New England Grain Buy Sept 2014

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys and gals. I just placed the order with NCM. I am going to shoot for delivery next week Weds or Thurday. That would mean the sort will be on the 22nd or 23rd. I will talk with Aslander and figure out what day and time.

If you have splits I need you there to help sort. If you can't be there on the day of the sort to pick up your grain you need to make arangements with someone in the group to pick up your grain. Asking myself of Aslander to deal with your grain should be the very last option.

Last there is no picking your grain up early. We have 4 pallets coming that is nearly 10,000 pounds of grain. Your order could be at the bottom of that pile. Also i need to make sure that everyone has the right order before I release it.

Assuming no delays in delivery. Grain pickup will be Sunday, November 23rd at 11am. People with splits and anyone else that wants to should plan to arrive around 9am to help sort the grain.

If you cannot pick up at this time, please try to find someone else in your area that can bring your bags back with them. If there's absolutely no way that you (or a designate) can get your bags, then PM me prior to the pickup so that we know and so that you can plan a date to come get them.

Click here for a link to my address, I don't want to post it directly in the forum and have it get cached by search engines.

Also, I will repost this the day before the pickup, but a few things to remember:

• Don't be late
  • You can park on the street, but don't park on my or my neighbor's grass!
  • Don't park in front of anyone's driveway
  • Bring a bucket or container if you have a split. 5 gallon buckets hold roughly 25lbs of grain.
  • You should plan on helping to carry other people's bags to their cars. At least try to pay it forward and carry more than you ordered.
  • You will not be able to take your bags until after we have sorted/verified/and called your name
  • If you want to bring any beers for people to try, I won't say no!

I am out of town this weekend and have 3 bags and 3 splits. Is there anyone on the South Shore/ Quincy area that could help me out? I can pay you back with a pound of ahtanum hops. PM me if you can help.

Sorry for missing the sort. If I had any idea that it would be this weekend (which no one could have), I would have not done any splits.

Im coming from 90 minutes away and will not make the 9am sort.... I will be there by 10 the latest.

Sent from RHODE ISLAND using my iPhone on Home Brew talk

Hi All,
I'm going to be in Florida from the 11/22-29. I have 5 bags total - I live in Nashua, NH and work in Lexington, MA. Any chance anyone can pick up and hold the bags until I get back? I am asking another brew friend to pick them up for me, but don't have any definite plans yet. Thanks, Dave Morton, aka
nhwrecker;

Im coming from Coventry, RI if anyone in the area needs help. I have a truck.
You will need to pickup at my house though.. Im not delivering. :)

Hey guys I don't need to get PMs about who is pick up for whom. Unless you are relying on me to pick up your stuff please don't send me a PM about it. My Inbox gets filled up pretty fast.

Anyone looking for a One Plus One phone invite? I just got one for the black 64 GB model. Of course I just bought a new phone and can't use it. So if you are looking for one send me a PM

The homebrew supply shop in Brookline, MA is selling bags of 2 row for $35 on Black Friday!?? that's a pretty good deal, right?

i guess since i missed the deadline with you, i'll support my local business and buy over there :)

He is a decent dude in general and giving folks that price is great. But if you really want to support him buy a few extras while you are there. He is not making a penny off the 2 Row.

ya, i go there a lot, it's a great shop! i'm glad they opened on this side of town. true, he's not making a penny, but I think that's the point. hes' giving back to those who support local business and buy through the store.

In case anyone needs, I live in Hudson MA and wouldn't mind storing grain for a bit.

Well yesterday the driver brought the delivery and the pallets were wedged so tight that we couldn't get them out of the truck. He came back today and the pallet jack had a broken wheel that we found out after attempting to move a pallet. We wound up having to carry half the bags from each pallet into the garage in order to get the pallet light enough for us to push it with the broken jack.

4000 lbs of carrying, bleeding hands, and 2 hours later, we got it all in. Needless to say I'm not carrying any bags Sunday!
:)

View attachment 1416521298656.jpg

Crazy, thanks for the effort.

Is anyone heading up from the Foxboro area? I am having scheduling issues on Sunday. If anyone could pick mine up, I would come to your house to get the grain and pay pickup gas.

Please PM me if you can help.

Thanks,
Derf

Anyone able to bring a scale with them? The only one I have with a capacity high enough to measure half a bag of grain would be a bathroom scale which rounds to the nearest pound.

I can bring our bathroom scales which read to .1 lb. Even if to the lb is good enough, it's better to have several scales to make dividing quicker.

Hey everyone thanks for pitching in to make the buy a success once again. It was great that many of you brought some beers for Blake. Also I wanted to thank Gary for taking over the splits and making sure that the order went smoothly.

If everyone could take a minute to fill out an iTrader comment for myself and aslander that would be awesome. I will make sure that I return the favor.

Yup.. Great buy! Thanks again..

Yeah thanks for the beers everyone!! I'll be sure to track down and give feedback to those that gave me homebrews :)

And thanks to Donovan for putting in all the effort to get this train rolling. The buys have become a well oiled machine and a perfect example of how to run them. Definitely leave feedback for him.

-Blake

Sorry to hear of all the troubles Aslander. You and Crazyirishman are great for doing this. Thank you for all your work organizing, ordering, planning, carrying, and well everything. I was always worried about getting into a group buy, but you guys really have it down to a science. Thanks again for everything.

Wstbrewing

Hey everyone thanks for pitching in to make the buy a success once again. It was great that many of you brought some beers for Blake. Also I wanted to thank Gary for taking over the splits and making sure that the order went smoothly.

If everyone could take a minute to fill out an iTrader comment for myself and aslander that would be awesome. I will make sure that I return the favor.

How do you leave an iTrader comment?

Thanks,
Derf

Well guys and gals it looks like because I am no longer a supporting member I can't post Group Buys anymore. I have no plans on paying to use HBT any longer. If folks feel like they would like to continue the buys feel free to donate a HBT membership to me.

Really? That's too bad, especially considering the sticky detailing the rules in the group buy section doesn't mention anything about that. I'd be willing to throw in a few bucks toward a lifetime membership.

Yeah I sent a PM to txbrew he said it is because of security issues. But I really think it is to be nickel and dime everyone. They even charge you $50 a month to link your kickstarter in your signature.

Latest posts

Back