No WLP005 British Ale @ LHBS WLP002/WLP013

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkukiela

Reaction score
I am planning a couple brews for this weekend. An Oatmeal Stout and a Vanilla Porter. Upon visiting my LHBS, they are out of the British Ale Yeast WLP005 and the Wyeast alternative these recipes call for. Both call for WLP005 British Ale Yeast

I do have:
WLP002 English Ale Yeast
WLP011 European Ale Yeast
WLP013 London Ale Yeast.

Please offer suggestions of what strain I might use instead of the WLP005 British Ale Yeast these recipes calls for.

I am thinking WLP013 London Ale for the Oatmeal Stout
and WLP002 English Ale for the Vanilla Porter.

Thank you

Mark

I used the 013 in a ESB I just brewed a month or two ago and it is very dominating. It has a distinct flavor and smell like no other yeast I've used before . But!!! It is a fabulous beer. I love it and I served it at a party I hosted last week and everyone couldn't believe I brewed it.
If you like malty, oaky, earthy flavors in your beers then I say go for it.

I was in this exact boat a month ago, right down to the oatmeal stout and Porter. I used the the London ale yeast, and was pretty happy with the results.

I love the 002. It's slightly dryer than the 005, but still lets the malty goodness shine! 013 is good too, but even dryer than the 002.

Back