Non automated gas valve question lp bbq style banjo?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rshosted

Reaction score
Ok. I need help with a gas valve. I'm hooking up a KB14 banjo burner I bought (kick a banjo burner), but want to build it into a brewstand. I have a 30psi adjustable regulator, but want to be able to adjust the flame similar to a bbq.

So my question is, are all bbq valve able to hold 30 psi?

Can they handle 210k btu flow of LP gas?

I see them for sale everywhere, and I can handle plumbing and hooking it up, just not sure if it will offer the adjust-ability as a needle or ball valve. I'm really wanting a professional look to this thing. Anyone who has actual experience or knowledge on the subject would be greatly appreciated. And if you have a link that would even be better.

TIA,
Ryan

I'm not an LP gas professional, so this is just my best guess, but I am familiar with most pipe fittings and such. Any LP gas valve should be able to handle 30 psi no problem. Ball valves are not a good choice for fine adjustment. A needle valve would be much better if you can find one large enough. I'm not sure what kind of valve you are referring to as a BBQ valve. Can you elaborate on that some. I'm guessing you are talking about the on/off control valve found on some burners which can sometimes have the orifice as part of the valve assembly. Those shoud work OK, but the needle type will give you more control.

Well, its hard to explain better because I really don't know. But I bought a gas smoker a few years ago which just has a variable gas knob on it. Granted it is running a low pressue burner. But I'm trying to avoid using a big ugly ball valve. That just doesn't say professional to me. So I'm looking at a valve I can control with a small handle that I can fab behind a nice piece of sheet metal. And yes I know I could hide a ball valve behind sheet metal too, but they are really not designed to work that way. So I'm hoping for something already in ptoduction.

Thanks,
Ryan

There are not a tremendous number of options for manual gas valves. It's kinda like valves is valves. Here are a few I found:

Needle Valves and Squeeze Valves

An adjustable regulator functions nearly the same as a needle valve except that it regulates the pressure instead of the volume. They are typically adjustable from 0 to 10 or more psi. The zero end of that scale is OFF, so it's also a valve. You would still want to shut the gas off at the tank for safety when not in use though.

Catt and Hammer, thank you. Those are similar to what I had in mind. In fact, since I really can't find what I'm looking for I think the one's on Hammer's are what I'll go with.

BTW Hammer, that is an AWESOME brewrig. Good work. It's funny how closely it resembles mine(that I'm building). Anything you might have done differently with it? I'm still fabricating the frame and have it tacked together right now. Probably a few more design changes, then i'll mount my burners and order those sweet gas valves...

OH yeah, where did you order those valves and were they expensive?

Again, Thanks!

The only thing that I did was to change out the casters for some better ones. I would like to put on some sort of an outrigger just to make it more stable, it's a little feraky when you have 15gal of hot water over your head. As far as the valves I got them on ebay they were $5.00 ea + shipping. good luck!

Latest posts

Back