Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer None More Black Vanilla Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had my first one of these after getting back from vacation two weeks ago and it was OK. The bourbon flavor was fairly strong and masked most of the vanilla. I had another last night and the bourbon had mellowed a bit and the vanilla came through better. I'll keep sampling and take notes.

I'd like to have some homebrew on hand for Labor Day and I'm not sure how these will taste. They will have been in bottles for 2 months by then. From what I've read, it sounds like the vanilla taste might be gone by then. I'm going to be making some Centennial Blonde this weekend, so that should probably be ready by then if it seems like the vanilla flavor is starting to fade on this.

It does seem to be a bit undercarbed though. I used an online calculator to try to get to 2.2 volumes and it definitely isn't to that point, at least not yet. It's been in the basement the whole time, so I might try moving it upstairs to see if that helps.

I had my first one of these after getting back from vacation two weeks ago and it was OK. The bourbon flavor was fairly strong and masked most of the vanilla. I had another last night and the bourbon had mellowed a bit and the vanilla came through better. I'll keep sampling and take notes.

I'd like to have some homebrew on hand for Labor Day and I'm not sure how these will taste. They will have been in bottles for 2 months by then. From what I've read, it sounds like the vanilla taste might be gone by then. I'm going to be making some Centennial Blonde this weekend, so that should probably be ready by then if it seems like the vanilla flavor is starting to fade on this.

It does seem to be a bit undercarbed though. I used an online calculator to try to get to 2.2 volumes and it definitely isn't to that point, at least not yet. It's been in the basement the whole time, so I might try moving it upstairs to see if that helps.

2.2 volumes isn't particularly high, I bottled at 2.4. You will not have lost the vanilla at 2 months. Mine still had vanilla flavor until I had my last bottle...at something like 5 months.

2.2 volumes isn't particularly high, I bottled at 2.4. You will not have lost the vanilla at 2 months. Mine still had vanilla flavor until I had my last bottle...at something like 5 months.

I wasn't sure how high to go. 2.2 looked like a good middle ground, but I'd definitely go higher next time.

Glad to hear that the vanilla sticks around that long. I soaked 3 whole beans and added 1 1/2 Tbsp at bottling for good measure. Now I need to get some other beer in the fridge so I don't drink it all up right away.

Going to try this today. It's my first brew ever. I hope I don't bungle it up.

Going to try this today. It's my first brew ever. I hope I don't bungle it up.
Good luck! As long as you're well prepared, you should be just fine.

Plus, as long as you follow good sanitation processes, this can be a fairly forgiving hobby/passion. You can read lots of stories about how people bungled things up and still ended up with good beer!

Thanks! I'm cleaning my wort chiller now.

Also do I need to crush the malt and barley in this photo?

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1407589497.780576.jpg

Thanks! I'm cleaning my wort chiller now.

Also do I need to crush the malt and barley in this photo?

View attachment 216588
Yes. If you don't, you won't get much of the benefit of steeping them. I always use the mill at my LHBS, but I've read at home you can use items such as a rolling pin to crush them. I imagine there are some threads on here than can give you some clear guidance on how to do it like how coarse/fine to crush them, etc.

Another method if the rolling pin is too slow/frustrating: plastic bag + rubber mallet.

Fermentation has appeared to stop. I started the wort last Saturday. So it's been bubbling for a week, would this pause be of concern?

I broke out the hydrometer today, as bubbling has stopped six days after putting in the fermenter.

OG 1.060
Today 1.019

Should I keep in the fermenter another week? pitch more yeast? Move to secondary?

Thanks in advance.

I broke out the hydrometer today, as bubbling has stopped six days after putting in the fermenter.

OG 1.060
Today 1.019

Should I keep in the fermenter another week? pitch more yeast? Move to secondary?

Thanks in advance.

Just let it sit there. Transfer to secondary after 2 weeks.

I am going to rack this to secondary, on Friday night, 1 day shy of 2 weeks (we have some plans for the weekend). I will be adding 4 fresh vanilla beans, plus 1/4 cup of my homemade bourbon vanilla extract... the new fresh beans are sitting in it now. As far as secondary temps, do I need to keep the secondary in the swamp cooler? My basement stays between 74-76 degrees.

After 2 months, my batch has taken on an almost smoky flavor. Nothing like the terrible Campfire beer I had a couple years ago, but it definitely has taken over as the main flavor right now.

