no secondary, still cloudy, possibly because of honey?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nikobrew

Reaction score
A while back I hopped on a thread that talked about skipping secondary fermentation and just keeping your brew in a primary for longer. I figured okay what the heck I'll try that.. it's been pretty hectic lately with the new kid and all and I've sort of last track of time.. I know the last time I brewed was probably about two months ago, so I have two carboys full of brew, not sure how long theyve been there but a couple months seems like a long time to me, maybe its not. I typically have one month from brew to keg. Now Im getting ready to keg, and noticing it hasnt cleared. I used irish moss as always, though I did boil with honey and am thinking this may have something to do with it. I always boil with honey and I used about.. three pounds I think for a 10 gal batch (less than I normally do) the rest was 2row and hops, pretty simple. Anywho its still cloudy, anybody have this same issue when boiling with honey?

Thanks fellow homebrewers.

I recently brewed a pale ale with a couple lbs. of honey and I was in the primary for about 6 days. I went straight to the bottle, no secondary even though it was slightly cloudy (not from the honey). After 2 weeks of conditioning in the bottle and a week in the fridge, the beer came out crystal clear. Just my 2 cts worth.
mark
Beer Diary...

My 'honey ale' was in primary for 2 weeks and has just gone one week in the secondary (plan on bottling next week).... Has 3# of honey and it was pretty clear when I put it in the secondary..... Now, I put the honey in with 5 min left in the boil......I used the orange blossom honey....what kinda honey did you use?

My 'honey ale' was in primary for 2 weeks and has just gone one week in the secondary (plan on bottling next week).... Has 3# of honey and it was pretty clear when I put it in the secondary..... Now, I put the honey in with 5 min left in the boil......I used the orange blossom honey....what kinda honey did you use?

Im trying to remember how much honey I used, and I put it in right when the boil started. I know this removes most of the honey flavor but it does add a smoothness that I like. Gonna doublecheck the type I used.

One of the carboys was actually really clear which was kind of interesting. I kegged that one and since I don't really need two kegs of the same type of beer on tap, I'll leave the other carboy until I get a few days from emptying the keg (if I can time it properly, I'd hate to be beerless again). Thanks for the input.. May just rack to the carboy I just kegged from to make the kegging easier when the time comes.

Back