Noob's first brew questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shawmerrill

Reaction score
I was given a hefeweizen craft brew kit as a gift. Dove right in.

1) during the boil I lost close to half the water volume. Was forced to add significant amount of filtered water after boil. I assume this is expected.
2) I failed to get hops in for full allotted time. What effect will this have?
3) for first 24 to 48 hours in carboy it has me to run a hose from carboy stopper to glass of water for CO2 release. Is this step necessary or just for show prior to installing the airlock?
4) since the kit has no provided tools to test final gravity, is there another way to know for sure when it's safe to start bottling?
5) kit also doesn't state how long to store or how to store in bottles prior to enjoyment. So how long in bottle before refrigeration and how long before popping the first top?

I have been craft beer lover for long time. Making my first batch may have created a monster.

Ok 1- you will always loose volume. Not that big of a deal.as long as you top to desired amount.
2- The only thing that can happen is less bettering if it was your first hop addition. In a Heff not that big of a deal.
3- The hose is a blow off, instead of the air lock method. I would recommend a larger container, pitcher or something. Quarter full of water, if you have sanitizer it is best to use some type of liquid that will not hold infection.
4- there is not really any way to test after unless you have a refractometer, no worry's should be around 4-5%
5- Standard is about two weeks in primary, with another two weeks resting, you can transfer to secondary but you don't have to.
After bottling it will take about two weeks to carb.

Set a 6 pack back and save for a few months. These will be your fav bottles, you get excited to drink you beer and it is gone about the time it is mature and really evens out.

Check out thehomebrewery.com there kits are great and info pack is detailed. Have fun and don't stress, Sanitation is the key. Also buy a Hydrometer and test tube before next brew that way you can check Gravity (ABV)

So I take it I can eliminate the hose to jug of water step if I have an airlock?

Regarding carbonation, I would rather use honey than table sugar solely due to taste reasons. From what I have read I don't see any drawbacks. But I don't want explosive bottles. Experienced this years ago making root beer with kids.

1) How did you lose half the water volume ? Did you have a thermometer to check the temperature of the boil at various stages ? How long did you boil ? Average evaporation rate of the wort can be between 8%-13% per hour of the wort boil depending on the gas BTU, type etc.

4) You also need to get a hydrometer or a refractometer. It is a crucial little investment that will pay off every time and as long as you brew.

So I take it I can eliminate the hose to jug of water step if I have an airlock?

Theoretically Yes -

its just depending on the size of your fermenter. The reason they have "tube to the water" is for blow off(extremely high krausen). If you have a big enough fermenter and sure the krausen wont blow out the airlock your all set. IF not keep the tube and water so you dont end up with a big gunky mess all over your femermenter and ground.

Well first batch was not a failure but not a huge success either. The good news all the bottles got drank. THanks for the responses. Batch #2 this weekend.

What will batch 2 be?

Did you buy a hydrometer? I keep an extra on hand as you'll eventually break it. Same with the floating thermometers.

Batch #2 will be a one gallon all grain amber ale. No i do not yet have a hyrdrometer. My wife saw how much i have already been spending on equipment so i will wait a few days.....lol

I also got my first 5 gallon extract kit for a porter that will be 3rd batch

Well I can help whit the wife. image.jpg
At least you haven't spent this much and taken over the entire basement.

If you're getting 50% boil off,your heat's too high. Turn it down to a gently rolling boil. Put the bittering hops in,then start the timer for 1 hour. Using a blow off rig during initial fermentation can stop messes all over everything when the lid explodes or launches the airlock into the ceiling. And definitely get a hydrometer to know OG & FG. then you'll know for sure when it's done & your ABV%. When the beer gets bottled,3 weeks at 70F or better is the norm for carbonation & conditioning. Then a week in the fridge to allow any chill haze to form & settle & get co2 into solution well.

Batch #2 Amber Ale is drinkable but still far from good in my opinion. Wifey says i am my harshest critic to which my response is "and i should be".

ANyway, both my 1st and 2nd batches had similar characteristics of being too thin and very little mouthfeel in my opinion. Good head on the 2nd batch and nice color but just missing something. I have questioned my ability to ferment at proper temp as its hot here in Texas, so i am putting together a chest freezer with temp controller this weekend to combat that part of it. But i am also confused a little about bottling carbonation time. I see alot of folks say 2-3 weeks minimum at 70°+. Honestly niether time did i wait that long. Typically one week at 70°+ and then another week fridged cold. When i say 70°+ its probably more like 75-77°. I dont want bottle bombs so i was concerned at the higher temps that would happen sooner than if at a cooler temp. Again, carbonation was FINE on last batch so a week seemed sufficient to achieve but the beer was just thin and watery it seemed. OK so end of the ramble and now to the question, does fermentation temp or bottle carb temp have anything to do with my issue of no mouthfeel and watery thin beer or is this attributable to something else?

Batch #3, a 5gal porter, is cold crashing and awaiting bottling............

I cannot say that it doesn't effect the mouthfeel, but I've not heard that it can.

You really need to give your beer more conditioning time. It's not only about proper carbonation but the melding of the flavors. I'm not sure if that may have a part in your perception of improper mouthfeel.

No worries that I'm aware of with mid-high 70's turning conditioning bottles into bottle bombs. Mine sit around 74* for 3-4 weeks.

I know I am a little late for this but which one of you lives in burleson tx? I am in burleson and have been looking for someone to brew with

Back