New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 830667
I’m almost at the same level of calcium and I used the same yeast with 30% malted oats I mashed @ 155 and my batch came out super murky so I don’t believe it has anything to do with that.
I’m almost positive it was the whirfloc.
1696264820812.jpeg

Same beer just better light.

Thanks, I'm just wondering why they aren't all like that, sure I change up hops and stuff but I typically use similar grainbill .. I guess I need better notes in my process.
I use Coastal Haze for all my Hazies, and they all remain hazy until the end of the keg. Some are hazier than others, though, due to which hops I use. Citra and Simcoe stay super hazy. As does Galaxy. Mosaic is not as hazy. Same with Cascade. Mosaic and Cascade drop a touch clearer over time.

I also whirlfloc every beer I make, including hazies.

View attachment 830667
I’m almost at the same level of calcium and I used the same yeast with 30% malted oats I mashed @ 155 and my batch came out super murky so I don’t believe it has anything to do with that.
I’m almost positive it was the whirfloc.

This looks pretty good! What yeast did you go with here? Your FG in the end?

I decided to be the Guinea Pig for the Brujos style brew today.

Mashed 12.5kg @ 150F into my Grainfather S40. Pushed it to its absolute limit.

35% Extra Pale Pilsner
65% Combination of Oats & Wheat. Heavier on the Oats.

1.20qt/lb water/grain ratio. I used my whirlpool paddle attachment with my cordless drill to emulate a slow rake in the mash.

The sparge sucked fr. I went grocery shopping waiting for the grain bed to drain.

No dextrose or LDME in the boil for me as I had a touch more efficiency than planned. May add some Maltodextrin post ferm depending on finishing gravity.

3.5 ounce combo of Columbus & Motueka @ 170 in the whirlpool.

OG 1.090
Knockout pH 5.2
265 Chloride 50 Sulphate 100 Calcium

I think I’ve hit the brief pretty well. Had a suss at their Untappd. Saw a beer of theirs named Magos Del Subterraneo with Citra, Nelson, Motueka & Raw Honey so I’ve decided to base this recipe of that beer. I’ll Dry Hop with a combination of those 3 hops at the equivalent of 6lb/bbl and add Raw Orange Blossom Honey at High Krausen.
What % of wheat and oats did you use? All malted?

Thanks, I'm just wondering why they aren't all like that, sure I change up hops and stuff but I typically use similar grainbill .. I guess I need better notes in my process.

Your recipe looks pretty similar to a few of mine, it may just be the yeast since that seems to be the common denominator. I've never personally used it so don't know much about it, but it may be worth trying LA3, Verdant or similar.

This looks awesome! This is the color I've been shooting for. What's the grain bill for this?
His whitish tones are also coming from the polyphenols in the hops. Southern hem hops have more polyphenols than most us hops. So if that’s the color your targeting us a heavy handed dose of hops for aus or nz

Finally kegged my newest hazy with nectaron and Nelson. I take bad pics so bear with me
This is all for 5 gallons kegged
60% pilsen
16% malted oats
16% white wheat
8% flaked oats

Hops
0.5 ctz @ 30 mins
Wp 170 f for 30 mins
4 oz nectaron

Dry hop after soft crash to 55 and dropping yeast
8 oz nectaron
5 oz nelson

Water profile is really close to what dgallo uses I can post it if anybody really wants it though.

Color is right where I want it honestly looks more of that pale straw yellow than the photo shows . Getting the typical dank and pineapple thing I usually get from nelson and some strong stone fruit vibes. Never used nectaron before but will use it again.
Not fully carbed yet either
20231006_151841.jpg

Were gonna get a how it is update right? ;)
I didn’t have this yet but while I was there I sampled all the other collabs they had this week. The north park west coast was really solid but hop combo was indistinguishable. The troon collab was good but not amazing, but the veil collab roses and Ferraris was genuinely pure smoke. Best beer of the year so far but I also haven’t tried Sam’s Axe yet

Last edited:
I didn’t have this yet but while I was there I sampled all the other collabs they had this week. The north park west coast was really solid but hop combo was indistinguishable. The troon collab was good but not amazing, but the veil collab roses and Ferraris was genuinely pure smoke. Best beer of the year so far but I also haven’t tried Sam’s Axe yet

The Veil is pretty much my favorite brewery. Excellent consistency. The miata/ferrari/bugatti series is always great - galaxy plus,u sually, one other hop.
Last summer I had the Vegan Ferrari collab that was outstanding.

