Recommended setup for custom BIBs used with syrups

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TKB21

Reaction score
I make my own syrups and the biggest challenge for me thus far has been finding empty BIBs that I'd be able to refill and transport:
  • Suitable to store them in
  • At the size I want (at least 2.5 gal)
  • Compatible with the Coca-Cola valve connectors on my pump
  • Portable and not too bulky
The closest thing I've come across are these but would still require an adapter that would be compatible with my coca-cola valve pump kit. Although this would work it gets up there in price given my quantity of six 10L syrups bags.

One idea I had was using water storage containers and threading them to the pump valves, though I'm not completely sure if the two were compatible. I was wondering whether this would be ideal or if there was a better way to do this given the above.

I was wondering if anyone else had an ideal setup for something like this.
I'm mobile so anything that is portable and not too bulky like a keg would be great.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you ever find a solution to this? I am interested in this as well.
Sort of. At the moment I got 1gal mason jars and drilled a 5/8" hold through them. From there I took 5/8" vinyl tubing and connected them to my Flojet pumps. I managed to find water jug caps with holes already in them so I just stick the tubing through there. As I continue to expand I may just get corny kegs for the sake of capacity but for now this is probably the most ideal.

That’s cool—I’m excited to hear that worked. Where did you drill holes? Just in the top where you put the tube through? Do you have a vent hole in it?

I ask because I am preparing to buy some Flojet pumps and I’d like to be able to pump out of 1 gallon jugs. I know they aren’t necessarily designed for that, but I feel like it’s possible. There are a lot of good soda syrup options in gallon jugs and I’m hopeful they wouldn’t go bad as fast as BIBs.

Last edited:
That’s cool—I’m excited to hear that worked. Where did you drill holes? Just in the top where you put the tube through? Do you have a vent hole in it?

I ask because I am preparing to buy some Flojet pumps and I’d like to be able to pump out of 1 gallon jugs. I know they aren’t necessarily designed for that, but I feel like it’s possible. There are a lot of good soda syrup options in gallon jugs and I’m hopeful they wouldn’t go bad as fast as BIBs.
Yea, just where I put the tube through. Since in this case we're "sucking up" the syrup vs. pouring I don't think any form of ventilation would be necessary anyway and plus I'm trying my best to keep the scent of sweet away from the bees. Doing this with flojets is 100% possible. I did it with CO2 being my power source but only for water on my test run. I had some issues with my Wunder-Bar gun so I'm currently waiting for them to send me a new one.

Attachments

• IMG_3301.JPG
    IMG_3301.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Did you ever have trouble with the Flojet vacuum sensor? My understanding is that the Flojet T5000 will stop pumping if there is a vacuum. I’m guessing this wasn’t a problem for you though because the tube wasn’t that tight?

Did you ever have trouble with the Flojet vacuum sensor? My understanding is that the Flojet T5000 will stop pumping if there is a vacuum. I’m guessing this wasn’t a problem for you though because the tube wasn’t that tight?
I never ran into such a thing and yeah, it probably wasn't a problem with the tube.

Back