New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't have any experience with equinox, so I can't help much with that. I did just brew Citra/Simcoe/Amarillo yesterday though.... and I intend to go equal amounts throughout.

In general, if I feel hops have the ability to overpower the beer, I scale them back - especially in the dry hop. So..... hops like Columbus, Galaxy, Eureka are ones I have use in particular that can get away from you in a hurry and just dominate everything else. Centennial is another one that I have found that (surprisingly) can over power a dry hop.

In fairness, Citra can outdo the other hops as well..... but, I love Citra, so I don't mind:)

So, I guess it depends on where you (or others) think Equinox fits as far as its ability to over power other hops, or blend in, or.... does it get lost?

Thanks for the info.
I may cut back on the Equinox and eliminate it from dry hop.
Did you recently brew an Amber version? If I can find some GP I may brew the Amber version or just go back with the initial grain bill and change the hops to Simcoe/Centennial/Amarillo using Warrior for bittering.

T
Did you recently brew an Amber version? If I can find some GP I may brew the Amber version or just go back with the initial grain bill and change the hops to Simcoe/Centennial/Amarillo using Warrior for bittering.

I am moving batch #3 of Amber to dry hop keg right now.... Still not blown away with it. Got a little ways to go on it before it is where I will be happy with it.

Wow. So I recently took my hydro sample from my primary in adding in the first dry hops... That wheat really adds some pillowy head to the beer. I was blown away by the mouth feel even just at the end of primary fermentation. Going to be in my second dry hop by this monday, but already the color, flavor and aroma are very very nice.

Even with having to save the beer with US-05.

I won't be transfering to secondary kegs with the setup Braufessor suggested, just because I don't have the spare kegs right now. But I'll purge my carboys with Co2 before I secondary for a few days. My racking cane already has a filter sock on it so I should be A-OK when I go to transfer to the keg.

Need to remember to take pictures of this stuff...

Attempt #2 on the style hits the mark quite well. A few minor deviations here:
44% Maris Otter
42% Pale 2-row
4% Flaked oats
4% Flaked barley
2% White wheat
2% Honey malt
2% Acid malt
45 IBU Warrior
1:1:1 Columbus, Amarillo, Simcoe
120:80 Chloride/Sulfate
1.055 OG 1.008 FG

Love this hop combination... Simcoe has enough dank and resinous tones to keep the beer from being a juice bomb. The weirdest thing is I purposefully underpitched (around 0.25 Mcells/mL-P) and Conan still overattenuated like a bastard. A little more bitter than I was hoping for, but thankfully the rest of the beer still shines through.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1471560823.990181.jpg

Drinking my 4th iteration of this beer right now.

I was inspired by a few Trillium beers I had, which I knew used Columbus. They have such an interesting earthy, herbal, dank quality that not only works with but enhances the tropical fruit flavors. To move in that direction, I basically subbed Galaxy for equal parts Simcoe/Columbus

So this time I went with Citra/Mosaic/Simcoe/Columbus (2:2:1:1) for all four additions and bittered with Columbus. I think this is my favorite NEIPA I've made so far (if not tied with the original recipe), mostly peach & mango, a hint of melon and a little pine & earthy dank to balance things out. For what I was going for, I'm pretty damn happy with the results.

20160818_144046_zpsnrxqnadu.jpg

And for those interested, so far I've also brewed:
100% Citra (super delicious, just not as interesting as the original)
100% Nelson (not bad, but too much harsh earthiness. took a lot of mellowing out before it was really drinkinable - needs to paired with fruitier hops)

As for next time... I still really want to try 100% Mosaic and 100% Galaxy versions, if only to learn more about those hop profiles. But I think I want to continue down the dank & fruity road and try more combos with Columbus. I'm also curious about some varieties I haven't touched at all yet like Azacca, Apollo, Equinox, Galena and El Dorado.

looks good anteater - i like the addition of columbus.
might have to try this again, with a F/O and Dryhop of columbus added (Just add more hops)

Latest batch..... 1.055 version, Citra/Mosaic/Galaxy. 140 Sulfate:70 chloride. Biggest difference - I used 1272 yeast. Lots of emphasis is placed on yeast in regard to "haziness" and I have felt that the "haze" is more about the hopping and possibly pH. One of the criticisms from the "west coast only" camp is that simply using a yeast that flocs out would eliminate the haziness (and NE IPA brewers are just lazy/looking for gimics)... Well, 1272 is a yeast that flocs out crystal clear..... but, not in this beer.

