New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You ever brew a beer and wonder wth happened? The color on this beer came out looking off and oxidized. Granted I’m Pretty hard on anything I brew. Been 17 days in the keg and just now starting to mellow out a tad. This is not my best NEIPA as this beer is quite pungent. I tried to get too fancy with the hot side hops and this is just too bitter. Also still scratching my head on the color. Straight cedar/wood with a hint of coconut, picking up a little lime also. It’s starting to grow on me but I wouldn’t brew this again Sabro is quite pungent!

Pils
2lb Malted oats
1lb White wheat
4oz honey malt
6oz sugar

Dry Hop Day 3
1oz Simcoe
1oz Amarillo

Dry Hop day 12
Sabro 4oz
Motueka 3.25oz ran out

I had same experience with high % Sabro (cedar city), but when dropping it to ~15% of the hop bill, it adds a nice tropical fruit salad vibe.

You ever brew a beer and wonder wth happened? The color on this beer came out looking off and oxidized. Granted I’m Pretty hard on anything I brew. Been 17 days in the keg and just now starting to mellow out a tad. This is not my best NEIPA as this beer is quite pungent. I tried to get too fancy with the hot side hops and this is just too bitter. Also still scratching my head on the color. Straight cedar/wood with a hint of coconut, picking up a little lime also. It’s starting to grow on me but I wouldn’t brew this again Sabro is quite pungent!

Pils
2lb Malted oats
1lb White wheat
4oz honey malt
6oz sugar

Dry Hop Day 3
1oz Simcoe
1oz Amarillo

Dry Hop day 12
Sabro 4oz
Motueka 3.25oz ran out
No offense but it definitely looks oxidized, did it look like that prior to carbonating? What was your hot side hop schedule?

A website that I buy a lot of my hops off of currently has a sale on a few 2018 crop year hops that have caught my interest. Has anyone had any experience or opinions on Comet, Astra & Hallertau Blanc? The Blanc especially interests me because it sounds similar to Nelson Sauvin.

hall blanc has a character sort of like sauvignon blanc. winey/vinous and some dank qualities to my taste. try a touch in your dry hop for depth. i just used 1oz in an ipa with other hops and it added a nice dimension

A website that I buy a lot of my hops off of currently has a sale on a few 2018 crop year hops that have caught my interest. Has anyone had any experience or opinions on Comet, Astra & Hallertau Blanc? The Blanc especially interests me because it sounds similar to Nelson Sauvin.

No offense but it definitely looks oxidized, did it look like that prior to carbonating? What was your hot side hop schedule?

I ferment under pressure in a conical and this was the first time i used CO2 to rouse the hops. I'm wondering by not purging the air out before shooting the co2 up in the beer i shot some o2 in.

.5 Amarillo FWH
.3 Simcoe FWH

.75 Amarillo @ 20 MIN
.50 Simcoe @ 20 MIN

2.25 Amarillo WP @ 30MIN
1.75 Simcoe WP @ 30MIN

1oz Amarillio Day 3 DH
1oz Simcoe Day 3 DH
4oz Sabro DH
4oz Motueka DH

I ferment under pressure in a conical and this was the first time i used CO2 to rouse the hops. I'm wondering by not purging the air out before shooting the co2 up in the beer i shot some o2 in.

.5 Amarillo FWH
.3 Simcoe FWH

.75 Amarillo @ 20 MIN
.50 Simcoe @ 20 MIN

2.25 Amarillo WP @ 30MIN
1.75 Simcoe WP @ 30MIN

1oz Amarillio Day 3 DH
1oz Simcoe Day 3 DH
4oz Sabro DH
4oz Motueka DH

Those hot side amounts don't seem excessive to me
Of course prior to injecting co2 for any process you would need to purge any components (tubing etc) to ensure it is void of air

I brewed the AllTogether NEIPA a few weeks ago (4/4/20). It had a lot of hop burn the first 2 weeks but it has matured to be very good. Heavy citrus with enough pine and slight dankness to give it some depth. Looks great when the sun hits it :) :
IMG_3101.jpg

I had an idea - wondering if anyone has tried letting the fermentation finish, cold crash all the way and fine with gelatin for a few days or even longer - then dry hop! (either cold or back at 60F)

If any of you get the chance, the new craft beer & brewing podcast with the brewer from Vitamin Sea brewing in Massachusetts is super interesting and informative. Definitely worth a listen.

Was a really cool listen. Seemed like he was a reluctant (Maybe big system can homebrew Numbers make it hard) to come of water chemistry and other information but eventually gave pretty good insight. The cold crashing To 55 before dryhopping seems like something they picked up from an established brewery in the Boston Area. Thanks for the heads up! Great listen! Trying to get out to them but now will definitely make more of an effort!

