Non alcoholic ciders, beers, sodas, and other drinks.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wagemage

Reaction score
Non alcoholic ciders, beers, sodas, and other drinks.

So, I have been lurking on these forums for a few years now and have finally decided to start posting as I have finally found some questions that I can't find the answers to.

What I am trying to do is make some non-alcoholic versions of popular drinks (cider, beers, soda, mead, etc).

My sodas are great. My ginger beers, and sparkling mulled ciders are huge hits. Watermelon lime is loved. My cream soda needs work and I haven't tried root beer yet. I also have Disney lands mint julip on the to do list, but I am looking for more variety.

I have looked into NA beers ciders, and meads to expand into. With beer, there is a consensus that boiling to distill out the alcohol ruins/changes the flavor. Reverse osmosis (RO) costs too much at tens of thousands of dollars for the equipment. Vacuum distillation is the other option, you can get the equipment to do 3-5 gallon batches for 400-1000$ and it seems like the way to go.

However, I wanted to get some input and questions answers before I spent the money and put in the time. (For legal reasons I just need to dump the hooch).

I have looked into "fermented wort" sodas like Malta Goya and the like. I liked it, but it was really sweet and tasted of molasses and caramelized sugar - nothing like the NA beers I have tried. Question 1: is there a beer recipe that turns out good if you just carbonate the wort, or do I need to go through a distillation and back fill with water to get a good product? Any suggestions I am willing to try.

Same thing for ciders and meads. However, I think boiling off the alcohol on meads may not mess with the flavor as much as beer.

With mead, unfermented mead is undrinkable. It is too sweet without any flavor. What are my options here?

Is there another way to remove sugar from the liquids in order to get a sweetness profile similar to the alcoholic versions?

Are there way to mimic the flavored created in the brewing process without fermentation?

Any help is appreciated.

Why is no one selling wort or carbonated wort, it would be delicious delicious. I have seen it in Florida made from high fructose corn syrup and imported from a Spanish speaking region. I am still amazed this is not a big thing.

The drink Malta Goya is compared to carbonated wort. I see it at Kroger brand groceries in the foreign food isles. I liked it, just tasted nothing like the NA beers I've found.

Back