Local shop did not have Munich DME, only LME. How will this change my beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PivaBrewing

Reaction score
Hi all, this is my first post so please bear with me. I plan on brewing this weekend which will be my 6th batch so I would still consider myself a newbie.
I recently picked up the latest edition of John Palmer's "How to Brew" as I was trying to learn more about the process and so far, the book has been extremely helpful. I decided to brew his Rushmore IPA, it's a recipe that he included in the book. I just returned from the local supply shop and the guy did not have Munich DME, only LME. The recipe calls for 6lb of Pale Ale DME and 1 LB of Munich DME but since he did not have Munich DME he suggested I substitute with 3LB of Munich LME (only packaging he had) and take away 2LB of Pale Ale DME. In terms of fermentables he said I should be good but he was not sure what that would do to the taste and how different the IPA would taste from the original recipe.

Original recipe:

6LB DME Pale Ale
1LB DME Munich
.5 Caramel Crystal 40L (steep)

Modified:
4LB DME Pale Ale
3LB LME Munich
.5 Caramel Crystal 40L

Some additional info. I just recently bought a 8 gallon brew kettle so I will be attempting a full volume boil for the first time and I planned to add most of the extract towards the end of the boil, last 15 minutes.

Just looking for some input. I'm really looking for a hoppy, juicy IPA but I'd rather drive an hour to a different shop to get the 1LB DME Munich if I need to.

thanks all!

Some thoughts.
Increasing the Munich by 3x and reducing the Pale, it will end up much darker beer, no longer pale, I would guess a dark amber. I would either try to use half of the Munich LME and save half for later, or add it all, and keep all the pale too. That will increase the ABV, but not darken it as much.
Wort concentration changes hopping rates. Keep that in mind if you have a kit that has hops for a strong wort that is diluted after the boil, the hopping won't be the same as a full volume boil. As I recall the concentrated wort extracts more bitterness than a more dilute wort, but it's been a long time since I brewed with DME or LME.
Getting a juicy beer is not easy; it normally involves the right water chemistry, lots of hops in the dry hop, and no ingress of oxygen after the yeast is pitched; but who knows you might get lucky.

Some thoughts.
Increasing the Munich by 3x and reducing the Pale, it will end up much darker beer, no longer pale, I would guess a dark amber. I would either try to use half of the Munich LME and save half for later, or add it all, and keep all the pale too. That will increase the ABV, but not darken it as much.
Wort concentration changes hopping rates. Keep that in mind if you have a kit that has hops for a strong wort that is diluted after the boil, the hopping won't be the same as a full volume boil. As I recall the concentrated wort extracts more bitterness than a more dilute wort, but it's been a long time since I brewed with DME or LME.
Getting a juicy beer is not easy; it normally involves the right water chemistry, lots of hops in the dry hop, and no ingress of oxygen after the yeast is pitched; but who knows you might get lucky.
Thank you. I did take into consideration the hop utilization and adjusted the recipe using Brewer's Friend recipe creator. To get the same or similar IBU with a full volume boil, I had to basically use only half of the bittering hops. I purchased a keg and will dry hop in the keg so hopefully I can keep most of the oxygen out.

I don't think it's a large difference, but worth noting.
I think the best advice I can give is to take notes on brew day, fermentation and kegging/bottling so you can figure out (and remember) what works (and didn't) for you and your setup.
Kegs are great for keeping oxygen out, I think it's a necessity if you go down the Juicy NEIPA rabbit hole.
Post how it turns out here. Good Luck

Back