Northeast Ohio Bulk Grain Order

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's set for private.

You should be able to view it now. Let me know if you're still having trouble.

Nice thank you Hugh :)
This will help us out Big time, Us Ohioians sticking together... Take that Ted Strikland...LMAO

It has some pretty useful features. It calculates for partial bags and you can add the cost of supplies like bags to divide whole sacks. It also calculates each individual's shipping charges. Everyone can add their own order and see their amount due. It also allows for different brands of various grains, i.e. Maris Otter or Vienna.

I know it really helped keep everything organized.

good luck

It has some pretty useful features. It calculates for partial bags and you can add the cost of supplies like bags to divide whole sacks. It also calculates each individual's shipping charges. Everyone can add their own order and see their amount due. It also allows for different brands of various grains, i.e. Maris Otter or Vienna.

I know it really helped keep everything organized.

good luck

Awesome :)
Adding in the grain and stuff now :)
How do I change the price per pound of grain.. Keeps giving me an error...

Oh and remember some bags are really 25 kg, so this means to calculate the price per pound there's a correction factor. NCM will charge for 55.12 lb sacks. Ask me how I know. :eek:

I should add, I placed an ad on Craig's List telling about the grain buy. I think I picked up a couple of buyers that way. There was a truck in the area, so we weren't concerned with filling pallets, It was the more the merrier. I think we ended up with ~90 sacks. Because of the amount of buyers, we could divide sacks of C-60, Roasted Barley, and other grains not necessarily needed in 55# quantities and also DME for extract brewers and those who use it for starters.

I should add, I placed an ad on Craig's List telling about the grain buy. I think I picked up a couple of buyers that way. There was a truck in the area, so we weren't concerned with filling pallets, It was the more the merrier. I think we ended up with ~90 sacks. Because of the amount of buyers, we could divide sacks of C-60, Roasted Barley, and other grains not necessarily needed in 55# quantities and also DME for extract brewers and those who use it for starters.

This is my first Pallet Order.. So I'm a bit confused on a few things yet.
Will they pull it off the Truck for us and then we divide it?
Or does it have to go to a Business....

Brand new and nervous with that side of it.

You'll need a place of delivery, residential or commercial. I'm not sure if there's an additional charge for residential or things like a lift gate.

The truck driver will pull up to the address designated on the Bill of Lading, open the doors and from there it's your responsibility. It would help to have the delivery take place somewhere that has a loading dock, but it's not absolutely necessary. I'd make sure those who are participating in the buy are there to help unload the truck and take their grains home with them. Many hands make light work. And, the last thing you want is a few hundred # of grain in the middle of your living room.

If having the grain buy participants attend isn't possible because of work commitments, make sure you have enough help. You'll need one guy to bring the sacks to the back of the truck and a few to sort the grains. When we did ours, we divided the grains by the participants names. They were ready to go and didn't have to me moved more than once.

You'll need a place of delivery, residential or commercial. I'm not sure if there's an additional charge for residential or things like a lift gate.

The truck driver will pull up to the address designated on the Bill of Lading, open the doors and from there it's your responsibility. It would help to have the delivery take place somewhere that has a loading dock, but it's not absolutely necessary. I'd make sure those who are participating in the buy are there to help unload the truck and take their grains home with them. Many hands make light work. And, the last thing you want is a few hundred # of grain in the middle of your living room.

If having the grain buy participants attend isn't possible because of work commitments, make sure you have enough help. You'll need one guy to bring the sacks to the back of the truck and a few to sort the grains. When we did ours, we divided the grains by the participants names. They were ready to go and didn't have to me moved more than once.

Cool...
That's the way we want this.. Organized.
Especially me with 10 Bags to deal with...lol

Bad News - http://www.examiner.com/social-medi...ait-for-their-refunds-due-to-processing-error

I was going to pay for the grain out of my taxes (which are never late!). Turbo Tax had to resort to sending out paper checks to those affected. I won't be able to participate in the grain buy now until I get my taxes. They are saying this could be around the end of Feb.

Wait and see where we are at with this... It may take us awhile yet anyways.
So I will keep you in there as backup.

Good. I still want in on it but I can't pull funds from anywhere else right now to cover it. They say it will only be a week later.. this will affect me bringing back grain to the Columbus area for anyone as well if I can't do it. Ill keep you updated.

ohiobrewman,

Why not offer it to SAAZ

http://hbd.org/saaz/

and to Wooster

Wayne County Brew Club/ WCBC
2741 Tuckahoe Road
Wooster, OH 44691 USA
330 264-2635
[email protected]

I know some guys from the Wooster club. I bet they'd recognize the spreadsheet.;)

I think after the order for any one grain hits the 1000# mark, the price is discounted further.

I bet if you involve the homebrew clubs around you, you'd fill 2 pallets easy.

JM2C

ohiobrewman,

Why not offer it to SAAZ

http://hbd.org/saaz/

and to Wooster

Wayne County Brew Club/ WCBC
2741 Tuckahoe Road
Wooster, OH 44691 USA
330 264-2635
[email protected]

I know some guys from the Wooster club. I bet they'd recognize the spreadsheet.;)

I think after the order for any one grain hits the 1000# mark, the price is discounted further.

