New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
looks great - whats the hops used? give us the deets! :)
Thanks!

Citra and Mosaic T-90. It was basically the original base recipe in this thread but scaled down to a 2.2 gallon batch size.

I did a small Columbus bittering hop then 1oz each of Citra and Mosaic in a 20-minute WP once it reached 180F.

Hit stable FG after about 9 days with LAIII at 66F, crashed to 50F over 12 hours and then left it there another 24. Then close transferred to the DH keg with 3oz of each hop (6oz total) and let it sit at 55F for 48 hours before kegging.

Excited to see how it holds up now!

I lost quite a bit of beer from the DH (ended up with 1.6 gallons instead of 2. Would a hard crash post DH help with that? Or do I just accept the absorption rate as a built-in cost?

What's the most grams per litre anyones gone with a Neipa so far.
Just curious in regards to diminishing returns.
My last was 15g a litre but was tempted to up it to 22.

Dry hop only or total hop amount? I’ve done a 16 oz. dry hop and gone as high as 22 oz total. (5 gallon batch)

Dry Hop only
15g/l is about a 10oz dry hop and 22 would be about 15. I’d say go for it and see how you like it. Only you’ll be able to determine wether or not the returns are diminishing. I’ll say I quite enjoyed the beer I made with the 16 oz dry hop. Was 8oz Citra and 8oz strata, and the aroma stuck around the entire duration of the keg.

15g/l is already on the high side being roughly 2 oz per gallon. 22g/l is roughly 3oz Per gallon, which is doesn’t bring anymore to the table, in my experience

15g/l is already on the high side being roughly 2 oz per gallon. 22g/l is roughly 3oz Per gallon, which is doesn’t bring anymore to the table, in my experience
Thats what I was afraid of, didn't want to waste money on the extra hops and it not bring much else to the table.
But I wanted the extra in your face Aroma.
I sometimes put it down to the quality of the hops we get in the UK TBH not being punchy and fresh enough.

15g/l is about a 10oz dry hop and 22 would be about 15. I’d say go for it and see how you like it. Only you’ll be able to determine wether or not the returns are diminishing. I’ll say I quite enjoyed the beer I made with the 16 oz dry hop. Was 8oz Citra and 8oz strata, and the aroma stuck around the entire duration of the keg.
Dying to get my hands on Strata, absolutely love it.
But none available in the UK at all.

I'll be using Strata for the first time in a NEIPA this weekend. My plan is to highlight Strata, but pair it with some hops that I know better for good measure. My first thought is Citra, Mosaic, Strata... but I'm curious if anyone has had more experience with Strata and has recommendations.

14 lb 2 row
3 lb flaked oats
0.75 lb wheat
0.25 lb honey malt

0.5 oz Warrior (19 IBU)
2 oz Mosaic whirlpool
2 oz Strata whirlpool
2 oz Citra dry hop
2 oz Mosaic dry hop
4 oz Strata dry hop

I'll be using Strata for the first time in a NEIPA this weekend. My plan is to highlight Strata, but pair it with some hops that I know better for good measure. My first thought is Citra, Mosaic, Strata... but I'm curious if anyone has had more experience with Strata and has recommendations.

14 lb 2 row
3 lb flaked oats
0.75 lb wheat
0.25 lb honey malt

0.5 oz Warrior (19 IBU)
2 oz Mosaic whirlpool
2 oz Strata whirlpool
2 oz Citra dry hop
2 oz Mosaic dry hop
4 oz Strata dry hop

Haven't brewed with it yet but have tried two delicious beers that have been brewed with it. One with Nelson, the other with Idaho 7.

Recently tapped my first ever hazy with K-97. Not a great beer. For the first couple days drinking it I couldn't place my finger on why. Is it astringency? Not really. Too much bitterness coming through from the K-97? Then it finally hit me. It's peppers. I used Ekuanot cryo in the dry hop. I know peppers are in the flavor description but it's supposedly also pretty fruity, and I heard a pro on a podcast raving about how the cryo was really fruity and awesome. This thing is a green pepper bomb. I'm withholding judgement on K-97 for the time being.
I’ve used Ekuanot a ton but never in ipa. It is a perfect Pils or IPL hop. I wouldnt call it fruity

Folks, this is one of the best threads about hops in the internet right now.. bar none. I got convinced by a fellow homebrew club member to grab some Eukanot hops (1 pound), but now that I'm reading I'm really worried about the horror stories about green pepper. Any thoughts? Things to do to prevent? Heard it might do better in the whirlpool as opposed to the dry hop.
I love it in hopstand. Never tried it in dryhop. It is very potent and comes through at 0.5-1 oz/gal in hopstand. I really do prefer it in Pils or IPL over IPA though

I’ve been using 2 oz/gal lately in all of my neipa regardless of variety and it is great. I did 3 oz/gal centennial once and the beer was weird, woody. Its risky going over 2 oz/gal perhaps?

