Noob question about Step One

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carsonigen

Reaction score
So I just started my batch of wine. My kit from the LHBS came with star san AND, as an add-on, step one cleanser. I didn't know which one to use, so I went with step one. It said no need to rinse, so I didn't dry with a paper towel. Instead I just shook off the excess solution.

Will I be alright?

What do you think the chances are the batch could go bad? BTW this is brand new equipment, or does that even matter?...

I'd say pretty low. If you let the equipment soak a bit you should be fine. Everything you used before boiling your worth do not really need to be sanitized,just cleaned. Once the yeast comes into play, that's where you should worry. Put some sanitizer in a spray bottle and spray everything that will touch yeast and wort. And once you pitch in the yeast, unless you have a HUGE infection, the yeast will overpower pretty much anything.

You should clean first, then sanitize.
The wine will probably not be affected adversely by missing the sanitizer, especially if you added sulfites to it in the fermenter a day before the yeast

I've made several batchs of wine with One-Step cleanser only with no problems. I occasionally rinse with hot water, or wipe with the inside surface (toward the roll) of a paper towel because I sometimes cringe at the thought of tasting One-Step or having it mingle with my 'jingle juice'. Couple of years ago I heard about using vodka (because it's cheap) and still have appx. 1/2 gallon. Sometimes I use One-Step, sometimes vodka (I'm a woman, it's my perogative).
I'm a bit surprised about all the talk of infection on the beer threads since alcohol itself is a disinfectant.
Considering your moniker, I'd say you're more than alright.

I'm a bit surprised about all the talk of infection on the beer threads since alcohol itself is a disinfectant.
Your biggest risk of infection comes between the moment you are cooling down your wort to when your yeast colony fully settled in the fermenter. You will most likely have an infection, no matter what you do. But the yeast will overpower it easily. Problems comes if the infection overpowers the yeast.

Update: It's been almost been 2 weeks and I have not seen any infection AFAIK. However, there's no bubbling activity in the airlock unless I move the fermenter bucket in a circle. Is that normal? Oh, and I didn't measure the OG (The hydrometer hit the bottom of the bucket, I could've used the included beaker). Can I still benefit from knowing what the FG is, when I measure it in 2 days?

Last edited:
So I just started my batch of wine. My kit from the LHBS came with star san AND, as an add-on, step one cleanser. I didn't know which one to use, so I went with step one. It said no need to rinse, so I didn't dry with a paper towel. Instead I just shook off the excess solution.

Will I be alright?
You start with Step one cleaner to remove any solid objects ( not sure if it's no rinse cleaner) then santize anything comes in contact with your must.

Update: FG was .992, instructions said it needs to be below .996...

I have successfully racked it and is currently in it's stabilizing/clearing stage.
Thanks again to everyone for the advice.

Back