New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed a Brujos inspired hazy double last Saturday;

Grainbill
40% - Rahr 2row
35% - Malted oats
25% - Flaked oat
Mash temp - 155*f
OG - 1.086
FG - 1.024 (target)
Yeast - imperial juice.

Hops hotside
1:1 ratio of citra to rakau
2lb/bbl rate

Dryhop (expected)
2:1:1 Sultana to citra to rakau
5.5lb/bbl rate

I’ll keep the group up to date with the progress

Grainbill
40% - Rahr 2row
35% - Malted oats
25% - Flaked oat
Mash temp - 155*f
OG - 1.086
FG - 1.024 (target)
Yeast - imperial juice.

Hops hotside
2lb/bbl rate

Dryhop (expected)
5.5lb/bbl rate

Sultana is straight pineapple juice🔥

Grainbill
40% - Rahr 2row
35% - Malted oats
25% - Flaked oat
Mash temp - 155*f
OG - 1.086
FG - 1.024 (target)
Yeast - imperial juice.

Hops hotside
2lb/bbl rate

Dryhop (expected)
5.5lb/bbl rate

You know…it’s funny to me. It seems that the more things change the more they stay the same….I remember 4-5? Years ago the daydream oat cream IPA was the rage….I went as high as 50% combo between malted/flaked oats and a little wheat. So what’s the difference now with Brujos? Seems it’s a little higher % oats but no wheat and perhaps a higher final gravity than the old daydream oat cream series? Also very curious how A24 does for you on this since it’s a monster attenuator I wouldn’t be surprised if you finished at 1.020 instead of 1.024 despite higher mash temp. I’ve been meaning to mash a hazy higher for a while with A24 so interested in your final results on this.

EDIT: Ive never had brujos beers before but wondering if the high malted oats % might cause (depending on the hops used) a little burn in end product. Cant remember the last time Ive used flaked oats in an IPA lol.

Last edited:
Sultana is straight pineapple juice🔥
This is my first time using it since it’s been Denali but I had a few beers with it recently and wanted to check it out. Same goes for rakau.

All the hops came from hop alliance and the quality was great

You know…it’s funny to me. It seems that the more things change the more they stay the same….I remember 4-5? Years ago the daydream oat cream IPA was the rage….I went as high as 50% combo between malted/flaked oats and a little wheat. So what’s the difference now with Brujos? Seems it’s a little higher % oats but no wheat and perhaps a higher final gravity than the old daydream oat cream series? Also very curious how A24 does for you on this since it’s a monster attenuator I wouldn’t be surprised if you finished at 1.020 instead of 1.024 despite higher mash temp. I’ve been meaning to mash a hazy higher for a while with A24 so interested in your final results on this.

EDIT: Ive never had brujos beers before but wondering if the high malted oats % might cause (depending on the hops used) a little burn in end product. Cant remember the last time Ive used flaked oats in an IPA lol.
I can’t disagree with you. I’ve never been higher than about 45% before (IIRC), and like you, it’s been a while since I’ve done flaked oats.

I brewed it pretty much out of, I really want to use these hops eventually, they all smell good so why not together. Then I was given a whole day to brew from the wife, so I knew this was the opportunity to give the base a try

Last edited:
This is my first time using it since it’s been Denali but I had a few beers with it recently and wanted to check it out. Same goes for rakau.

Wait what? Sultana is Denali rebranded? Had a couple beers with Denali in ipas a number of years ago and loved them but never could find them for brewing. Will def have to check sultana out

I buy most of my hops from hop alliance, you can’t beat the price and quality. I brewed a modern west coast ipa with citra , sultana and it was pretty bomb.

Grainbill
40% - Rahr 2row
35% - Malted oats
25% - Flaked oat
Mash temp - 155*f
OG - 1.086
FG - 1.024 (target)
Yeast - imperial juice.