I bet if you involve the homebrew clubs around you, you'd fill 2 pallets easy.

JM2C

We can try it won't hurt...
Probably won't get Saaz though, The Starter of it owns the LHBS here.
Might get lucky though..:)

It's going to take a few days probably to get this together anyways.
I get my Tax Refund Back on Friday and would like to be able to Order by Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday.

All depends on how this goes.
If I can't fill the Pallet I may have to hold off a Month or two.

Yeah.. But I may not have the money in a Week.
Need to Get Er' Done :)

It SAYS Feb 15th....we shall see.

I lost interest when he said it wouldn't go past this coming Wednesday. I could probably fill half a pallet with local orders but I'd need time.

I lost interest when he said it wouldn't go past this coming Wednesday. I could probably fill half a pallet with local orders but I'd need time.

Well that decision is cutting two other people out of it as well. I think (if possible) we should give this another week or two to see how many pallets we are able to fill up. I'm not organizing it so I wouldn't be the one making that decision though.

Well.. That has since changed, Money situation on my end has changed.
So I'm in till we fill up at least a 42 Bag Pallet.

actually can you just change mine to 1 bag of MO for now? Hopefully I'll be able to add another before the actual buy, but don't want to have to back out of a bag at the end removing the 42nd bag.

I might get even more by then...i'm trying to stock up on base grains (i dont get to buy brewing stuff that much) so im trying to cover all of my bases so I can match them with specialty grains, yeast and hops.

Can hops be added this order too or is it just grain?

actually can you just change mine to 1 bag of MO for now? Hopefully I'll be able to add another before the actual buy, but don't want to have to back out of a bag at the end removing the 42nd bag.

LOL if it were that close I would buy a bag to fill it!... I need to find a way to store this grain as well after I get it.

I might get even more by then...i'm trying to stock up on base grains (i dont get to buy brewing stuff that much) so im trying to cover all of my bases so I can match them with specialty grains, yeast and hops.

Can hops be added this order too or is it just grain?

Prefer to keep it to just grain.
I wasn't thrilled with there hops, rather order from Freshhops...

OBM,
I made you the owner of the spreadsheet since you're the one running it. Good for you for doing this. It's a lot of work, but worth it, IMO.

If you'd like, I can announce the buy to my HBC during our meeting this Monday. Let me know.

I agree about the hops. Not very good. Poorly packaged. I did pick up some starsan in bulk during our buy. It was too good of a deal not to.

OBM,
I made you the owner of the spreadsheet since you're the one running it. Good for you for doing this. It's a lot of work, but worth it, IMO.

If you'd like, I can announce the buy to my HBC during our meeting this Monday. Let me know.

I agree about the hops. Not very good. Poorly packaged. I did pick up some starsan in bulk during our buy. It was too good of a deal not to.

Thank you Hugh :)

You have been a big help. I will look at the price on the Starsan as well.

If you could announce it to your brew club that would be awesome.
As many as we can get, Even if it runs into more than 1 Pallet :)
I just want this to be a success and get the same people again for another Bulk Buy :)

This is what being part of the Home-brewing Community is about :)

Shipping Split between all Party's:
$85.00 Pallet fee to Ohio
20% Fuel Surcharge on Pallet = $17.00
Hazardous Waste Fee $15.00
$25.00 Lift Gate Fee
2 Sack/Bag Minimum

By then I will figure out where we will get it Delivered too.
I have a Business Paypal account so be prepared to make this your Payment Method. When we get the Pallet full we will figure all cost's and Pre-Pay for our Order. Then we will get the Date and Time when we can pick up our Grain.

So for Price List Email me over at, Include Homebrewtalk ID:
[email protected]

Also using Google Spreadsheet for Calculations for what Shipping and everything is.
We will use Homebrewtalk user-names to keep track :)
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=tvphrtAON4ZEHGo1s9yFELg&authkey=CMjqg3U#

Shawn :mug:

Count me in for one 55# bag of the Canada Malting Superior Pale Ale Malt
and one 55# bag of the Canada Malting Canadian 2-row.

Is anybody in or closer to western PA thinking about joining in? I'd like to participate but any savings gained would just be lost with having to drive from the Pittsburgh area to Akron for pickup.

Is anybody in or closer to western PA thinking about joining in? I'd like to participate but any savings gained would just be lost with having to drive from the Pittsburgh area to Akron for pickup.

Pittsburgh isn't that far from Akron really.
There's no point if your not going to buy up in the first place.

If I had to, I would drive to Chicago to get these prices.
You need to buy up to make it worth it.

I would, but I just bought 3 sacks a couple weeks ago. Hopefully next time.

Shawn I noticed the prices for Great Western are for 55# sacks, I was under the impression that GW comes in 50# bags, no?

-d

Not sure how I got put in for 3 bags. I only want 1 of Marris Otter. Nothing else. Might be down for starsan though. I am about out.

Latest posts

Back