I’ve used Ekuanot a ton but never in ipa. It is a perfect Pils or IPL hop. I wouldnt call it fruity

you’re now the 3rd person I’ve heard say good things about Ekuanot in a lager...

I find this interesting as Ekuanot always has this really strong green pepper/herbal/vegetal character that I don’t like.

Does it not present like that in lagers? Does lager yeast transform that compound I wonder?

I wonder if the taste of this hop is very subjective somehow? It does have kind of a green pepper character to me, but i find it to be very pleasant in Pils with that lagery flavor. I liked it so much in my Pils that it just kept growing in intensity until I had to call it an IPL! ha ha

you’re now the 3rd person I’ve heard say good things about Ekuanot in a lager...

I find this interesting as Ekuanot always has this really strong green pepper/herbal/vegetal character that I don’t like.

Does it not present like that in lagers? Does lager yeast transform that compound I wonder?

Good Live stream on now between Verdant and Cloudwater..
Adam just said its not about volume of hops its how you use them.

Watching this now. Really interesting to hear the honest answers around whether they are using kveik. In essence they have infighting where they are either a brewery that is on the cutting edge with yeast and hops etc. or one which chases the tap contracts and does not have any variation in their core range IPA. Only had Cloudwater when I've gone home (N.Ireland) but would be very keen to try Verdant. Had Otherhalf, Grimm and a few other Brooklyn beers plus the best of Portland. If anyone would like to ship beers to Melbourne hit me up!

I wonder if the taste of this hop is very subjective somehow? It does have kind of a green pepper character to me, but i find it to be very pleasant in Pils with that lagery flavor. I liked it so much in my Pils that it just kept growing in intensity until I had to call it an IPL! ha ha

I like it quite a bit. I tend to get a lot of melon character with some citrus. The green pepper is there, but I don't pick 8t up so much.

How are you guys dealing with kettle trub for NEIPAs?

Last weekend I brewed my first attempt at a “real” NEIPA. This was also my 2nd brew on my new system using a 20 gal SS brewtech kettle (including the SS brewtech trub dam). After chilling I whirlpooled like crazy, let it settle for 25 min, but still had quite a lot of trub making its way into the fermenters… I guess this was due primarily to the high amount of hops used (approx. 1 oz/gal total hot-side hops). The first brew on this kettle was a more moderately hopped beer and I did not have such problems. Should I be concerned about this or should I not worry? I know there are different schools of thought regarding kettle trub. In my older system I believe I had always been quite successful at keeping most of the trub out of the fermenter, also for IPAs…That is why this is bothering me now a bit… a new system should be an improvement, not a regression :p . Thanks!

...by the way amazing thread, I learned a ton from you guys!!

Last weekend I brewed my first attempt at a “real” NEIPA. This was also my 2nd brew on my new system using a 20 gal SS brewtech kettle (including the SS brewtech trub dam). After chilling I whirlpooled like crazy, let it settle for 25 min, but still had quite a lot of trub making its way into the fermenters… I guess this was due primarily to the high amount of hops used (approx. 1 oz/gal total hot-side hops). The first brew on this kettle was a more moderately hopped beer and I did not have such problems. Should I be concerned about this or should I not worry? I know there are different schools of thought regarding kettle trub. In my older system I believe I had always been quite successful at keeping most of the trub out of the fermenter, also for IPAs…That is why this is bothering me now a bit… a new system should be an improvement, not a regression :p . Thanks!

What’s causing it to get into your fermenter, is your port below your trub line?

I do the same as you, but I add a few steps.

1. I have a pump, so after I whirlpool, while getting down to ferm temperature, I pump the return into a SS hop spider I have. This collects A LOT, but not all of the hop particles. And it does clog, so I have to finagle it a bit to allow the wort to filter through.
2. When I transfer the wort to the fermenter, I run it through one of those funnels that has a strainer at the bottom of it.

Works well for me I think!

I try and keep as much out as possible.

I’ll often wait an hour or so after the fermenter is full and at pitching temps then dump what’s settled before pitching yeast.

Excess trub can have a pretty negative effect on head retention.

What’s causing it to get into your fermenter, is your port below your trub line?

The port is the Ss brewtech dip tube with their custum trub dam. Basically it is a device that should theoretically allow one to pick up even the last liters of wort provided
a) a whirlpool is done and
b) the whirlpool is effective and the trub piles up nicely in a cone in the middle of the kettle.

In this instance I guess that there was so much hop material that the cone was just too broad and it covered the full bottom of the kettle...including the spot where the dip tube is located beyond the trub dam.

I’ll often wait an hour or so after the fermenter is full and at pitching temps then dump what’s settled before pitching yeast.

That is of course a great way to solve the issue but unfortunately not doable for me at the moment, since I haven't upgraded to conicals yet... nor will that happen in a near future.