Hops hotside
2lb/bbl rate

Dryhop (expected)
5.5lb/bbl rate

I brewed my Brujos inspired 4 weeks ago now and kegged 2 weeks ago just before going on vacation. Pretty much the same numbers as you, 1,087-1.022 and dry hopped with 17oz in 5.5G with Nelson, Citra and Nectaron.
Was tasting very good just after kegging but had a lot of hop burn so had high hopes for when I got home. Tried it the other night and its pure alcohol on the aroma and taste. So disappointed so far. I know it's relativity early days but had such high hopes after trying the sample before going away. Was going to enter it in a competition but cut off is tomorrow so not going to bother.

One plus is the mouthfeel is incredible, easily my best yet so the slightly lower efficiency with all the oats and wheat might be worth it going forward.

I brewed my Brujos inspired 4 weeks ago now and kegged 2 weeks ago just before going on vacation. Pretty much the same numbers as you, 1,087-1.022 and dry hopped with 17oz in 5.5G with Nelson, Citra and Nectaron.
Was tasting very good just after kegging but had a lot of hop burn so had high hopes for when I got home. Tried it the other night and its pure alcohol on the aroma and taste. So disappointed so far. I know it's relativity early days but had such high hopes after trying the sample before going away. Was going to enter it in a competition but cut off is tomorrow so not going to bother.

One plus is the mouthfeel is incredible, easily my best yet so the slightly lower efficiency with all the oats and wheat might be worth it going forward.
How did fermentation go? Sounds like you picked up fusel alcohol

How did fermentation go? Sounds like you picked up fusel alcohol
Fermentation seemed fine, pretty much as normal with Verdant. Pitch at 65F and let free rise to 68F for around 48 hours then let free rise to 72F for the remainder. Never actually thought it might be fusel alcohol. It is 8.7% so there is booze there but to completely dominate 17oz of hops has me totally puzzled.

I don't know who brew Joes (brujos) are but they sound like they might make good beer. I'm brewing a ... normal.. neipa this weekend, aiming for 8.2% so I guess it's a double normal neipa, I was gonna do like 25% white wheat and 15% malted oats but maybe I flip them? Doing ctz, simcoe, and citra hot side and nectaron and citra lupomax cold side.

Fermentation seemed fine, pretty much as normal with Verdant. Pitch at 65F and let free rise to 68F for around 48 hours then let free rise to 72F for the remainder. Never actually thought it might be fusel alcohol. It is 8.7% so there is booze there but to completely dominate 17oz of hops has me totally puzzled.
Yeah you would think a FG on the high side and big hop load would be able to withstand 8.7% abv without much problem.

All thermometers reading correctly?

If you haven't played a game called Overcooked, I think you'll love it. You basically scramble to make multiple dishes at the same time while dodging obstacles, sometimes with multiple people involved. It can make or break friendships 😂
I believe you have the wrong name.
It's called, "Family Thanksgiving At My House".
The downloadable content, extra pack if you will, is called, "Why Did My Sister In Law Open The Wine at 9:30 AM; or For That Matter, Why is The Scotch Bottle Open?"

Anybody use imperial mangosteeni yet? Just pitched it in a dipa batch today
A guy in my brew club used it in a session neipa with Azacca and Mosaic, and it was fantastic. All 2 Row and 8% Carafoam. Very tropical. .5oz mosaic at 5 min and 1oz each Mosaic and Azacca in 20 min WP. 3oz each DH and fermented at 78F.

Yeah you would think a FG on the high side and big hop load would be able to withstand 8.7% abv without much problem.

All thermometers reading correctly?
Pretty sure they are. I use an Inkbird in the thermowell on my fermenter and a Tilt and both read the same. Hopefully a bit of time will settle things out. Will just have to let this competition go.

A guy in my brew club used it in a session neipa with Azacca and Mosaic, and it was fantastic. All 2 Row and 8% Carafoam. Very tropical. .5oz mosaic at 5 min and 1oz each Mosaic and Azacca in 20 min WP. 3oz each DH and fermented at 78F.
It's smelling amazing so far and got me close to terminal in 2 days at 82f

Got gold in the IPA category out of 29 entries last night, my biggest win in a while!

