and more and more enjoyable...

I did not like Hornindal either - voss seemed "average" to me. I think Loli is the same as Voss. Kveiking is also my fave - I have an over built starter that I will be using shortly hence my above question - thanks @Dgallo for the tip!
No problem. I love Hornindal, the 091 version. It has huge nutritional needs so if you under pitch and put it in a beer above 1.070 it will rock pure pineapple at 90+*f. Sometimes so much esters it takes away from the hops. I’ll be working to find balance this summer

I also like Hornindal, for the most part. I brewed a NEIPA using 4th gen of harvested Hornindal (091) and it produced so much pineapple that it was all I could taste and smell. It completely overpowered the hops. Also, when I was making my starter, it acted strange in a way where it produced a lot of foam. Never had that happen on the three previous versions. So I didn't harvest any from this batch. I'll have to get another pouch whenever i can get my hands on some.

ATM, I'm using Conan for my NEIPA's, but going to go with 1318 next as I've never used it.

So the kveik idea is sinking in, but as im reviewing the strains i noticed that farmgarden is noted for pineapple as well.

anybody have farmgarden experience? Ive been burned by hornidal and the milky caramel thing so considering the alternative here.
I have trialed framgarden in a wheat beer. Came out very floral fruity. Pineapple maybe yes. Bright fruits.

Check the mtf forum. There is lots of discussion there including comments of I believe the guy running escarpment labs that underpitching by 1tbsp is actually not recommended, especially if you want to take full advantage of the shortened fermentation time. Extra nutrition is definately needed.
Dont forget the commercial brands are "isolated" single strains, not the wild strains which Lars recommends pitching 1 tbsp of.

I have had to throw away a batch I pitched 1 tablespoon in. Its risky and unnecessary to get the esters going.

For those who are mbaa members there will be a free webseminar on kveik feb 7th. Non members can register and pay.
More info here: https://www.mbaa.com/education/webinars/Pages/Brewing-with-Kveik.aspx

Anyone have any experience with these??

Put it this way - this probably isn't the thread to be discussing Barbe Rouge. It does taste of strawberry, but is very delicate - more the kind of thing for a lager than a NEIPA.

Put it this way - this probably isn't the thread to be discussing Barbe Rouge. It does taste of strawberry, but is very delicate - more the kind of thing for a lager than a NEIPA.
I figured it would probably be more of complimentary hop than anything or better suited for as you said a lager or wheat beer...hadn't heard much on it and there's probably a reason for that...lol

On an IPA thing again. @Dgallo check out these free hops from LHBS. Besides Columbus, familiar with the others? Looks like a 2.5gal hazy ipa experiment to me.View attachment 662188
Cryo Ahtanum??! No idea that was happening. Man o man! It's AMAZING in DH. A huge fruit cup. Almost suntan lotion tropical smell (I couldn't think of any other way to describe it).

Ok..now I'm overly excited. Might change plans. Thanks fellas!
Cryo Ahtanum??! No idea that was happening. Man o man! It's AMAZING in DH. A huge fruit cup. Almost suntan lotion tropical smell (I couldn't think of any other way to describe it).
Ive never used them personally but I’ve head Ahtanium can be pretty interesting to mix into a hop bill. If you use them, let me know how it goes

On an IPA thing again. @Dgallo check out these free hops from LHBS. Besides Columbus, familiar with the others? Looks like a 2.5gal hazy ipa experiment to me.View attachment 662188
Also had no idea ahtanum came in cryo...ive had it in a few beers and read it is a fruit bomb...that exp hop is probably pretty old...I couldn't find any new info on it since 2016... But its parentage is apollo and wye target...descriptor was spice resinous and tangerine with the bulk of the emphasis on the spice and resinous characters...and who doesn't love some Columbus

I'd say you can definitely get used to "hop burn" or hops in general...I have had the same type of convo with my wife ...she'll try like a 24 ibu new england of mine and be like its to bitter...while im like searching for bitterness.. she doesn't really drink much at all though and when she does its certainly not IPA...so that is def. a factor for sure.. does your wife drink ipa on the regs or do you twist her arm to try it?

And also thinking back when I first started getting into craft beers...ipas seemed very bitter to me...and i started with like all the west coast stuff pre new england era..but as time went on they just got less and less bitter and more and more enjoyable...

i've experienced the bitterness adaptation. I was ill with pneumonia last Fall and in the hospital for 5 days, came home and had like a month without a single beer. The first beer I had tasted SO bitter! It actually helped to empathize with people who find beer bitter. I guess maybe hop burn can also be something you get used to or at least that some people are more sensitive to.

Ok..now I'm overly excited. Might change plans. Thanks fellas!

