Non-hoppy styles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EvilDeadAsh

Reaction score
My palette isn't all that well developed at this point, so I'm not very familiar with a lot of styles of beer. I'm trying to figure out a few styles to brew in the future (the specific recipes yet to be determined).

I don't really like hoppy beers, though I might be chastised for it - a heavily hopped beer to me tastes soapy, or like I am chewing on a flower. I much prefer something low in hop flavor / aroma.

I can't lager but I really like Schwarzbier / Dark Lager style. I also like stouts, and have had a number of porters that are good. I also like the wheat beers like a Hef / Wit / Dunkelweiss

So I guess my question is which styles should I stay away from if I don't want a hoppy brew, and which stlyes (given this admittedly limited info) might be better for my tastes? Apologize if this is too broad of a question but I am only looking for broad general answers!

I don't really like hoppy beers, though I might be chastised for it - a heavily hopped beer to me tastes soapy, or like I am chewing on a flower. I much prefer something low in hop flavor / aroma.
I was at a beer tasting put on by the local natural history museum, and learned something that you may find interesting. The scientist who was leading the tasting had us all stick a strip of paper that had been treated with a chemical found in hops in our mouths. Some people tasted nothing, some people (like me) noticed a little bitterness, and some people looked like they had just accidentally taken a swig of dish washing soap. As it turns out, hops are kind of like cilantro, in that some "super tasters" pick up the soapy flavor. You are probably part of that group. So no chastising deserved, it's just genetic.

As a middle taster, I can drink an IPA here or there, but much prefer dark malty beers. Browns, stouts, and porters are my personal favorites. Porters in particular are big on roast flavor, and typically a little lighter on the hops.

You can make a decent Schwartzbier with Wyeast 2112.

Other non-hoppy ales to pursue in addition to your Porter, Brown & Stout:
Most Belgians, Kolsch, Cream Ale, Scottish Ales, Wheats.

Those should be a good start.

check out belgians, and english styles of beer... they are low in hops. and higher in in malt character.

German or Bavarian Hefeweizen are two options as well as some Belgian Blondes. In reality you can also lower the IBU's of any style beer and go for a more malt forward profile if that's what you like. I have had some Pale Ales with reduced hop additions that proved to be a nice change of pace and left a pleasing malt forward beer:)

Pilsner
Kolsch
Altbier
Scottish light
Stout

You can also try a SMaSH using a simple base malt and a small hop addition to provide a little balance.

The posts above nailed it.

You can also try different kinds of hops. Maybe the ones you have had just don't agree with you and there are some hop varieties out there you'll really like. Here's some suggestions:

Bell's Two Hearted - all centennial
Three Floyd's Gumballhead - all Amarillo
Three Floyd's Zombie Dust - all Citra
Flying Dog and Weyerbacher have some all Simcoe brews
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale - all Cascade (I think?)

So I guess my question is which styles should I stay away from if I don't want a hoppy brew, and which stlyes (given this admittedly limited info) might be better for my tastes?

you should be fine with anything if it doesn't say IPA (unless it specifically mentions being a traditional or english IPA) or doesn't have hops worked into the name.

most styles are pretty well balanced except modern IPA's.

I too was in the same boat as you with regards to hoppy beer. But my first taste of Three Floyds Gumballhead, had me changing my stance on the subject. Although hoppy, it isnt overpowering bitter like some hoppy beers I have had. I have since converted to enjoying IPA's and the "hoppy" beers but Gumballhead was my stepping stone and launchboard into new territory... TRY IT!!!!

I liked it enough that I now make a clone of this on a regular rotation.

Wow - I was stuck in traffic on my bike for the last hour and couldnt check for any updates - thanks everyone for the suggestions!

I'll try to get a hold of Gumballhead but I don't thikn I'll be able to here in Philly... unless someone knows where I can get some? Beer trade anyone?

This all gives me a good idea on some recipes moving forward!

JonM said:
The posts above nailed it.

You can also try different kinds of hops. Maybe the ones you have had just don't agree with you and there are some hop varieties out there you'll really like. Here's some suggestions:

Bell's Two Hearted - all centennial
Three Floyd's Gumballhead - all Amarillo
Three Floyd's Zombie Dust - all Citra
Flying Dog and Weyerbacher have some all Simcoe brews
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale - all Cascade (I think?)

I wonder about SNPA. I thought it was a mix of cascade and chinook. I could be wrong though

gcdowd said:
I wonder about SNPA. I thought it was a mix of cascade and chinook. I could be wrong though

Cascade only. This was taken right from SN's website:

"Our most popular beer, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, is a delightful interpretation of a classic style. It has a deep amber color and an exceptionally full-bodied, complex character. Generous quantities of premium Cascade hops give the Pale Ale its fragrant bouquet and spicy flavor."

JonGrafto said:
Cascade only. This was taken right from SN's website:

"Our most popular beer, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, is a delightful interpretation of a classic style. It has a deep amber color and an exceptionally full-bodied, complex character. Generous quantities of premium Cascade hops give the Pale Ale its fragrant bouquet and spicy flavor."

Rock on. Good to know, thanks.

Back