That is of course a great way to solve the issue but unfortunately not doable for me at the moment, since I haven't upgraded to conicals yet... nor will that happen in a near future.
I wouldnt worry too much, I had a few brews where more trub then wanter went in the fermenter and never noticed a huge difference.

Do you have an extra kettle or vessel that can hold your KO volume. If so you can rack first to that and follow that process and then after it’s all settled again, transfer to your fv.

The port is the Ss brewtech dip tube with their custum trub dam. Basically it is a device that should theoretically allow one to pick up even the last liters of wort provided
a) a whirlpool is done and
b) the whirlpool is effective and the trub piles up nicely in a cone in the middle of the kettle.

In this instance I guess that there was so much hop material that the cone was just too broad and it covered the full bottom of the kettle...including the spot where the dip tube is located beyond the trub dam.
can your dip tube to the port be angled up a bit so it’s above the trub. If so then you can just adjust your recipe and volume to account for the loss

Do you have an extra kettle or vessel that can hold your KO volume. If so you can rack first to that and follow that process and then after it’s all settled again, transfer to your fv.
unfortunately not... if I'm putting another 20 Gal vessel like that in my basement I'll get trouble ;)

can your dip tube to the port be angled up a bit so it’s above the trub. If so then you can just adjust your recipe and volume to account for the loss

This is a great and simple idea I did not think about! Yes I think I could do that. You can place that dip tube basically in any position you want, if it holds that position during the boil... It is of course made to be turned downwards because of the trub dam and all, but why not?
I think I'll definitely try this on my next hugely hoppy brew. Thanks!

My AU hops and LUPOMAX came in. Highly recommend buying their hops in two ounce packs. It only cost a $1.95 more to get 8 - 2oz packs than a 1lb bag. That’s worth not having to use my time and vacuum bags and really helps the freshness
2623A962-3C2E-43AA-8EDA-DB222719CF52.jpeg

Last edited:
My AU hops and LUPOMAX came in. Highly recommend buy their hops in to ounce packs. It only cost a $1.95 more to get 8 - 2oz packs than a 1lb bag. That’s worth not having to use my time and vacuum bags and really helps the freshness View attachment 691150
Just looked at YVH website, looked at 2oz packs and it read "out of stock, @Dgallo bought them all" :)

My AU hops and LUPOMAX came in. Highly recommend buying their hops in two ounce packs. It only cost a $1.95 more to get 8 - 2oz packs than a 1lb bag. That’s worth not having to use my time and vacuum bags and really helps the freshness View attachment 691150

Nice Haul!

Picked up a pound of Vic secret & Mosaic LUPOMAX myself.

Never used either of these before, if anyone has any suggestions let me know. Looking to use both in my next NEIPA.

Love this thread and all of the informative posts. Thank you guys!

Nice Haul!

Picked up a pound of Vic secret & Mosaic LUPOMAX myself.

Never used either of these before, if anyone has any suggestions let me know. Looking to use both in my next NEIPA.

Love this thread and all of the informative posts. Thank you guys!
I love Vic secret but just be aware that it has very high polyphenol content. This is just something I’ve heard from other very knowledgeable people, and have also Found it to be true myself. It’s similar in a way to galaxy in that it can be quite amazing, but you have to be kind of gentle with it.

Thinking of doing a split batch comparing crashing and dry hopping at crash temp vs crashing and warming up to 70F for dryhop. I like Juice, so I will use that. What is the temp to use for a colder dry hop with Juice to still get amazing flavors from the hops but avoid any yeast activity? I was thinking 50F like Aaron from New Anthem has been using or maybe 60F for a warmer variation that is hopefully cold enough.

I love Vic secret but just be aware that it has very high polyphenol content. This is just something I’ve heard from other very knowledgeable people, and have also Found it to be true myself. It’s similar in a way to galaxy in that it can be quite amazing, but you have to be kind of gentle with it.

Good to know, Thanks! I'll definitely keep that in mind, especially when pairing it with other hops.

Dumb question, but does "gentle" simply mean to not use "extreme" amounts? In my last brew, I used 3oz per gallon in the dry hop, which I've read is probably past the point of diminishing returns (but damn was it tasty). Should I consider cutting that in half? Would 2oz/gallon still be too much?

Dumb question, but does "gentle" simply mean to not use "extreme" amounts? In my last brew, I used 3oz per gallon in the dry hop, which I've read is probably past the point of diminishing returns (but damn was it tasty). Should I consider cutting that in half? Would 2oz/gallon still be too much?
Heavy polyphenol amounts can lead to astringency, harshness, and perceived bitterness in the beer. (Not ibu bitterness) In order to reduce the amount of polyphenols, or at least attempt to, you can try using a little bit less than you normally would, try dry hopping at cooler temperatures, consider shorter contact times, and really crash your beer hard and cold to drop out as much as possible. All of these will help but your mileage may vary. Time will always help but the above will get you to a more ready to drink beer faster.

Back