noobs and their bothersome questions..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlyinkibbleZ

Reaction score
so i got to thinking today....i am new to this forum, but not new to forums in general and i started wondering what would happen if every person who came online was somehow blocked from asking a question or something similar that had been asked before...

i mean, i will admit i have more than one time shrugged off an excited and eager newbie when they asked some question that i felt was dumb, simple, or simply had been asked one too many times.

what i really thought was this....if no new question, or comment was ever asked again, how popular would this, or any other forum really be? if everyone simply had to just use the search utility, it wouldnt be a forum at all, just another search engine. we come here not only for the knowledge, because you can get that from google or wikipedia these days.

this just came to mind when on one of my aviation forums i went to send someone to a previous post that had answered his question, and felt like a jerk after, because the poor kid was just excited to be part of something that i too loved!

just beer for thought!! cheers guys and gals.

is my beer bad? should i dump it out, i pitched the yeast with my mouth becase i wanted to see what flavors the yeasted had.
should i mail it to you for testing or safe disposal?

yeah some people are just excited and that good and some people are just lazy minded

Then this thread wouldn't exist.

n00b!

OH Snap! :D
burn.jpg

is my beer bad? should i dump it out, i pitched the yeast with my mouth becase i wanted to see what flavors the yeasted had.
should i mail it to you for testing or safe disposal?

yeah some people are just excited and that good and some people are just lazy minded

hahahaha...oh im not saying there are stupid questions, i have my head chock full of them for you guys!! some people just deserve a good razzing once in a while. i was just drinkin a couple too many beers, and for some reason felt bad cause i was being a d!ck to some new guy that didnt really deserve it on another forum i am on...so it got me thinking.

Yuri_Rage said:
Then this thread wouldn't exist.

n00b!
touche :mug:

i'm one of those newbies kibblez. actually this is my first time in this sub-forum.

one of the biggest reasons i like these forums is that when a repeat question is asked, no one's an ass and no one posts the previous threads where the same question has been asked. they just answer the question and give the absolute most help that they can give. it's always interactive, completely newbie-friendly, and eventually you just find yourself doing the same thing, helping people with every question you know the answer to, no matter how many times you have to say it.

absolute :mug:

i'm one of those newbies kibblez. actually this is my first time in this sub-forum.

one of the biggest reasons i like these forums is that when a repeat question is asked, no one's an ass and no one posts the previous threads where the same question has been asked. they just answer the question and give the absolute most help that they can give. it's always interactive, completely newbie-friendly, and eventually you just find yourself doing the same thing, helping people with every question you know the answer to, no matter how many times you have to say it.

absolute :mug:

What you mean some thing like this?
stfu.jpg

And then being told you use the damn search button!

No No No, people around here are very polite and kinda forgiving to n00b mistakes, as long as you are not an ass about it.

Yooper, Yuri, Revvy olllllo, BeirMuncher, EdWort, bradsul and several others are great!

-Jason

. . . and no one posts the previous threads where the same question has been asked. they just answer the question and give the absolute most help that they can give.
What's so bad about posting a link to a previous thread? It's probably the best way to help the noob. The first few times a topic comes up it receives a lot of attention and in depth discussion. Upon rehash posters get bored and details may get left out. No point in getting rude, but posting links is just another way to help.

I sometimes point out that if they scroll to the bottom of the page they will see other posts with the same question. It is not to be mean but often the question has been discussed at length in other posts that can be helpful.

Without redundant questions, forums would die. I'm on rv.net and you would not believe the number of people that ask the same questions about batteries every week. And people still answer them.

At the other end of the spectrum are the people with unique questions about unique equipment, who get upset because no one has rigidly documented answers. As in: No, we don't know exactly how many minutes your Yamaha 6500 generator can run your 12,000 btu and your 13,500 btu a/c units at 105F with 72% sun exposure and a 14 knot wind north bu northwest maintaining 67.5F inside a 43-foot ...

Good point Nurmey. I like the "Similar Threads" feature. But often miss it. When I do think of it though it is always helpful. Usually get sidetracked with some other aspect of the topic I start with.

This sounds like the Robot 9000 concept. Look into it: ROBOT9000 and #xkcd-signal: Attacking Noise in Chat « xkcd

The point was to make an IRC channel promote healthy conversation. Initiating a ban if you ever said a block of text that had been said before. It avoids internet memes and links from being posted as well as making sure every thing stated had some unique value above a statement of "lol" or something.