At any rate, really happy with this beer. As good as any NE IPA I have brewed so far. Got the same, full, silky feel to it as using conan or 1318. About 17 days or so since brew day. Got a couple other ones going with 1272 as well. Might run some beers through 1056 in the near future too.

1272.jpg

Drinking my 4th iteration of this beer right now.

I was inspired by a few Trillium beers I had, which I knew used Columbus. They have such an interesting earthy, herbal, dank quality that not only works with but enhances the tropical fruit flavors. To move in that direction, I basically subbed Galaxy for equal parts Simcoe/Columbus

So this time I went with Citra/Mosaic/Simcoe/Columbus (2:2:1:1) for all four additions and bittered with Columbus. I think this is my favorite NEIPA I've made so far (if not tied with the original recipe), mostly peach & mango, a hint of melon and a little pine & earthy dank to balance things out. For what I was going for, I'm pretty damn happy with the results.

20160818_144046_zpsnrxqnadu.jpg

And for those interested, so far I've also brewed:
100% Citra (super delicious, just not as interesting as the original)
100% Nelson (not bad, but too much harsh earthiness. took a lot of mellowing out before it was really drinkinable - needs to paired with fruitier hops)

As for next time... I still really want to try 100% Mosaic and 100% Galaxy versions, if only to learn more about those hop profiles. But I think I want to continue down the dank & fruity road and try more combos with Columbus. I'm also curious about some varieties I haven't touched at all yet like Azacca, Apollo, Equinox, Galena and El Dorado.

Looks great and I like the sounds of that hop combo..... I could see that being great and I have meant to try a bit more with columbus as well. I did a Citra: Columbus with 2:1 ration in all 4 additions..... it was really good. I have been meaning to do single hops of mosaic and Galaxy for about 50+ batches of this now too........ Both would be spectacular I think.... especially the mosaic. I need to force myself away from C-M-G for a few batches.:mug:

I just brewed a version of this on Saturday and fermentation (3 gallons with wyeast 1318) appears to be going well. I went with Sorachi Ace for bittering (had some leftovers from a previous brew) and then I went all Falconer's Flight for the rest of the hop scheduling. I'm going to continue with FF for dry hopping but had a question about dry hopping this beer. Is there any reason why I shouldnt dry hop 4 days in, 6 days in, and 8 days in each 1oz of Falconers Flight hops and then package/bottle on around day 12/13?

Some experiences with conan and s-05 the same recipe. I brewed 20 gallons with a friend, 10g with conan(4th generation), 5g with a split of conan(4th gen) and s05, 5g with s-05.
I think the yeast contributes to the mouthfeel and juiciness. To me its mainly on the backend, I get that juicy peachy/apricoty flavor with conan. Whereas with s-05 it ends with the hop bitterness and flavor, not much of the juicy mouthfeel, perhaps too dry as it dropped a few points lower. Its a good beer but too clean after drinking the conan. similar experience with the blend.

the recipe was 75% 2row, 20% wheat, 5% sugar. bittered with columbus. flavor/hopstand/dry hop blend of mosaic, simcoe, apollo, columbus. heavier on the mosaic/simcoe.

edit: both were pretty hazy, not juice like, similar to anteaters pic. kegged after 18 days, primary then dry hopped for 4 days. 1.064 og

Thanks for your observations. I'll see if I can add to that when mine is ready to drink. I unfortunately had to go with US-05 after finding my Conan yeast dead when it came in.

I'm going to continue with FF for dry hopping but had a question about dry hopping this beer. Is there any reason why I shouldnt dry hop 4 days in, 6 days in, and 8 days in each 1oz of Falconers Flight hops and then package/bottle on around day 12/13?