Ever wanna do a trade give me a holler.

In my experience milky opaque come with ~30% malted oats (edit: and LA3). Also, that much calcium could lead to clearing, but I can’t say this for sure. I aim for 100ppm ca and use na Cl to keep ca moderate.
I don’t think rousing will reduce haze UNLESS there is still a good amount of yeast in there that you didn’t dump. I use whirfloc and boil about 30 minutes.

Here’s what brewers have available commercially:

IMG_5411.png

Got a chance to brew again after a little hiatus. New NEIPA on the docket. Was fortunate to get some Freestyle Nelson from a pro brewer buddy, so doing a single hop nelson NEIPA. These hops are bonkers, definitely the best I've had a chance to get.

1.074 OG, 6 gallons into the fermenter
50% pils malt, 25% flaked oats, 25% white wheat.

Also used a touch of malto (4oz), and 1lb of pils dme to boost my gravity since it's hard to do 6 gals on the mash and boil. Aiming to finish around 1.022-1.024. Adjusted the post boil pH down to 5.0, 180:60 Cl:SO4 which is a touch higher than I normally do, both in raw numbers and in ratio (normally I do 2:1 with 170:85). First time using Omega British Ale V, LHBS didn't have LAIII in stock but close enough.

WP was 5.5oz of the freestyle nelson, dry hop will be 12oz freestyle, 6oz Nelson CGX. Going to experiment with doing a cold dry hop instead of just dropping to 55 to try to minimize astringency at the high DH rate. Will report back on the finished product
IMG_1450_jpg.JPG

Got a chance to brew again after a little hiatus. New NEIPA on the docket. Was fortunate to get some Freestyle Nelson from a pro brewer buddy, so doing a single hop nelson NEIPA. These hops are bonkers, definitely the best I've had a chance to get.

1.074 OG, 6 gallons into the fermenter
50% pils malt, 25% flaked oats, 25% white wheat.

Also used a touch of malto (4oz), and 1lb of pils dme to boost my gravity since it's hard to do 6 gals on the mash and boil. Aiming to finish around 1.022-1.024. Adjusted the post boil pH down to 5.0, 180:60 Cl:SO4 which is a touch higher than I normally do, both in raw numbers and in ratio (normally I do 2:1 with 170:85). First time using Omega British Ale V, LHBS didn't have LAIII in stock but close enough.

WP was 5.5oz of the freestyle nelson, dry hop will be 12oz freestyle, 6oz Nelson CGX. Going to experiment with doing a cold dry hop instead of just dropping to 55 to try to minimize astringency at the high DH rate. Will report back on the finished product
View attachment 831335

Nelson Cgx damn. I’m jealous.

Working on my own Brujos style recipe to brew this weekend.

10 lb Pils (50%)
5 lb Malted oat (25%)
3 lb Wheat (15%)
2 lb Flaked oat (10%)

2 oz Citra WP @ 170
2 oz Citra Lupo WP @ 170
10 oz Citra DH
2 oz Citra Lupo DH

155 mash
5.5 mash ph

Imperial Juice

maybe ~100:250 cacl

Hoping for a 7.5% beer. I feel odd not adding any boil hops but I'm willing to give it a try. Also not sure if I want to go all Citra, since I haven't done it in a while, or toss in a little Mosaic or HBC 586.

Did an all Simcoe (2022 Yakima Valley Hops 12.8%) NEIPA last night, and the wort smelled like a vanilla strawberry shortcake. Almost like strawberry vanilla wafers. Never had wort smell like that! It was glorious. Can't wait for this brew to be done! Gonna do 6oz DH after soft crashing after fermentation is complete.

I have every collab beer from their anniversary. Excited to try them all.
Nice. The only one I haven’t tried yet was the Czech pils.

My order in favor is;
- roses and Ferraris
- Diego to Broadway
- Hallow men
- Sam axe
- Sean axe

Nice. The only one I haven’t tried yet was the Czech pils.

My order in favor is;
- roses and Ferraris
- Diego to Broadway
- Hallow men
- Sam axe
- Sean axe
I’m surprised.most of the veil beers I’ve tried haven’t lived up to the hype. North park makes awesome beers.

I’m surprised.most of the veil beers I’ve tried haven’t lived up to the hype. North park makes awesome beers.
Oh I agree, I thought it would be my least favorite. but remember, the veil didn’t brew it, fidens did lol

Last edited:
Back