noob with hb, blessed with kegerator. questions-

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eggbeater59

Reaction score
hello all, i decided that i want to explore the world of homebrew.
i currently have a kegerator, have been using it for over a year now. nothing beats newcastle and boulevard wheat on tap :)

anyways, i've been doing some research, and since this is my first time brewing, i want to carbonate naturally in corney kegs. i'll try force carbing next batch.
i had a few questions
since i'm going to use natural carbonation, i'll have to toss priming sugar in the keg. after i do that, and slowly pour my beer in, i need to purge the o2 out with co2, right? what pressure should i set the co2 to? will 2 psi suffice?

after i unhook the keg from the co2 and begin conditioning, do i still let it do that at fermentation temp? or should i keep it in the fridge? i'm thinking in just want to treat it like bottles at this point, so back to the closest.

this is all i can think of right now, i'm sure i'll have more q's

hello all, i decided that i want to explore the world of homebrew.
i currently have a kegerator, have been using it for over a year now. nothing beats newcastle and boulevard wheat on tap :)

anyways, i've been doing some research, and since this is my first time brewing, i want to carbonate naturally in corney kegs. i'll try force carbing next batch.
i had a few questions
since i'm going to use natural carbonation, i'll have to toss priming sugar in the keg. after i do that, and slowly pour my beer in, i need to purge the o2 out with co2, right? what pressure should i set the co2 to? will 2 psi suffice?

after i unhook the keg from the co2 and begin conditioning, do i still let it do that at fermentation temp? or should i keep it in the fridge? i'm thinking in just want to treat it like bottles at this point, so back to the closest.

this is all i can think of right now, i'm sure i'll have more q's

Personally I use 30PSI just to be sure the lid seats, then I just tap the release valve a couple times to purge the O2 out.

Exactly, if you cool it down then the yeast will go dormant and just fall to the bottom without ever doing any carbing

well right, thats what i meant. i won't forget, aeration at this point = bad :)
calico, thats a very good reference. i'll be sure to reference it.
and dillin, thanks, thats exactly the info i'm looking for :rockin:

i'm reading how to brew by mr palmer, it has a ton of good info in it. honestly tho, i'm about halfway through and ready to jump in. wish me luck guys, i'll happily make a new thread detailing my experiences.

Latest posts

Back