Nope..... I see no reason why you could not do that.

I've been meaning to try this and Friday is brewday.

I just haven't decided which hops I want to go with. I've been kicking around a single hop Ariana or Loral, Citra/Mosaic/Galaxy or something that incorporates EL Dorado, 7270 or Motueka as I have a pound each of those I need to use.

Thoughts? I'll be bittering with Nugget or Columbus and fermenting with Vermont IPA or 1318 (all are on hand)

I've been meaning to try this and Friday is brewday.

I just haven't decided which hops I want to go with. I've been kicking around a single hop Ariana or Loral, Citra/Mosaic/Galaxy or something that incorporates EL Dorado, 7270 or Motueka as I have a pound each of those I need to use.

Thoughts? I'll be bittering with Nugget or Columbus and fermenting with Vermont IPA or 1318 (all are on hand)

I can't speak to the other combos..... as I have not used those hops much....

But Columbus to bitter
1:1:1 Citra/Mosaic/Galaxy in both kettle additions
1.5 to 1.0 to .5 Citra/Mosaic/Galaxy for both dry hops

That is a hard combo to beat in my opinion.

But Columbus to bitter

Awesome beer that you sent me. I'd like to experiment with mosaic, Galaxy and Apollo just to give it some of that resinous sticky orange from the Apollo.

But Columbus to bitter

That one is definitely on my list. Whatever combo I don't go with on Friday will be my next batch in 2wks.

Awesome beer that you sent me. I'd like to experiment with mosaic, Galaxy and Apollo just to give it some of that resinous sticky orange from the Apollo.

Gotta get another couple out to you.... I have one on tap right now that is quite good... but it is just the CMG that you already had. I have a couple others on the way though that are different - Citra/Simcoe/Amarillo and a Citra/Mosaic, as well as a Columbus/Centennial/Simcoe/Amarillo Amber ale.... So, thinking I will wait a couple weeks until they are ready and see how they come around so there is something of interest.

Nope..... I see no reason why you could not do that.

Great! I was thinking that long wit that much hops for a 3 gallon batch might be too much.. didnt want to overdo it... though I'm kind of disaspointed in how the FF hops smelled when i cut open the packaging.. maybe the actual aroma and flavor will be different in the final product? I'm still going with it since I have 3 oz of FF sitting in my freezer awaiting dry hopping...

Essentially the dry hops would be steep for
-- dry hop #1 steeps for 8 days (1oz)
-- dry hop #2 steeps for 6 days (1oz)
-- dry hop #3 steeps for 4 days (1oz)

then into bottles

I transferred to a keg on day 4 on 6 oz of hops. I tried to use a spunding valve but couldn't get it to hold pressure so I rigged up an old school airlock.

It was at 1.020 on day 4. Day 8 (yesterday), it was 1.016. The aroma is lush with Citra, Mosaic and Galaxy. I'm going to carb/crash tonight and transfer to a clean keg on Thursday.

20160820_162041.jpg

20160822_182112.jpg

I am moving batch #3 of Amber to dry hop keg right now.... Still not blown away with it. Got a little ways to go on it before it is where I will be happy with it.

What is your Amber recipe?

What is your hop schedule for it? I'm making a hoppy Amber Friday and planned on using 3 oz each of Amarillo, simcoe & Centennial.

Currently, the hops I have on hand are Centennial, Simcoe, Galaxy, and Mosaic. Anyone have thoughts on what combination I should use? Seems like Citra is the common denominator in the flavor profile for this style of beer, but I am hoping the Galaxy might help do the trick.

Currently, the hops I have on hand are Centennial, Simcoe, Galaxy, and Mosaic. Anyone have thoughts on what combination I should use? Seems like Citra is the common denominator in the flavor profile for this style of beer, but I am hoping the Galaxy might help do the trick.