Its not hard, there are so many combination of words in the English language it would be very difficult to ever use them all.

Oh man if I put that Robot9000 to work in the chat it would be rendered unusable within 12 hours, max. We drunkards do love to spout off.

KibbleZ,

What ya flying these days? We have a lot of pilots on this forum.

ive noticed that there seems to be quite a few pilots on the forum. right now im flying just king airs mostly. SIC in a CJ. still building hours, hopefully upgrade one of these days.

your profile said you fly..you do this professionally or just for fun, what planes are you out driving around?

ive noticed that there seems to be quite a few pilots on the forum. right now im flying just king airs mostly. SIC in a CJ. still building hours, hopefully upgrade one of these days.

your profile said you fly..you do this professionally or just for fun, what planes are you out driving around?

I am a captain, type rated on the EMB170/175 and the EMB190/195

I log about 700 hours a year in the EMBs

I have a little PIC time in the BE100 and BE200 from the charter outfit I worked for back in the day. I love the 200.

That is awesome you guys are pilots, I have logged over 200 hours on Flight Simulator 2002. I love the EMB's, one of the most fun planes to ride. Sadly my next trip is on a GRJ (Bombardier)

My two cents on the noobs questions. It gets a little redundant answering the same questions but that is how this all started. I'm sure that Yooper, Deathbrewer, Yuri, and Revvy get tired of seeing the same questions and often just add links. But remember the days when you had questions and Revvy helped you out, now you are doing that for somebody else, who does it for somebody else. I am a teacher and a strong believer that when you explain something to sombody you understand it more and have an easier time remembering it.

A lot of noobs get confused on the search tool and find it easier just to ask the questions. It would be nice if the mods could go though and delete many of the really old threads that are probably taking up valuable server/hardisk space.

That is awesome you guys are pilots, I have logged over 200 hours on Flight Simulator 2002. I love the EMB's, one of the most fun planes to ride. Sadly my next trip is on a GRJ (Bombardier)

Yah the CRJs blow. The EMB has a wicked advanced flight deck too. The most difficult part of flying it, is managing all of the automation, REALLY!

I used to fly FS... but now I relish every moment OUTside the flight deck.

I am a captain, type rated on the EMB170/175 and the EMB190/195

I log about 700 hours a year in the EMBs

I have a little PIC time in the BE100 and BE200 from the charter outfit I worked for back in the day. I love the 200.

our charter company operates basically all the King Air models, and i agree the B200 is one of the most fun. I would love to fly a bigger aircraft, but since i chose to pursue corporate, i dont think i will get into anything that big. my best friend owns the charter company, so i will probably be there as long as its around. the biggest thing i will sit probably ever sit in the left seat in is an XLS...i keep my fingers crossed that one of our owners will but a G550 one of these days.

(is it wrong to thread jack a thread you started?? :cross:)

Meh, I figure it is your thread... you can do what you want.

On that note. I never sent out to fly for a living, then I set out to fly freight, then I gave that up and ended up at the airline 6 years ago... I never meant for any of this to happen, but it did, and I love it.

Seems reasonable that pilots are interested in homebrew. I think they could save more money than the average person.

Bad jokes aside, I have noticed that some regular members have cut back responding to the common questions. Searching takes time and effort. Asking the same question over again is easier, and you know you're getting the latest ideas and answers.

And sometimes people ask questions just because getting a response makes them feel wanted.

Frankly, I'm all for it. As long as the question is not posted on the first or second page of the forum, I can see how many people would want to post it new again.

I'm a noob and I really appreciate the noob corner here. I now know that I'm not alone :mug:

(also, count me in on the pilot check in on noob answers slot...even though I'm just a student puttering about in a C182. I'll be in the company Turbo Commanders soon enough :rockin:)

awesome!! thats how i got my start. seems like in the corporate world its all about who you know. i was extremely fortunate to become best friends with our chief pilot. it allowed me to build my time without having to instruct. i had more multi turbine time then single engine by time i took my instrument checkride!!

good luck with all your training! i might get shunned for saying this, but i think flying is more addicting then brewing beer, if anyone can believe that!

Back