New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ha.... I am already too far behind on my "to do" list..... pretty sure there is no time for a blog:)

I actually have a bunch of NEIPA's in the fridge right now..... Trillium, Alchemist, The Veil, Sole, Other Half, Toppling Goliath, etc..... Might have to go pick up some more traditional IPA's - stone, Two Hearted, Sierra Nevada, etc. and Check the pH's on all of them as I drink them see how they compare and contrast. Might be interesting.

Sounds like a good experiment. I recently picked up a 6 pk of Stone IPA 1.0 about 8 weeks old. I was surprised at what it tasted like, and not in a good way. It's been a long time since I had it more recently, and that time it was on tap. The keg definitely had aged but I remember the flavor being better. Not sure if it was my taste buds or what.

Some very interesting points in here..... "higher pH = "softer beer" Also points about head retention and impact on break....
http://www.weyermann.de/downloads/pdf/Weyermann_TKW_Mash-pH_2010.pdf

Interesting info particularly toward the end of paper....."Higher pHís were accompanied by comments about mouth coating...."
http://www.mbaa.com/districts/Northwest/Documents/BAMFORTH, pH in brewing.pdf

There's some really great stuff in these articles you've posted. What I'm really interested in is how the guys at treehouse and hill farmstead came to make this a part of their brewing process. I'd love to know was it a conscious act or just something they stumbled upon from years of experimenting because there really seems to be a science behind it that was never before explored or maybe it was but turbid hazy beers were just frowned upon. I'd love to hear Nates perspective on this as it doesn't seem like their are a whole lot of interviews with him out there about his brewing process, not that he's going to give away all the trade secrets, but again was this a conscious planned part of his brewing process and if so how did he even come up with it.

I actually have a bunch of NEIPA's in the fridge right now..... Trillium, Alchemist, The Veil, Sole, Other Half, Toppling Goliath, etc.....

Can you share how you obtained those NEIPAs? I'm itching to get my hands on some but am coming up empty in the DC region. Any help would be appreciated.

Can you share how you obtained those NEIPAs? I'm itching to get my hands on some but am coming up empty in the DC region. Any help would be appreciated.

I trade beers with a guy out east that goes to Vermont area a lot. I live within 10 minutes of Toppling Goliath, so, I ship him all the T.G. he wants, including hard to get barrel aged stouts, and he sends me various NE IPA's.

In all honesty, your best bet might be to go to some of the places as you are somewhat close to the source..... or beer festivals out that way as well.

I trade beers with a guy out east that goes to Vermont area a lot. I live within 10 minutes of Toppling Goliath, so, I ship him all the T.G. he wants, including hard to get barrel aged stouts, and he sends me various NE IPA's.

In all honesty, your best bet might be to go to some of the places as you are somewhat close to the source..... or beer festivals out that way as well.

Thanks. Yeah I think I'll have to just go there. Tired Hands looks to be the closest and I still haven't been to Philly.

You have the Answer Brewpub out there in Richmond. They are doing some hazy IPAs and they are solid. Also Bluejacket seems to be playing with the haze a bit. Although I wasn't wowed by their IPAs unlike DC Brau and Union, they did have some interesting stuff on. Certainly Union and DC Brau are doing more of the west coast variety but I would suspect some folks wouldn't mind trading for some of those breweries. Not to mention Lickinghole (awful name....) creek brewery is do some great stuff as well.

Thanks. Yeah I think I'll have to just go there. Tired Hands looks to be the closest and I still haven't been to Philly.

The Veil Brewing Company in Richmond VA has some great beers..... as good or better than a lot of the stuff up further to the NorthEast. They would not be terribly far from DC area.

Philly area is where I'm and undoubtedly tired hands will be the closest to form in PA (haziest your gonna get in PA), neshaminy creek (more west coast), free will (mostly doing different beers like sours), and forest & main (saisons).

Now that I know about Veil I will have to swing by there next time I'm in Richmond.

Not sure how close you are to Dulles Airport but Aslin is brewing some awesome beers true to the NE style.

