Noob Yeast Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampdog

Reaction score
Is it possible to pitch too much yeast???? If so, what are the risks?? I'm shell shocked over my recent Scotch Ale fusel alcohol disaster (Which I am convinced resulted from an under pitch) and would like to throw in a ton of yeast next time around.

Thanks,
John

swampdog said:
Is it possible to pitch too much yeast???? If so, what are the risks?? I'm shell shocked over my recent Scotch Ale fusel alcohol disaster (Which I am convinced resulted from an under pitch) and would like throw in a ton of yeast next time around.

Thanks,
John

Yes it is possible and the result will be off flavors. But, this is very hard to do.

look here for the correct pitching rate:
http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

Doing a starter like the Wiki describes will be plenty of yeast for most beers.

swampdog said:
Is it possible to pitch too much yeast???? If so, what are the risks?? I'm shell shocked over my recent Scotch Ale fusel alcohol disaster (Which I am convinced resulted from an under pitch) and would like throw in a ton of yeast next time around.

Thanks,
John

Fusels are usually a product of fermentation temperature (too high) not underpitching. What was your fermentation temp and what yeast did you use?

Latest posts

Back