From Weldworks - "As for total hop loads, one of our most popular beers, Extra Extra Juicy Bits, is dry hopped at nearly 10 lbs./bbl (5 oz. per gallon/37 grams per L) " !!

JC said the exact same thing. It's not unheard of.

Someone use 25oz of hops in a 5 gallon batch and report back!

"When it comes to dry hopping, we’ve found leaving the hops in contact 8 or 9 days to be the sweet spot for most of our beers, but we’ve had great results with as few as 5 days. As for total hop loads, one of our most popular beers, Extra Extra Juicy Bits, is dry hopped at nearly 10 lbs./bbl (5 oz. per gallon/37 grams per L) and it’s a surprisingly balanced and drinkable beer despite the extreme dry hop rate. But extended cold conditioning times are a must for heavily dry hopped beers, otherwise hop burn becomes a real issue."

I'm wondering if we are dry hopping long enough? It seems most in here are suggesting 2-3 days for dry hops. This probably has more to do with the commercial scale if i had to guess they require longer dry hop saturation do due to volume of beer.

Last edited:
These arent actual pellet numbers though, they are using concentrates and cryo hops and providing the equivalent numbers for pellets. Other half makes this very clear in the HDHC MORE CITRA THAN ALL CITRA. They say they use pelletes, cryo hops, and a new concentrate that is the equivalent of 15lbs per BBL
https://otherhalfbrewing.com/beer/hdhc-more-citra-than-all-citra/

Are they using concentrate cold side, though? I've only known that to be a kettle bittering thing, but I'm probably way behind the times.

Are they using concentrate cold side, though? I've only known that to be a kettle bittering thing, but I'm probably way behind the times.
Incognito is specifically for low temp whirlpool additions for flavor/aroma.

They also may be referring to a new product that’s more versatile and is easily dissolved at dryhop temps. I know there are some brands available to hbers now, so i’d guess there’s a high quality product available for breweries of that stature

There’s now extract for bitter as well as flavor/aroma that go in the kettle or wp.

there are others that can be added on cold side. some are hop extracts, some are not- or only partially—hop based, and some are chemical reproductions of hop oil profilings

I've had great luck with 7oz in the WP and 6-7oz in the dryhop. I may try to up the dry hop and see what differences it makes.

that is an interesting read. i have been coming around to the conclusion that i like 1318/Juice best as well. I am starting to think I am going to go back to lower hop levels in the hop stand too. it seems like you only need a touch and then load up on dry hops, especially if you soft/cold crash first...

https://byo.com/article/neipa-tips-...-66381981&mc_cid=94cf462405&mc_eid=70b2d4ad4d
This is a really good read. Interesting to see that JC from Trillium says that 90-95% of their hops are added cold side.

i've been thinking about that since i started soft/cold crashing before dry hop. i think it would be worth a try. it would be fun to do a split batch comparison. i've gotten pretty good results without fining, so i don't know if i'd mess with it honestly. try it and let us know!

I had an idea - wondering if anyone has tried letting the fermentation finish, cold crash all the way and fine with gelatin for a few days or even longer - then dry hop! (either cold or back at 60F)

i've been thinking about that since i started soft/cold crashing before dry hop. i think it would be worth a try. it would be fun to do a split batch comparison. i've gotten pretty good results without fining, so i don't know if i'd mess with it honestly. try it and let us know!

I listened to a podcast recently with Scott Janish and he said that they use finings on all their beers at Sapwood Cellars because it rids of unwanted materials in suspension regardless of whether the beer is hazy or not.

i doubt they are using cold-side finings in the ipas but maybe. hot side, sure.

I listened to a podcast recently with Scott Janish and he said that they use finings on all their beers at Sapwood Cellars because it rids of unwanted materials in suspension regardless of whether the beer is hazy or not.

Have you guys who are following Janish's book and advice had Sapwood beers? Are you impressed by them?

A lot of places will fine or centrifuge hazy beer. It’s all about using the right finings to work on the rite particulate in the beer. It can actually help with the long term stability of the haze (and flavor/aroma). Same thing with a centrifuge. Helps to get rid of the particulate that would eventually precipitate in a package.

Last edited:
Have you guys who are following Janish's book and advice had Sapwood beers? Are you impressed by them?

Hate being the guy to point to their Untappd as an indicator of anything, but folks seem to like it to an extent... The way I see it is they may be a little ahead of their time in some aspects. Experimental beers and techniques are not often appreciated when they first come around. They also have only been open since about 2018 so I could see how they could still getting their equipment and process nailed down.
I'll have to visit them when making a trip out to the in-laws for sure.