You have the Answer Brewpub out there in Richmond. They are doing some hazy IPAs and they are solid. Also Bluejacket seems to be playing with the haze a bit. Although I wasn't wowed by their IPAs unlike DC Brau and Union, they did have some interesting stuff on. Certainly Union and DC Brau are doing more of the west coast variety but I would suspect some folks wouldn't mind trading for some of those breweries. Not to mention Lickinghole (awful name....) creek brewery is do some great stuff as well.

The Veil Brewing Company in Richmond VA has some great beers..... as good or better than a lot of the stuff up further to the NorthEast. They would not be terribly far from DC area.

Not sure how close you are to Dulles Airport but Aslin is brewing some awesome beers true to the NE style.

I've added a trip to Richmond to my list it's only slightly closer to me than Philly. I've been to Bluejacket and all the other DC breweries and I like them just searching for a specific NE IPA right now. I haven't been to Aslin but I'll check them out. I live right by the National Cemetery in Arlington. I have been out to Ocelot and their IPAs blew me away as well as some other barrel aged stuff they had. Highly recommend them. Thanks for all the suggestions!

That's interesting, beer looks great. I say that as I've considered using that yeast and I think it's one on the list that can really compliment this style. Looks like it does the job. Does it add any real yeast characteristics, like fruitiness or tart/ spiciness? I ask as I've never used Denny's before but those are some of the characteristics I get in 1318 in this style. It obviously floccs like 1318 and for reference you can see a pic of my recent beer with 1318 on page 111, they look pretty similar. How did u like the azacca, I used it once and wasn't impressed enough to keep it above the usual Citra, Galaxy, mosaic, simcoe hops

I don't get much tartness or spiciness from it but I believe the slight fruitiness Denny's lends plays really well with this style. Also, the mouthfeel on this is one of the best I've ever had since I've started brewing.

In regards to the Azacca, I'm all about them. I use this same combo (in much less amounts) in another one of my IPAs and the pineapple flavor I feel like I get from it I really like. I also feel like the aroma in the beers I've used Azacca with always have a very strong nose to them.

Latest version almost done. Pulled a gravity sample after 1.5 weeks and it's at 1.013, so done. Same recipe that i've used, just scaled up in size and this time I used conan instead of 1318. Same basic temp profile, few days going from 66-68, then up to 72 and back down to 66.

Holy crap the smell is nothing but peach. Not complaining at all. It's peach with citrus notes. Sample is chilling in the fridge, can't wait to see how it tastes. This was generation 2 conan grabbed from a blonde as braufessor outlines.

Trying to rotate kegs today for step kids coming home..... poured off a couple growlers to empty out some kegs..... this is my "normal" NE IPA..... but, this is how clear it drops toward the end of a keg. It stays pretty hazy for the most part..... but about the last 4-6 pints are usually really clear. And, still spectacular:)

clear.jpg

First time kegging. Happy with how this brew turned out but still under carbed. I did miss FG by a bit but not too worried. Couldn't wait any longer and had to try it from my new kegerator!

62% 2 Row
31% flaked oat and wheat combo
5% carapils
2% honey malt
Mostly Simcoe, Nelson and a touch of Mosaic for hops.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1469580252.391972.jpg

Trying to rotate kegs today for step kids coming home..... poured off a couple growlers to empty out some kegs..... this is my "normal" NE IPA..... but, this is how clear it drops toward the end of a keg. It stays pretty hazy for the most part..... but about the last 4-6 pints are usually really clear. And, still spectacular:)

That really does clear!

Just did my first attempt at one of these this past weekend. I used galaxy and mosiac hops. Cant wait to try it.

Brau what do you think final beer pH does to the final product. So I think I saw somewhere here maybe in the Treehouse Julius thread someone tested the pH and it was in the 4.5-4.8 range don't remember exactly. Just curious how the final pH would effect the final product.

This was me. Generally I've measured 4.3-4.65 for TH IPAs and DIPAs

I've measured the following pH's of TH beers:
4/15 Tree House Haze - 4.3
4/15 Tree House C14 - 4.35
5/15 Tree House Julius - 4.5
11/15 Tree House Haze - 4.48
11/15 Tree House Green - 4.46
11/15 Tree House Alter Ego - 4.36
11/15 Tree House Julius - 4.44
1/16 Tree House Sap - 4.5
1/16 Tree House Very Green - 4.6
1/16 Tree House Green - 4.65
5/16 Tree House - 4.41

The only non-TH IPA i measured was Maine Dinner at 4.78. According to Mitch Steele, traditional IPAs (~2002) had pH in the range of 3.9-4.7, with the bulk being around the low 4's. Not sure if things have changed since then though.

