Noob Dry Hop/Kegging question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alby44

Reaction score
This past Friday, I recently completed a clone beer that probably got me into this hobby initially....Pliny The Elder. Was hoping for some suggestions on your dry hopping of IPAs (or DIPA).

My plan is to keg the beer (my second kegging experience so far), and I was curious if its better to dry hop in the primary or transfer to keg and dry hop from there. I'm concerned about the hop sediment getting sucked into the tube so may go with primary.

I guess the real question is any have found a substantial taste/aroma difference in the primary vs. keg options.

Any insight is most appreciated as I have high expectations for this beer. OG was on point at 1.070-72, so I am making it a point to get the best possible experience from this batch:mug:

Thanks!

I dry hop in the keg, but I can't say I've noticed a substantial difference in dry hopping in the keg vs. primary.

My process is to use a hop bag to avoid the hop sediment issue and to let the keg sit with the hop bag in it for 7 days (or whatever the recipe calls for) at room temperature. I then remove the hop bag, chill the keg and carb it up.

Similar to Easterbrook, I use a muslin bag, put my hops (pellet, leaf, whatever) in and tie it to the dip tube before transferring the beer. I like to have the bag hang 3-4" above the bottom of the keg, and will leave it in the keg until it kicks. I do see an increase in aroma as the keg ages but it tends to become asymptotic after about a week. I have not dry hopped in the fermenters for a very long time and can't remember what it was like. What varieties are you dry hopping with? Just curious. Kyle

Thanks for the feedback....so assuming I dry hop from the keg (again this being my first time), can I assume that you transfer from primary, then drop in the hops. Do you pressurize the keg at that point, or wait the standard 5-7 period of dry hop, then crash/pressurize from there?

Thanks!

As soon as I put in the hops I transfer from the fermenter, hook up the CO2 and put it in the kegerator. Others will hit it with CO2 to purge any oxygen and then wait the dry-hop period before carbonating and crashing. My way is easier, the other way is more accurate.

The only reason I put the hop sack in first is because it's easier to tie it to the dip tube with no beer inside. Otherwise you're putting an arm in your brand new beer....which is a little gross, depending on where that arm has been. ;) Kyle

I agree, dry hop in the keg. After experimenting with dry hopping in primary, secondary and keg, the latter (dry hops in the keg) is all I do now. Nothing else gives me so much face-punch with so little hops. I don't see any reason to wait on carbonating. Attach the CO2 right away. It won't impact the dry hop process.

Back