Noble hop experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgourd

Reaction score
So I decided to try something. I recently brewed EdWort's Haus Pale Ale and was surprised at the lagerish characteristics. It uses solely Cascade. So I decided to try the same (or very similar) recipe but using each variety of noble hops. So for the first batch, I'm going with Saaz. I'll follow that with Spalt, then Mittelfruh, Hersbrucker, and finally Tettnang. So these will be single hop brews. The grain bill is very simple:

Code:
7.25# Pale Malt (2-Row) US (2.0L) (73.42%)
2.13# Vienna Malt (3.5L) (21.52%)
0.50# British carastan (34.0L) (5.06%)

Some batch specifics:

Code:
Batch Size: 5.50 gal (8.80 gal preboil)
Estimated OG: 1.045 SG (actual: 1.045 SG)
Estimated FG: 1.009 SG
Estimated IBUs: 35 (Tinseth; actual: 35)
Estimated Color: 6 SRM (actual: 6 SRM)
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70% (actual: 70%)
Boil Time: 90 minutes

Actual numbers above are for the batch (Saaz) I brewed today. The hop schedule for this one is below (the others will have the same IBUs and percentages for each addition). Since the AA% varies, they'll have different amounts added at each time. The goal is to see how each hop affects the brew.

Code:
1.13 oz Saaz (CZ) (3.9%) @60 min
1.13 oz Saaz (CZ) (3.9%) @24 min
1.13 oz Saaz (CZ) (3.9%) @16 min
1.13 oz Saaz (CZ) (3.9%) @5 min

No worries on the weird 24/16 times. I meant to do 30/15 but I got distracted so now I have to do the same for all brews! :D

I've been doing batches with a similar malt bill, but using the less aggressive American hops like Mt. Hood, Willamette and Cluster. I mostly use Nottingham, but I'm planning a batch with lager yeast (WY 2124) as a comparison.

Have you tried Sam Adams' Noble Pils? It's a seasonal that's floating around these days and is _really_ nice. It's made with pilsner malt of course, but it's hopped with all of the noble hops you're playing with. May be a nice comparison as well.

You should search the 12 hopostles. You might find it interesting.

Back