You can see the list here: http://thirdleapbrew.com/technical/ph/

Did my first batch of a modified version of this recipe a few weeks ago - reminds me a lot of Tree House Green, just more sessionable.

Edit: Not sure why the photo is rotated in HBT. It is correctly oriented on my computer. Hmm...

IMG_7912.jpg

Last edited:
Did my first batch of a modified version of this recipe a few weeks ago - reminds me a lot of Tree House Green, just more sessionable.

Edit: Not sure why the photo is rotated in HBT. It is correctly oriented on my computer. Hmm...

I know my iPad does this to photos...If I take a pic with the iPad and hold it vertically...it shows up fine everywhere else - just not here. If I take the photo with the iPad horizontally then it is fine (here and other places too).

You could try rotating it clockwise with a photo editing program before uploading.

That's the problem...it shows up in the correct orientation on my Mac but as soon as I upload to HBT, it rotates it.

Edit: rotated it CW 90 degrees to fix it. Damn this beer is delicious AND beautiful. Thanks for sharing @Braufessor!

IMG_7912.jpg

Somehow I just noticed that the original recipe for this calls for two separate dry hops. Just wondering how critical that is to achieving the hazy juicyness. I don't quite have enough hops on hand for two dry hops, but if it is critical, I will go get some more.

I should add that in my recipe, I did use a bit more late boil hops. I added .75 oz Centennial at 15 and 10 minutes.

Somehow I just noticed that the original recipe for this calls for two separate dry hops. Just wondering how critical that is to achieving the hazy juicyness. I don't quite have enough hops on hand for two dry hops, but if it is critical, I will go get some more.

I should add that in my recipe, I did use a bit more late boil hops. I added .75 oz Centennial at 15 and 10 minutes.

I think others have done a single dry hop with good results. You could also move those 15/10 minute hops a bit later.... just throwing them in at 5 minutes, and then taking some of the hop-stand hops and add them to that single dry hop.

Does this count? Not really an IPA, but reminds me of about everything I drank at Maine Beer Co (in looks and taste).

3baf768f-54f5-4052-8d82-d214c403ac3e_zpseneigzgu.jpg

Braufessor,
I'm currently brewing my second batch of this amazing beer, and have a question about the flame-out hops. After flame-out, about how long does it take you to get down to the 160 degree temp? I ask because it doesn't take me long to get to 160 degrees if I use my counterflow chiller to get there. I use well water to chill and its sitting around 52 degrees out of the ground. In fact I brewed a lager a couple of weeks ago and chilled the kettle down below 60 degrees and the kettle was actually sweating it was so cold. If I just wait to come down to 160 without the chiller, it would take at least 20 minutes or more I'm guessing. If I had a ballpark time i would just let it sit there until the allotted time then chill to 160.I'm thinking 15 minutes or so. What do you think?

Pics are the 1st batch I made along with the label I put on my tap handle.

Thanks in Advance

Insidious Beer Pic.jpg

Insidious IPA.jpg

I think others have done a single dry hop with good results. You could also move those 15/10 minute hops a bit later.... just throwing them in at 5 minutes, and then taking some of the hop-stand hops and add them to that single dry hop.

Thanks Brau! This batch is already 5 days in, so can't change the boil. But I'll be brewing this multiple times this year to try and dial in what I'm going for. After tasting I'll consider moving the 10/15 additions. I also didn't do a 60 like you did. First addition was just 1/2 ounce of CTZ at 30. This batch size was 6 gallons into the fermenter.

I am at day 5 and still seeing pretty significant air lock activity. Should do my first dry hop anyway or wait until the air lock activity dies down? I used Conan this time around and had to use a blow off early on. The beer has changed color and started to clear a little as well.

Hey guys tried searching for answer to this question but couldn't find it.