1699811194969.png

14 lb 2 row
3 lb flaked oats
0.75 lb wheat
0.25 lb honey malt

0.5 oz Warrior 60 min (19 IBU)
2 oz Citra whirlpool (30 min 180 degrees)
2 oz Mosaic Lupomax whirlpool (30 min 180 degrees)
2 oz Amarillo whirlpool (30 min 180 degrees)
2 oz Citra dry hop #1
2 oz Citra Lupomax dry hop #1
2 oz Mosaic dry hop #1
2 oz Amarillo dry hop #1
1 oz Vic Secret dry hop #1

Imperial Juice Gen 1

75:150 sulfate:chloride

O.G = 1.065
F.G. = 1.014
ABV = 6.7%

I got mostly mango, pineapple, orange with some papaya, grapefruit, pine and dankness. Judges noted mango, tangerine, guava and grapefruit. I've medaled with this recipe twice before, but swapping the 1 oz Vic Secret for Galaxy. If I were to brew again, I would reduce or eliminate the 60 min addition. It might not be necessary when you have a 6 oz whirlpool and 9 oz dry hop.

Got gold in the IPA category out of 29 entries last night, my biggest win in a while!

View attachment 833739

14 lb 2 row
3 lb flaked oats
0.75 lb wheat
0.25 lb honey malt

2 oz Citra dry hop #1
2 oz Mosaic dry hop #1
2 oz Amarillo dry hop #1

Imperial Juice Gen 1

O.G = 1.065
F.G. = 1.014
ABV = 6.7%

I got mostly mango, pineapple, orange with some papaya, grapefruit, pine and dankness. Judges noted mango, tangerine, guava and grapefruit. I've medaled with this recipe twice before, but swapping the 1 oz Vic Secret for Galaxy. If I were to brew again, I would reduce or eliminate the 60 min addition. It might not be necessary when you have a 6 oz whirlpool and 9 oz dry hop.
Congrats! What comp?

View attachment 833739

14 lb 2 row
3 lb flaked oats
0.75 lb wheat
0.25 lb honey malt

2 oz Citra dry hop #1
2 oz Mosaic dry hop #1
2 oz Amarillo dry hop #1

Imperial Juice Gen 1

O.G = 1.065
F.G. = 1.014
ABV = 6.7%

Congrats!!!

View attachment 833739

14 lb 2 row
3 lb flaked oats
0.75 lb wheat
0.25 lb honey malt

2 oz Citra dry hop #1
2 oz Mosaic dry hop #1
2 oz Amarillo dry hop #1

Imperial Juice Gen 1

O.G = 1.065
F.G. = 1.014
ABV = 6.7%

congrats buddy!

Grainbill
40% - Rahr 2row
35% - Malted oats
25% - Flaked oat
Mash temp - 155*f
OG - 1.086
FG - 1.024 (target)
Yeast - imperial juice.

Hops hotside
2lb/bbl rate

Dryhop (expected)
5.5lb/bbl rate

Now when you say 1:1 ratio at 2lb/bbl rate. Do you mean each hop separately is at 2lb/bbl or both hops weight combined is at 2lb/bbl

Grainbill
40% - Rahr 2row
35% - Malted oats
25% - Flaked oat
Mash temp - 155*f
OG - 1.086
FG - 1.024 (target)
Yeast - imperial juice.

Hops hotside
2lb/bbl rate

Dryhop (expected)
5.5lb/bbl rate

Now when you say 1:1 ratio at 2lb/bbl, do you mean each hop is added at a 2lb/bbl rate or both combined equal 2lb/bbl rate?