I'm going to be trying Scott's Hefeweizen yeast experiment in a few weeks, will definitely report back!

What temp do you all keep your kegs/keezer at? I tend to like drinking these beers around 46-48, so that’s what I keep mine at. But after reading that article and seeing JC from trillium state how important he believes keeping their beers cold is, I’m wondering if I may be losing some of the qualities I work so hard to get into the finished beer because I’m not keeping it as cold as I should.

Last edited:

I picked up a few growlers around Thanksgiving. I've also had small tastes at local beer fests and even at HomebrewCon in balitmore (a NEIPA for club night and some hoppy sours during Mike's presentation), which I think was before they opened. So I wouldn't say I'm overly familiar with their beer, but I have tried some.

I really liked Findle Bindle. The other two I had were good, too. They didn't make me swoon like I do when I go to Treehouse & Bissell Brothers each year, or when I get some Trillium/Hill Farmstead. But judging them strictly by the little I've tried--which is admittedly not enough--I'd say they're certainly in the top 2 or 3 in the area (roughly northern virginia to baltimore). Going forward, they'll be one the breweries I frequent the most and I certainly view their blogs and techniques as reliable for my own immitation.

I'm going to be trying Scott's Hefeweizen yeast experiment in a few weeks, will definitely report back!

I just made my second batch of the Trinity Julius clone that mixes S04 with small amounts of T58 and WB06. My first batch was far and away the closest thing to what I've been chasing. I made this second batch on Sunday and tasted a gravity sample last night. Even though I haven't dry hopped it yet, its bursting with peach and citrus. I'm going to keep experimenting with yeasts, but I think it'll be hard to beat that combination.

I just made my second batch of the Trinity Julius clone that mixes S04 with small amounts of T58 and WB06. My first batch was far and away the closest thing to what I've been chasing.

Every version of this recipe seems to have a different hop combination. What are you using?

Last edited:
I haven't had Tree House so I can't contribute much there, but as far as Hefeweizen yeasts go, its not very expressive in any notes like banana or general fruitiness. I would be curious how Wyeast Weinstephan stacks up in this recipe and also how it would look on the genetic breakdown next to WB-06.

Probably what is listed on this site Trinity Brewers Collab - Homebrew Recipes from Guys Who Love Beer
I have made four batches following that recipe. Was pretty good but I started looking for something with a fuller texture. Haven't found it yet

Not sure what you mean there by fuller texture - are you looking for mouthfeel, esters or hop saturation?

I haven't had Tree House so I can't contribute much there, but as far as Hefeweizen yeasts go, its not very expressive in any notes like banana or general fruitiness. I would be curious how Wyeast Weinstephan stacks up in this recipe and also how it would look on the genetic breakdown next to WB-06.

You mean 3068? It's the benchmark for the "true" hefe strains, which are effectively a kolsch strain with a bit of saison DNA inserted.

WB-06 is completely unrelated to the true hefe strains, it's a slightly weird member of the saison family that is most closely related to strains that may have come from Duvel.

Not sure what you mean there by fuller texture - are you looking for mouthfeel, esters or hop saturation?
Mouthfeel.. but was trying to say it differently.

I dropped by there last October when I was up in Maryland for work. I'm pretty sure I posted about it many pages back in this thread. The beers were well done, a few I really liked. I was very perplexed though that the one that is maybe their most touted beer(at least from what I'd heard) had seemed to drop pretty clear and had a somewhat muted flavor.

I swear every beer I make with oats and my process drops clear. Same beer sans the oats (2 row, Carafoam, light crystal) never clears.

Someone use 25oz of hops in a 5 gallon batch and report back!

"When it comes to dry hopping, we’ve found leaving the hops in contact 8 or 9 days to be the sweet spot for most of our beers, but we’ve had great results with as few as 5 days. As for total hop loads, one of our most popular beers, Extra Extra Juicy Bits, is dry hopped at nearly 10 lbs./bbl (5 oz. per gallon/37 grams per L) and it’s a surprisingly balanced and drinkable beer despite the extreme dry hop rate. But extended cold conditioning times are a must for heavily dry hopped beers, otherwise hop burn becomes a real issue."

I'm wondering if we are dry hopping long enough? It seems most in here are suggesting 2-3 days for dry hops. This probably has more to do with the commercial scale if i had to guess they require longer dry hop saturation do due to volume of beer.

Im sure most of these guys using 37g/l + are centrifuging.
If we used that much we would end up with hop soup

Back