I used 3 cut/scraped beans soaked in 1 c. of Jack Daniels for a week and then 1 1/2 tbsp of vanilla extract at bottling.

Any ideas as to what could be causing the smoky flavor?

Did you use black patent malt or unmalted barley? The one time I tried black patent in a beer I got a super smokey/charry taste. Reading other reviews the vanilla tends to vanish from the taste on this one.

Did you use black patent malt or unmalted barley? The one time I tried black patent in a beer I got a super smokey/charry taste. Reading other reviews the vanilla tends to vanish from the taste on this one.
Yes, I used black patent as per the instructions. I might cut it back a little next time.

I've heard various feedback on the vanilla fading. Some people say it is gone by two months. Another person responded to me saying that it was there at 5 months.

I suppose I should reread the recipe. The first time I made this my LHBS was without black malt so I made an emergency substitiution and liked it so much I never looked back.

After 2 months, my batch has taken on an almost smoky flavor. Nothing like the terrible Campfire beer I had a couple years ago, but it definitely has taken over as the main flavor right now.

I used 3 cut/scraped beans soaked in 1 c. of Jack Daniels for a week and then 1 1/2 tbsp of vanilla extract at bottling.

Any ideas as to what could be causing the smoky flavor?
Another two weeks in the bottle and the smoky flavor has mellowed out and let the vanilla come through. It is probably my favorite flavor profile so far!

Bottled today! Just have to bottle condition now. Can't wait to try this.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1410115085.651947.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1410115124.051201.jpg

Did anyone have success with this recipe?

Thanks

Check it outttttt. I think I finally got it about right. Tell me what you guys think =] Suggestions?

Type: All Grain
Date: 3/24/2009
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Brewer: JonBRout
Boil Size: 6.34 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (12.5 gal) and Igloo Cooler (10 Gal)
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 60.00
Taste Notes: ~2.5 Tablespoons Vanilla extract added to Secondary.
Sparge at 180ish?

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
8.88 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 66.84 %
2.88 lb Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 21.67 %
0.92 lb Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 6.89 %
0.61 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 4.60 %
0.52 oz Cluster [7.00 %] (60 min) Hops 13.0 IBU
0.70 oz Goldings, East Kent [4.00 %] (20 min) Hops 6.0 IBU
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.054 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.014 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.21 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.65 %
Bitterness: 19.0 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 43.1 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge Total Grain Weight: 13.29 lb
Sparge Water: 4.07 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

ouch, ok...So just dump the extract in? Should my infection paranoia, be put to bed?

Thnx for the tips
I just dumped mine in. It was a half-full bottle so I'm guessing there were some unruly characters in there, but everything turned out just fine.

ouch, ok...So just dump the extract in? Should my infection paranoia, be put to bed?

Thnx for the tips

Yup, vanilla extract is comprised, in large part, of alcohol. There is a bigger chance of you getting an infection from standing over the bucket/carboy, than adding vanilla extract.

I just dumped mine in. It was a half-full bottle so I'm guessing there were some unruly characters in there, but everything turned out just fine.

Yup, vanilla extract is comprised, in large part, of alcohol. There is a bigger chance of you getting an infection from standing over the bucket/carboy, than adding vanilla extract.

Awesome thanks!

I plan on doing the AG recipe on page 2 with vanilla beans but I can't find anywhere what the mash temp is.....is 152 good or should I hit it up to 155?

If you're looking at an OG of 1.054, and using Irish Ale, I'd mash at 154, at the lowest.

I'd also point out that the recipe won't be close to the extract version without some crystal malt.

Vanilla is pretty delicate, I don't think boiling it for any length of time is a good idea.

Every time I've added vanilla beans or cacao nibs to my beers, I just boil them with a tiny bit of water for a min or two to sanitize and toss them with the water in. Works great and the boiling helps release the flavors more than adding cold.

Alright this thread has convinced me - this'll be my next brew. Hopefully this weekend but if not then the next. Looking forward to it!

Every time I've added vanilla beans or cacao nibs to my beers, I just boil them with a tiny bit of water for a min or two to sanitize and toss them with the water in. Works great and the boiling helps release the flavors more than adding cold.

That's probably not enough time to be detrimental, but I'd still advocate not boiling. Not saying you shouldn't, just that I personally wouldn't.

However, I never add cocoa nibs or bean directly to the wort/beer, I always make a tincture/extract ahead of time.