So where are you finding Cryo Ahtanum? I Googled and did find an online store in Australia but was quite pricey at $10.99 Au. Anywhere domestic U.S.? I was out at YCH last summer and didn't hear of any more new cryo hops other than the first 5 already released. I thought Ahtanum had kinda' fallen out of favor, or at least failed to catch on, with both Homebrewers as well as craft brewers.

I brewed with it once about three years while trying to clone the original Stone Pale Ale. I liked it O.K., but it didn't deliver what I was looking for in the final analysis. I still have an unopened ounce in a mylar pack in the freezer. Guess I could mix it with something else to dry hop a lager perhaps.

The cryo variety piqued my interest though. It might deliver the punch I didn't get when I tried it before. I've used each of the other cryo hops at least once and really liked them, except for maybe Sabro/Ron Mexico which I tried in Vinnie Cilurzo's Ron Mexico recipe SMaSH. I'd revisit the Stone clone if I could find cryo Ahtanum.

Brooo Brother

My LHBS 'SoCo Homebrew' here in Austin gave me these 4oz for free. They got them from last years Homebrew conference I believe. I have no other information.

No problem. I love Hornindal, the 091 version. It has huge nutritional needs so if you under pitch and put it in a beer above 1.070 it will rock pure pineapple at 90+*f. Sometimes so much esters it takes away from the hops. I’ll be working to find balance this summer
That’s what I am hoping for in my latest brew!

Some people actually like the harshness. Me and a buddy got some beers from a brewery called Aslin near me who is popular and makes a lot of haze bombs and one had galaxy which I thought was close to undrinkable. Harsh and astringent. Before I even mentioned it to him he said he liked it especially the dry bitterness on the back of his tongue. He's from Cali originally and is still more into traditional IPAs than the hazys. I'm somewhere in the middle and my wife likes just a hint of bitter so I keep my hazy IPAs in the 30-40 IBU range and she loves them.

Beers been sitting pretty on "clean-up" stage for a few days now at 71 degrees (plus/minus 1 degree). about to start soft crashing tonight, but wanted to get thoughts on soft crash temps. Ive read here on this thread some peeps use 50degrees, some seem to prefer 60 degrees to drop yeast. Planning on keeping beer at soft crash temps for a couple days before raising to 68 for dry hopping. I was planning originally at 50 degrees for soft crash temp but this seems to be simply user preference. Yeast is A24 dry hop and a lot have seemed to already have flocked out. Thoughts on soft crash temp to drop the yeast?

Beers been sitting pretty on "clean-up" stage for a few days now at 71 degrees (plus/minus 1 degree). about to start soft crashing tonight, but wanted to get thoughts on soft crash temps. Ive read here on this thread some peeps use 50degrees, some seem to prefer 60 degrees to drop yeast. Planning on keeping beer at soft crash temps for a couple days before raising to 68 for dry hopping. I was planning originally at 50 degrees for soft crash temp but this seems to be simply user preference. Yeast is A24 dry hop and a lot have seemed to already have flocked out. Thoughts on soft crash temp to drop the yeast?
I think at this point, it comes down to personal preference/experience. Some brewers say drop yeast first, so that hop oils don't get dragged down with yeast interaction, whereas others will claim the interaction with the yeast is desirable. Personally, I've done both, and I can't say I actually prefer one vs the other. Keep in mind that you'll get slower hop extraction when dry hopping cooler.

Some people actually like the harshness. Me and a buddy got some beers from a brewery called Aslin near me who is popular and makes a lot of haze bombs and one had galaxy which I thought was close to undrinkable. Harsh and astringent. Before I even mentioned it to him he said he liked it especially the dry bitterness on the back of his tongue. He's from Cali originally and is still more into traditional IPAs than the hazys. I'm somewhere in the middle and my wife likes just a hint of bitter so I keep my hazy IPAs in the 30-40 IBU range and she loves them.
I got a few beers recently from the vale and aslin. I enjoyed them all but aslin seemed to have quite a bit of hopburn but their 15% stout was smooth as hell. Was very impressed with that.
AB1AF51D-8565-40CE-A57F-2AE95FE9717D.jpeg

I got a few beers recently from the vale and aslin. I enjoyed them all but aslin seemed to have quite a bit of hopburn but their 15% stout was smooth as hell. Was very impressed with that. View attachment 662952
Aslin is wildly popular in my area but I personally think it's overrated at least for hazy IPAs. I get alot of harshness with their stuff but as evidenced by my buddy, it doesn't bother some people. Supposedly their adjunct stouts are awesome but I'm not a big stout drinker. The Veil on the other hand I think is cranking out some really impressive stuff that's on par with the best out there

Back