Noob Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xraptorx

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am really new to the brewing beer and I am considering buying a Braumiester 20 Liter (5 galon) brewing set http://www.speidels-braumeister.de/product_info.php/info/p2_Braumeister-20-litres.html

It is an expensive investment but this setup can do it all, as I understand it. :drunk:

My question is about the fermentation period and the maturing period with brewing. The fermentation can take up to 7 days and maturing another 20 days or even longer. During these periods the batch should typically be kept in a temperature controlled environment, right?
I live in Switzerland and have a basement, but controlling exact temperature is still not exactly 100% possible.

How do you guys control the temperature of the brew while it is fermenting and maturing? Is it really required or is there more tolerance in the temperature than explictly stated?

I use a wine fridge for my temp control.Temp control is very important during active fermentation and affects the amt. of esters and yeast derived flavors in the beer.
It is as important as even the ingredients in the beer to how it will taste.
You can do it with a temp controlled fridge,a bucket full of water with frozen water bottles added"swamp cooler" or a cool basement floor.

I actully just had a question ive been trying to find an answer to not to jack this thred but i dont want to start another. i understand temp control is important during active ferm but is it that important after the ferm compleats? I have a swamp cooler set up but only holds 2 ferms or carboys and i own about 7 total.

Cheers

Cory

Not as important as during the growth phase of the yeast.As long as you don't go over ~76F on an ale after fermentation is done,then it shouldn't matter that much in the final product.The most important thing is to pitch at or below the desired ferm temp and then try to hold as close as you can during active fermentation.I don't pitch warm.If you do then by the time you get it cooled down(if you ever do) the yeast has already added esters you do not want in the beer.

Back