Ive been playing around with the recipe from the first page and running it through beer smith and am looking for some input on a few thing but mash temperature specifically. Heres what ive got:

(BIAB/ Full volume boil in 15G Kettle w/no additional sparge)
-14lb Pale 2 row
-8oz Black Patent
-8oz Chocolate Malt
-4oz Roasted Barley
-1oz Cluster @ 60 Min
-1oz EKG @ 20 Min

60 minute boil, 7.5 gallons of water to start, appx. 6 gallons post boil, appx. 5 gallons to carboy
-2 sachs of rehydrated US04
-Will be adding about 2oz of Makers Mark soaked oak cubes and 2-3 vanilla beans after 2 weeks in primary and racking to secondary/ will taste until its where I want it and then bottling it.

1.078 OG
37.3 IBU
36.5 SRM
8% ABV

I took an educated guess on the amount of specialty malts but want the finished product to taste similar to the original recipe.

-Should I adjust any of the specialty malts because I increased the amount of base malts (pale 2 row)?
-What temperature should I mash at?

Ive been playing around with the recipe from the first page and running it through beer smith and am looking for some input on a few thing but mash temperature specifically. Heres what ive got:

-14lb Pale 2 row
-8oz Black Patent
-8oz Chocolate Malt
-4oz Roasted Barley
-1oz Cluster @ 60 Min
-1oz EKG @ 20 Min

60 minute boil, 7.5 gallons of water to start, appx. 6 gallons post boil, appx. 5 gallons to carboy
-Will be adding about 2oz of Makers Mark soaked oak cubes and 2-3 vanilla beans after 2 weeks in primary and racking to secondary/ will taste until its where I want it and then bottling it.

1.078 OG
37.3 IBU
36.5 SRM
8% ABV

I took an educated guess on the amount of specialty malts but want the finished product to taste similar to the original recipe.

-Should I adjust any of the specialty malts because I increased the amount of base malts (pale 2 row)?

An all-grain recipe would really need some crystal to be similar to the extract version. That said, the beer you have designed it so much bigger than the original that it's hard to gauge how to make it similar.

You are in RIS territory with your recipe, where the original is more Irish Extra Stout.

-14lb Pale 2 row
-8oz Black Patent
-8oz Chocolate Malt
-4oz Roasted Barley
-1oz Cluster @ 60 Min
-1oz EKG @ 20 Min

1.078 OG
37.3 IBU
36.5 SRM
8% ABV

Yeah I agree with the guy above. You should add like 1/2lb of crystal 40 or 80 instead of the 2row and maybe cut out another lb or so. You've only got 9% speciality malts there whereas most stouts I see have 15-20%. I would add the crystal, up the chocolate another 4-8oz and reduce the 2row so you end up in that 15-20% region.

For mashing, I mash all my stouts at 154 for a fuller body. Unless I'm using lactose, which ups the FG enough by itself. I've seen higher than that, but I personally wouldnt ever go higher than like 155. Itd be like chewy...

I had to work on my recipe to get it below 6% ABV when I put the info into Beersmith.
Here's where I've ended up so far and plan on doing this one in the next week or two. Really odd sizes when I scaled to my normal 6 gallons I do so I'll likely round off to keep things easy.

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Stout-nilla
Brewer: Paul
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Stout
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 7.65 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.45 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 6.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 6.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.066 SG
Estimated Color: 43.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 20.5 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 74.4 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
10 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 63.3 %
3 lbs 7.3 oz Barley, Flaked (Briess) (1.7 SRM) Grain 2 21.9 %
1 lbs 1.7 oz Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 3 7.0 %
11.7 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 4 4.6 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 5 3.2 %
0.62 oz Cluster [7.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 12.9 IBUs
0.84 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 20.0 Hop 7 7.5 IBUs
1.2 pkg Irish Ale Yeast (White Labs #WLP004) Yeast 8 -

Mash Schedule: BIAB, Full Body
Total Grain Weight: 15 lbs 12.7 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Saccharification Add 35.22 qt of water at 165.8 F 156.0 F 60 min
Mash Out Heat to 168.0 F over 7 min 168.0 F 10 min

Sparge: If steeping, remove grains, and prepare to boil wort
Notes:
------
Used 2.5 whole (sliced open) vanilla beans soaked in JD for a 5-7 days.

Latest posts

Back