Noob questions on 1st 2 Batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eric1489

Reaction score
First off I must say that I am addicted to his site. There is so much great info on here for a new brewer. And being that, I have lots of questions. I searched for answers to this but I could not find it anywhere. I'm sure it's there but I am looking in the wrong place. So I figured I would pose the question differently. After 2 brews in the bottles taking a nap I need to wrap my head around what happened.

Porter
SG 1.065 adjusted
FG 1.014 (kit estimated FG at 1.012) Pretty close

IPA
SG 1.062 adjusted
FG 1.018 (kit estimated 1.012) Not so bad either

I am having a hard time calculating ABV from this. Can someone walk me through how to calculate this? I think I got most of the sugars converted so I am not too concerned with bottle bombs. Please let me know if I am missing anything here. What a learning experience this was. I am definitely on board for another 100 batches. Many thanks in advance

go to recipator.com and plug in your recipes and it will tell you what your abv is. the other thing you can do thats pretty mundane and simple without using lots of math is to take your hyrdometer, look at the abv at the line where your og was, then take the abv at the line where your fg was, subtract, and thats what your actual abv is.

Back