Noob airlock question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uber

Reaction score
Brewed my first batch 2 weeks ago and had to dump the sanitize solution out in the airlock due to fruit flies. I cleaned and refilled the airlock and its now cloudy. Do I need to refill the airlock or am I fine?

I've had the same problem, did the same thing, beer turned out fine.

If you really want to be double sure, refill the airlock with cheap vodka.

Bah! Let it be. Clarity is not important for the solution to be effective. It's the pH. And it should surely be fine (unless you have some awkward water issues). Try not to over think it. If you find you have an issue with infection, I would tell you to look every where else in your process before turning to the airlock. I have buckets that the lids do not seal properly and I do not get any airlock activity at all, and the beer is always fine. Your starsan could be sucked into your brew due to temperature drops, but that is no reason for concern as it is a no rinse sanitizer. Just keep the proper dilution of 1oz starsan to 5gallons of water and it will do the rest. RDWGAHB Cheers!

Get some different water for your Starsan. Some chemistries will cloud the Starsan.

If you can measure the PH and it is below 3.0 you are covered.

Back