Nogne beers and their "Coca Cola" flavoring

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BulkCarrier

Reaction score
I've had their "God Jul" and their "Underlig Jul" and now this:

unnamed1_zpseabmxbg6.jpg

I'm just wondering if anyone knows but why am I tasting and slightly smelling "coca cola" in all of their beers I've had to date. Is it their water or yeast or both? Maybe something else? Any info is good info.

Thanks.

Adam

Last edited:
Hmmm...I must be the only one...must be something wrong with my palate. As of 2:32 EST, I saw 47 people looked and didn't respond...yeah well. I guess I suck as a reviewer of beer.

Looks like two of the three are spiced. That combined with yeast strain and dark malts could be creating a cola-like flavor.

I'm pretty sure I've picked up the flavor you're describing with dark beers and English or certain Belgian strains.

Also, how old are the beers? I wonder if age/oxidation contribute to the flavor.

Looks like two of the three are spiced. That combined with yeast strain and dark malts could be creating a cola-like flavor.

I'm pretty sure I've picked up the flavor you're describing with dark beers and English or certain Belgian strains.

Also, how old are the beers? I wonder if age/oxidation contribute to the flavor.

Yeah, that's what I don't know, I don't see any dates anywhere. Weird, but I was also thinking that as well. Wish they would put dates on their beers.

Yeah, that's what I don't know, I don't see any dates anywhere. Weird, but I was also thinking that as well. Wish they would put dates on their beers.

That's odd, is it a US import? Because all of the bottles of theirs I've encountered have had both the brew date and a best before date.

I've had quite a few of their beers but can't say to have picked up a cola-flavor, though it's been a while since I last had one. I think I have an Underlig Jul lying somewhere, should revisit.

That's odd, is it a US import? Because all of the bottles of theirs I've encountered have had both the brew date and a best before date.

I've had quite a few of their beers but can't say to have picked up a cola-flavor, though it's been a while since I last had one. I think I have an Underlig Jul lying somewhere, should revisit.

No worries, maybe just my palate. Haha, for all I know the bottle shop might have even taken the date off. Eh, I'm over it. Moving on to other beers. Cheers!

Adam

All those beers are heavily spiced. Underlig Jul is a wacky interpretation of Norwegian christmas beer and gluhwein (the name literally means Peculiar Christmas), God Jul is their take on a somewhat traditional Norwegian christmas beer (which is a genre with tons of herbs and spices) and Imperial Dunkel Wit has both coriander, orange peel and a yeast strain with very distinct esters.

If you buy more regular Nøgne Ø, I doubt you'll find the same spice taste. Their regular Imperial Stout or Horizon Tokyo Black, for instance.

Re: date stamps Nøgne recently removed it from their bottles, just like Haandbryggeriet. Yes, it's ****ing stupid and backwards.

All those beers are heavily spiced. Underlig Jul is a wacky interpretation of Norwegian christmas beer and gluhwein (the name literally means Peculiar Christmas), God Jul is their take on a somewhat traditional Norwegian christmas beer (which is a genre with tons of herbs and spices) and Imperial Dunkel Wit has both coriander, orange peel and a yeast strain with very distinct esters.

If you buy more regular Nøgne Ø, I doubt you'll find the same spice taste. Their regular Imperial Stout or Horizon Tokyo Black, for instance.

Re: date stamps Nøgne recently removed it from their bottles, just like Haandbryggeriet. Yes, it's ****ing stupid and backwards.

Thanks, man. That makes sense. Much appreciated!

Latest posts

Back