No-Sparge Mashing Process

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bullbythehorns

Reaction score
I am going to do a no-sparge brew after reading posts by JKHarp, ChefChris and Sacchryomes. I am setting up similar to JKHarp's countertop system with the MLT gravity draining into the BK/HLT and will be direct firing the BK/HLT to maintain temp and pumping into the MLT .I will be hooking my pump up to recirculate, but my question is will I have better efficiency by recirculating the full-boil volume during the entire mash, or would I be better mashing thick and then recirculating the full-boil volume after conversion?

Good question. Subscribed. I just did a brown ale last weekend by recirculating the entire mash volume with a brewhouse efficiency of 60%. It seems that Palmer's article in BYO mashed out with about 2 quarts/lbs of grain BEFORE recirculating. I would like to know the best approach too.

Can't compare, this was my first AG batch. I liked the simplicity of the no-sparge set-up and most everything I read said it works fine, once you factor in the lower efficiency to your grain bill. Just wondering about the mash portion now and if I should mash prior to recirculating or just recirculate with the entire volume.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but why are you wasting good beer?

By not sparging aren't you just making what's called a "big beer" and if you grabbed another pot and sparged the grains you would be making a "small beer"???

Isn't that what some people do to get 2 batches from the same grain?

Yeah, I guess that is the process for partigyle. But I ain't there yet. I'm doing a souped-up version of BIAB I guess. Just without the bag.

I don't think we will be wasting beer with this process. As Tundra05 said, this is similar to brew in a bag, except at some point we will be recirculating the entire boil volume of 6.5 gallons through the grains at some point during the mash, for a 5 gallon batch. My understanding of the partigyle process is that you collect the first runnings in a pot for a "big" beer then collect the second runnings for a smaller beer.

I am doing this for the time savings that it offers and I will gladly sacrifice a pound or two of grain for a shorter brewday. Just seeing what others experience is on when to begin the full volume recirculation.

I know this thread is a little old, but...

I haven't found a need to use any extra grain. I get 75-80% efficiency with a fine crush. I'm not talking flour either, but crushed a little more aggressively than LHBS would do. I don't buy the extracting tannins arguement with higher mash pH either. I've monitored my pH on many batches of beer this year and my pH on a full volume mash is always around 5.2. If there is a problem with mash pH adjust it, just as you would with a "traditional" mash.

I don't get any more attenuation than normal either. Looking back at my notes I get the high end of what White Labs advertises for the particular strain of yeast I'm using.

As far as wasting beer. I know plenty of traditopnal mashers who will sparge until they reach a certain SG or they have thier volume. There is "good beer" left in the grains that they don't ever do anything with. I know one guy who will use it for starter if the SG is high enough. The others just dump it, and I know this is the method used by many. I hit my pre-boil gravity everytime without extraordianry efforts or any extra grain.

So far the biggest beer I have done with this method is only 1.070. I've read that it doesn't lend itself to big beers unless using more grain. The first attempt I make at a big beer I wll use extra grain. My prediction is that my mash efficiency will be higher than I expected.

You could always just add some DME or maltodextrin...which is what a lot of breweries do anyway. FWIW, I have oversparged when trying to do a partigyle. I was doing a RIS, and I oversparged the second runnings because it was black and I really didn't have an "eye" for how thin it was getting. The brown ale sucked, but the RIS was awesome. YMMV.....

Back