How about 1 ounce each of Centennial/Simcoe/Galaxy in the kettle additions.
2 ounces of Mosaic and 1/2 ounce each of Galaxy/Simcoe in both dry hops?

or, maybe 2:1 ounce each of mosaic/galaxy in dry hop or 1.5:1.5 if you are looking for more galaxy.

What is your Amber recipe?

What is your hop schedule for it? I'm making a hoppy Amber Friday and planned on using 3 oz each of Amarillo, simcoe & Centennial.

PM me your e-mail and I can send it from iBrewmaster. (I used those hops). Fairly happy with this last batch.

How about 1 ounce each of Centennial/Simcoe/Galaxy in the kettle additions.
2 ounces of Mosaic and 1/2 ounce each of Galaxy/Simcoe in both dry hops?

or, maybe 2:1 ounce each of mosaic/galaxy in dry hop or 1.5:1.5 if you are looking for more galaxy.

Thanks! I was thinking of something similar. I've heard Galaxy is a pretty strong hop, so I'd like to try and balance it.

I just brewed this again with Citra, mosaic and Columbus. I added my dry hops today (day 3). I wanted to know if anyone saw a big difference between day 3 and 5 for the first dry hop addition?

I just brewed the recipe on the 1st page and it turned out fantastic. About to do it again with different hops. I have some Eureka! that I wanted to use. Anyone used Eureka! hops in this? I have eureka!, citra, simcoe, mosaic, galaxy, Nelson, warrior and columbus on hand so wanted to incorporate a few of those.

Would love some advice on which combo of hops sound best. And should I stick with 1/1/1 with flameout and whirlpool and staggered amounts for dry hop?

I just brewed the recipe on the 1st page and it turned out fantastic. About to do it again with different hops. I have some Eureka! that I wanted to use. Anyone used Eureka! hops in this? I have eureka!, citra, simcoe, mosaic, galaxy, Nelson, warrior and columbus on hand so wanted to incorporate a few of those.

Would love some advice on which combo of hops sound best. And should I stick with 1/1/1 with flameout and whirlpool and staggered amounts for dry hop?

I just did a Simcoe, Nelson and touch of Mosaic NE style and absolutely loved it. I was worried about Nelson dominating the show so I went 2:1 Simcoe: Nelson at FO, then 1:1 at dry hop in the fermenter and then 1:1 Simcoe and Mosaic in the keg. So freaking good. Small bittering charge with Columbus at 30 mins.

Next time I might add more Nelson to get more of the grape/wine characteristics.

I just did a Simcoe, Nelson and touch of Mosaic NE style and absolutely loved it. I was worried about Nelson dominating the show so I went 2:1 Simcoe: Nelson at FO, then 1:1 at dry hop in the fermenter and then 1:1 Simcoe and Mosaic in the keg. So freaking good. Small bittering charge with Columbus at 30 mins.

Next time I might add more Nelson to get more of the grape/wine characteristics.

Nice - My Hophands was 1-1-1 Simcoe Nelson Mosaic.
turned out great.

I did one with Columbus/Eureka/Citra..... it was way overpowering. If I was going to do it again, I would definitely not use Eureka and Columbus together. I would bitter with Warrior. Maybe go with Citra/Mosaic/Eureka (1:1:1)or Citra/Galaxy/eureka (1.5:1:.5) or Citra/Eureka 2:1.

I would error on the side of caution with Eureka. I have had a couple beers I loved it in, but it was a smaller addition to Citra.

Wasn't bad, better than the latest I did with ctz, centennial, Belma and Amarillo.

Awesome thanks for the reply! what hop amounts did you use? ex: 2:2:1 ctz, Amarillo, centennial? i have a pound of each so i have plenty. Thinking about dry hopping with mosaic. Any input would be appreciated, nervous as this would be my first of this style.

I'm getting ready to do my 2nd dry-hopping in the next day or two as I described earlier in the thread but I was wondering if anyone else has done this recipe with all Falconer's Flight (not the 7C's, the regular blend). I can't seem to figure out exactly how this hop profile is going to come out and getting nervous about it!

Also, I take it cold crashing, and especially fining is entirely unnecessary with this style of beer? haha

Back