Noob Mistake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BNolt17

Reaction score
Long story short, I read my strike temp as my mash temp and just did a 60 minute mash on a Scottish Ale at 163 degrees. I know I will get some unfermentables and a very sweet beer. Should I add some sugar or honey to this to try and dry it out or just let it ride? I never made this recipe before so I'm not sure what to expect but I hope to end up with something that is at least drinkable.

Adding fermentables at this point will just get you more alcohol and won't do much to affect the sweetness (unless you are willing to try a brett or lacto strain).

let it ride. It'll be fine.

It'll be fine, it'll just be different. I've mashed that high due to a bad thermometer and enjoyed the end product.

Interesting read at brulosophy on mash temps although you are slightly higher than their beerxperiment. It made me not worry as much. Hope it will for you too.

Thanks all for the reassurance. I added a little corn sugar as it was an AG kit that came with it, but I keg so I won't need it. OG was right where it should be before I pitched last night. I'll update you in a few weeks.

It probably won't taste as good as it could, but it is fine to drink. Good luck!

I am afraid you denatured the enzymes that convert starch to sugar. Did your conversion test show a complete conversion at the end of your mash?

Nah, alpha amylase denatures in the upper 160s, as it approaches 170F. Optimal temperature for it per BYO is 158F (range is 150 through mid 160s), so he was a bit above that, but not so high as to denature the enzyme. He still had a successful mash, and even though he will have some longer chain sugars that leave some residual sweetness, there would have been no problem with starch conversion.

He could always bottle it up when it is done fermenting and divide it up amongst us to sample so we can tell him if it was a bad idea or not.:D:ban:

Nah, alpha amylase denatures in the upper 160s, as it approaches 170F. Optimal temperature for it per BYO is 158F (range is 150 through mid 160s), so he was a bit above that, but not so high as to denature the enzyme. He still had a successful mash, and even though he will have some longer chain sugars that leave some residual sweetness, there would have been no problem with starch conversion.

Roger that.

Update....As expected it finished a little high at 1.022 (expected was 1.018) giving me a sweet 4.2% instead of a slightly sweet 4.9% Scottish Ale. Just kegged it and expect it to be alright. Maybe not exactly what I wanted, but definitely not as bad as it could have been. On to the next brew session.

I base a lot of my recipes off of the alchemist's relative bitterness ratios and BU:GU ratios. These are relative numbers that represent what the bitterness should be when compared to alcohol content per each style. Here's the link to what i reference in most of my recipes.

You could enter the new mash into beersmith and get the new predicted FG based on the mash temp. From there i'd figure out how it threw off my ratios and would probably have to add or subtract bitterness based on how it will throw off my FG.

That's what my concern would be had i made the same mistake, but if I had too many i'd probably just let it ride :mug:

EDIT: aaand womp i'm too late. I'm sure it will be fine, cheers!

Last edited:
You will probably find that once carbonated (you said you just kegged it, right - so I assume you are force-carb'ing in keg) the carbonation will further mitigate the perceived sweetness. You will probably be pleasantly surprised.
To quote the Godfather: "Don't worry. Relax, and have a homebrew".
It will be just fine.

Latest posts

Back