For this recipe/style and for those that are bottling, are you guys racking from a primary carboy to secondary carboy? If so, how long in the primary? Are you adding the first hop additions in the primary or secondary? Thanks everybody for your wealth of knowledge

For this recipe/style and for those that are bottling, are you guys racking from a primary carboy to secondary carboy? If so, how long in the primary? Are you adding the first hop additions in the primary or secondary? Thanks everybody for your wealth of knowledge

I never rack to secondary unless I'm racking onto something (wood, fruit) or the beer will be fermenting for more than 4-5 weeks. I bottle and will go from primary to bottling bucket on bottling day. On a relatively low gravity beer like this one, I will primary for 11-15 days, then bottle. This is what works for me.

@Brau brewed up a batch of your Blonde to harvest the Conan yeast for a 2nd attempt at the NE IPA.
Cracked open a bottle today. It's right at 18 days old, bottled on 7/24. It could use another couple days of bottle conditioning to get the carbonation right but it was good. My wife even liked it.
With that said, next time I may brew using El Dorado as I brewed a SMaSH using it and my wife liked that too. Need to try and keep her happy to get her off my case LOL.
Thanks BRau.

I bottle and brewed my first batch a couple months ago. I never rack to secondary, although I did do it for this brew so I could harvest the yeast. All dry hops were done in the secondary. There will be a lot of hop debris so if you plan on harvesting the yeast I suggest you rack to secondary.
I went 10-12 days before racking to secondary. The first generation Conan was sluggish even after being on a stir plate for 18 hrs.

I bottle and brewed my first batch a couple months ago. I never rack to secondary, although I did do it for this brew so I could harvest the yeast. All dry hops were done in the secondary. There will be a lot of hop debris so if you plan on harvesting the yeast I suggest you rack to secondary.
I went 10-12 days before racking to secondary. The first generation Conan was sluggish even after being on a stir plate for 18 hrs.

Try harvesting yeast off the starter.,Much cleaner as there's no hops debris or trub. I'm on my 4th gen of Conan and it takes off in 4-8 hrs consistently depending on og. Oxygenate it well as u should every beer and it'll take off fast and finish within a couple days but I've also found raising temp up to 70-72 once primary fermentarion is done really helps this yeast clean up and hit its optimum fg.

Try harvesting yeast off the starter.,Much cleaner as there's no hops debris or trub. I'm on my 4th gen of Conan and it takes off in 4-8 hrs consistently depending on og. Oxygenate it well as u should every beer and it'll take off fast and finish within a couple days but I've also found raising temp up to 70-72 once primary fermentarion is done really helps this yeast clean up and hit its optimum fg.
I do harvest from the starter- part of what I harvested went into the blonde ale and then harvested that which will be used for future NE IPA brews. Actually I believe this is how Braufessor does it according to his post.

I do harvest from the starter- part of what I harvested went into the blonde ale and then harvested that which will be used for future NE IPA brews. Actually I believe this is how Braufessor does it according to his post.

Yes - this is what I do. I like having something like a blonde ale on tap all the time for folks who are not into IPA's etc. I also brew a lot, so I am going through harvested yeast pretty easily. So, taking the time to brew a blonde and harvest quite a bit of yeast is a good strategy for what I do.

For anyone who brews less frequently (say..... once every 2-3-4 weeks)....and when they do brew, they don't want to be messing around with brewing blonde ales - over-making starters and saving some for next time is a pretty good way to go as well.

Braufessor,
I'm currently brewing my second batch of this amazing beer, and have a question about the flame-out hops. After flame-out, about how long does it take you to get down to the 160 degree temp? I ask because it doesn't take me long to get to 160 degrees if I use my counterflow chiller to get there. I use well water to chill and its sitting around 52 degrees out of the ground. In fact I brewed a lager a couple of weeks ago and chilled the kettle down below 60 degrees and the kettle was actually sweating it was so cold. If I just wait to come down to 160 without the chiller, it would take at least 20 minutes or more I'm guessing. If I had a ballpark time i would just let it sit there until the allotted time then chill to 160.I'm thinking 15 minutes or so. What do you think?

Pics are the 1st batch I made along with the label I put on my tap handle.

Thanks in Advance

Are you *sure* it wasn't 79.86 IBU's???

Back