Noob question -- LME vs DME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crash

Reaction score
I've brewed a half dozen NB extracts and they usually come with a small amount of specialty grains, 6#s of LME and some times a pound or 2 of DME. I'm thinking about buying a case or two of extract to keep on hand for starters and throwing spur of the moment brews toghther. The LME seems to be messier and potentially a shorter shelf life so I'm leaning toward DME. Will using only DME vs LMEmake a significant difference in the final product? :cross:

At the highest level of concern, both LME and DME do the same thing for your wort. However, DME is more concentrated than LME, so you have to adjust for that.

The equivalency factor is something pretty close to 0.8. meaning that you need about 0.8 times as much (by weight) DME as you do LME. 1/0.8 gives 1.25, so you would 1.25 times as much LME than DME in a given recipe.

My guess is that most recipe kits use DME to add some specific gravity to the brew above the LME volume, since those cans of LME do not come in a variety of sizes.

With that said, different DME's and LME's have somewhat different flavors, depending on the ingredients behind the extract.

Been considering doing an all DME recipe myself (mostly because it's slightly cheaper at my local HB supply source) and was curious about the flavor difference myself.... I think my next batch will be all DME with some specialty grains thrown in for good measure.....

So far I really can't argue with the previous comments.

The ratio is like this: 1 lb grain = .75 lb of LME = .6 lb DME.

IMO using DME will give you a better product over LME in that it will eliminate the extract twang and help produce a lighter colored brew when using the Late Addition method.

LME will always be darker than DME and DME lasts longer.

Here's a pic of a brew I made using ALL DME and the LA method. All the little "spots" in the brew are carbonation bubbles.

P1080797-00.jpg

Looks great! I've got some extra DME and Argentine Cascade; I'm thinking of doing a light golden using 4#'s of Briess Pilsen with 2-3#'s of honey disolved in the last gallon and a half of water added to the primary. Hoping to get a good lawn mower beer out of these extra ingredients. Never heard of Argentine Cascade before, but saw them cheap on NB's website and was curious.:mug: This is just the kind of think I want to keep some LME around for.

Back