Noob brewer from Central IL

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamison

Reaction score
I brewed by 1st batch today! I am attempting a Strong Dark Belgian (extract with grains, OG 1.09). So far so good. Brew day went extremely well. Narrowly averted a boil over when the UPS guys showed right after I added my LME. I made a big yeast starter and It is really taking off. I can hear it burping like crazy in the basement below me right now. When I got home from work (2nd shift) the air lock had blown off. It couldn't have been off for long as my wife checked on it a few hours before and the krausen had barely made it down neck. I have a blow off hose in it now. I kind of expected this might happen with this big of a beer. Didn't think it would take off so fast though. My basement temp is 67. Should I be worried about any contamination? I figure it might be hard for any nasties to get in, with the krausen being forced out?
Anyway I am really enjoying this website. It has answered a lot of questions for me already. I have been looking for a new hobby and I certainly think I have found it. This is something I could really get into.
:mug:

Wow, Congrats on your first brew. That is quite the brew to come out of the gate with. As far as the krausen, you might want to consider a blowoff tube. There are lots of great threads about on the forum.

Let us know how it turns out!

Good to see another Peoria brewer on here. I wouldn't worry about the airlock blowout, you can't do much about it now and you have the blow off attached so you're good to go. In my experience, as long as the CO2 and Krausen were venting and you can attach a blowoff tube before it dies down you're unlikely to have picked up any containments of significant quantities. Also remember that your yeast is already overwhelming the wort so if anything did find its way into your wort it would be unlikely that it could take hold and infect your beer. As early as twenty five years ago, from my understanding, people used to just drape a towel over the top of the fermenter, and they managed to make good beer, so you're fine.

Hey kammee, that's what I was hoping to hear. I actually live closer to Galesburg, but I do get to Peoria quite often. If you didn't know already Galesburg has a pretty good home brew shop. It's called Something's Brewn. Check them out if you ever get up here. I also recommend Budde's Pizza and Spirits right next door. They have great pizza and a good selection of craft beer too.
That Jalepeno Rasperry Blonde Ale you made sounds very interesting. I would like to hear about that.

The Jalapeño Raspberry is really good, much better than I expected. I had a friend in town who thought the idea sounded good, kind of a play on a type of Jalapeño Popper she had once so I cooked it up that weekend and its been a hit. If you want a bottle and are in the area I'd be happy to get it to you. I don't make it to Galesburg very often, but I've been meaning to get over there and check out the homebrew shop. Its not too far away, so I may have to run over some time soon and pick up stuff for an AG batch. Just fixed up a mash tun this afternoon.

Latest posts

Back