Non-gelatin method for making clear beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Docod44

Reaction score
Hi all, I know there are other ways to clear beer other than gelatin, but a thought came to me when mixing a glass of psyllium husk for my wife this morning. I had let a cup of psyllium sit out all day just to see what would happen and it formed a thick jellyfish-like blob after a few hours at room temperature. Could psyllium be used as an alternative to gelatin for clear beer? I couldn't find any examples or experiences online and I would test it myself since the container I have is flavor free, but my current fermenting beers are for competition so I'll have to wait to try it another day.

A couple of thoughts:

- The psyllium formed a blob because it absorbed lots of water.
- If it carries a charge, it would be a negative charge rather than the positive charge gelatin carries. I wouldn't expect it to attract yeast cells in the same way.

I don't say this to discourage experimentation.

A couple of thoughts:

- The psyllium formed a blob because it absorbed lots of water.
- If it carries a charge, it would be a negative charge rather than the positive charge gelatin carries. I wouldn't expect it to attract yeast cells in the same way.

I don't say this to discourage experimentation.
Thanks for your thoughts, I was planning on using gelatin I'm the end but maybe I'll try psyllium on a test batch and report back!

If your looking to avoid animal products, I’ve heard bio clear works well.
I was trying to remember that one, thank you. I don't necessarily care one way or another but I have some vegan family members that won't drink my beer if there's gelatin in it.

I use Whirlflock tablets at end of boil. They consist of irish moss and carageenen, both derived from seaweed I think. Works well and very easy to use and sanitary.

I use Whirlflock tablets at end of boil. They consist of irish moss and carageenen, both derived from seaweed I think. Works well and very easy to use and sanitary.
I have about a 0.5 oz of irish moss left and then I'll be switching to whirlflock

I've heard biofine works well.

I don't use any finings as I clear my beer with pre fermentation filtering, then it's just time, cold crash, then more time in the keg or bottle. It usually clears in a week or two after it's fully carbonated.

Latest posts

Back