Noob hydrometer question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powerpunk5000

Reaction score
Took my starting and final gravity
Starting was 1.035 and after 12 days in primary it sits about a 1.015 which is only about 2.6%

For one I'm not sure if I'm reading the hydrometer right so I'll post pictures

And for another due to my calculations I should be coming out a little over 5% due to my recipe even with bad efficiency

1lbs 2 row
1lbs flaked wheat

1 gallon of held at 150-160 for 1 hr

6.6 lbs brewers best wheat liquid malt extract
20190324_173426_HDR.jpg
20190405_163430_HDR.jpg

The current reading looks to be about 1.007, which would put you around 3.7% ABV.

I'm seeing 1.036 and 1.007. I'm curious how you calculated the 5% ABV. With a starting gravity of 1.036 I don't think you can get to 5% without your final gravity dropping below 1.000.

The final ABV of the finished beer depends on several factors. Two factors to take into account should be the fermentability of the wort and estimated attenuation level of your chosen yeast.
If this wort started at 1.035 and had healthy yeast capable of at least 75% attenuation you'd be looking at a beer with approximate minimum of 2.8% ABV or higher. In reality it's more like 3.2% or a bit higher, but not 5% or more.
It wouldn't hurt to let it ferment a week longer and check your gravity again - just in case the grains added into the partial mash didn't quite convert well. From my experience LME/DME has a high fermentability but can leave a greater amount of unfermented dextrins or sugars a well-converted all grain wort will not, so if you're doing a proper partial mash with 2-row or malted wheat you should see a better conversion with the grain portion.

Last edited:
The final ABV of the finished beer depends on several factors. Two factors to take into account should be the fermentability of the wort and estimated attenuation level of your chosen yeast.
If this wort started at 1.035 and had healthy yeast capable of at least 75% attenuation you'd be looking at a beer with approximate minimum of 2.8% ABV or higher. In reality it's more like 3.2% or a bit higher, but not 5% or more.
It wouldn't hurt to let it ferment a week longer and check your gravity again - just in case the grains added into the partial mash didn't quite convert well. From my experience LME/DME has a high fermentability but can leave a greater amount of unfermented dextrins or sugars a well-converted all grain wort will not, so if you're doing a proper partial mash with 2-row or malted wheat you should see a better conversion with the grain portion.
Well i thought with just the 6.6 lbs of lme that id be around 4-5 with safeale us06

So its been a few more days and i took another gravity reading and got a higher final gravity

Attachments

• 20190408_135152_HDR.jpg
    20190408_135152_HDR.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 61
Hmmm...odd...gravity should not increase without adding sugars. Are these two reading at the same temp (at least close)? I am not sure if the hydrometer pushed against the side would cause an off reading.

Took my starting and final gravity
Starting was 1.035 and after 12 days in primary it sits about a 1.015 which is only about 2.6%

For one I'm not sure if I'm reading the hydrometer right so I'll post pictures

And for another due to my calculations I should be coming out a little over 5% due to my recipe even with bad efficiency

1lbs 2 row
1lbs flaked wheat

1 gallon of held at 150-160 for 1 hr

6.6 lbs brewers best wheat liquid malt extractView attachment 620634 View attachment 620635
Is this for 5 gallons? Did you add 6.6 lbs of lme? If yes to both, your og is low because of not fully mixing the lme. Happens all the time. If your gravity stays where it is for 2 or 3 days, package and carbonate.

...my 2 cents...

Hydrometers must be floating with no restrictions (not touching the side) to get accurate readings. Make sure you give it a good spin too to make sure there are no bubbles stuck to it which might give a false reading also.

Is this for 5 gallons? Did you add 6.6 lbs of lme? If yes to both, your og is low because of not fully mixing the lme. Happens all the time. If your gravity stays where it is for 2 or 3 days, package and carbonate.
...my 2 cents...
How to you thoroughly mix the LME?

How to you thoroughly mix the LME?

Usually with extracts you are adding water to top up after the boil. That is where you really get stratification. You need to stir it well to get the denser layer of wort to mix well with the water. If not, a sample taken off the bottom will read high and a sample off the top will read low.

If you are not topping up you still might get stratification, with the LME making the bottom thicker. Same, bottom will read high - top will read low.

The basic formula used by most homebrewers is pretty simple: ABV = (OG - FG) * 131.25. ABV = alcohol by volume, OG = original gravity, and FG = final gravity. So, using this formula with a beer having an OG of 1.055 and a FG of 1.015, your ABVwould be 5.25%.

Back