Now when you say 1:1 ratio at 2lb/bbl rate. Do you mean each hop separately is at 2lb/bbl or both hops weight combined is at 2lb/bbl

Now when you say 1:1 ratio at 2lb/bbl, do you mean each hop is added at a 2lb/bbl rate or both combined equal 2lb/bbl rate?
Combined weight is equal to 2#/bbl

So I step mashed an all Citra NEIPA last week. I brewed it for my first pour event at a local brewery. Efficiency was through the roof. Was shooting for 1.068-1.070, and I got 1.085. Tilt says it's down to 1.016, which puts it at around 8.4%. I'll be dry hopping with 6oz of Citra tonight and kegging on Thursday. Tasted from the uni, and it's already great. A touch sweeter than I expected, but I figure the DH and carbonation will help a lot. I'll try to post a pic after carbing her up!

2lb/bbl total whirlpool that is split using a 1:1 ratio

So I step mashed an all Citra NEIPA last week. I brewed it for my first pour event at a local brewery. Efficiency was through the roof. Was shooting for 1.068-1.070, and I got 1.085. Tilt says it's down to 1.016, which puts it at around 8.4%. I'll be dry hopping with 6oz of Citra tonight and kegging on Thursday. Tasted from the uni, and it's already great. A touch sweeter than I expected, but I figure the DH and carbonation will help a lot. I'll try to post a pic after carbing her up!

May I ask what your mash schedule was?

Question on efficiency with this style, particularly when malted oats and wheat come in at 40% of the grain bill. I brewed yesterday and got a measly 65% efficiency I'm typically around 75% I crush my own grains with an ss brewtech mill so I know that was no issue. So is it common for efficiency to drop that much with the higher amounts of oats and wheat, is it lack of diastatic power or do I need to look elsewhere for an issue within my brewday? I brew 15 gallon batches on a spike 3v2p eherms system.

Question on efficiency with this style, particularly when malted oats and wheat come in at 40% of the grain bill. I brewed yesterday and got a measly 65% efficiency I'm typically around 75% I crush my own grains with an ss brewtech mill so I know that was no issue. So is it common for efficiency to drop that much with the higher amounts of oats and wheat, is it lack of diastatic power or do I need to look elsewhere for an issue within my brewday? I brew 15 gallon batches on a spike 3v2p eherms system.
My efficiency definitely drops brewing these beers especially if they are high on oats and wheat. My last brew was a Brujos inspired DIPA and I only got 68%. I also find I need to mash longer to get the oats to convert. I never really put a time on my mash as I mash till I get the gravity I'm happy with but its usually around the 2 hour mark.

I think there are a few factors at play;
For one I do not think the programs preset the GU for oats accurately. For example they typically use 34-35 GU points per lb per gallon. I think it’s probably closer to 30-32 and due to this it incorrectly calculates the gravity higher than what can be extracted, making it seem like it’s the efficiency

Secondly, I feel high rates flaked oats make it extremely hard to to sparge effectively. As the sparge slows down and you get the flaked oats gelatinize, it makes it more difficult to pull the remaining sugar and causes a drop in efficiency

That makes perfect sense.. I use beersmith but maybe I'll just run the numbers on paper and see what I come up with. I also recently switched from beersmith 2 to 3 and am still dialing in my equipment profile so some of it was that though I have it pretty close. The batch I did before this was a british golden ale (very simple recipe) that I got just over 80% efficiency so I know I have the equipment profile close. I wonder if I can adjust the GU in beersmith 3... I have been able to change some things and add things that bs2 didn't allow.

I think there are a few factors at play;
For one I do not think the programs preset the GU for oats accurately. For example they typically use 34-35 GU points per lb per gallon. I think it’s probably closer to 30-32 and due to this it incorrectly calculates the gravity higher than what can be extracted, making it seem like it’s the efficiency

Secondly, I feel high rates flaked oats make it extremely hard to to sparge effectively. As the sparge slows down and you get the flaked oats gelatinize, it makes it more difficult to pull the remaining sugar and causes a drop in efficiency
This post reminded me that I adjusted the points for oats in Beersmith years ago and really helped. Have it set to 1.030.

Yep, found it in beersmith. It was at 37, changed it to 30 which is what I calculated for proximity malted oats that I used and with that adjustment it put me close to 70% efficiency. I'll take it. Always learning here, thanks guys.

Latest posts

Back