No Rinse?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eskimo Spy

Reaction score
I'm worried about some flavor transfer in my carboy. I just moved an IPA from the primary to the secondary, and I used iodophor to sanitize the carboy a few minutes before I racked it. I made sure all the liquid from the sanitizing was out first, but now I'm worried I've screwed it up.

Should I do a rinse of my equipment even if I'm using a no-rinse sanitizer? Or just wait for it to air dry?

**Just realized this should be in the sanitizing thread, moving it there!

I'm worried about some flavor transfer in my carboy. I just moved an IPA from the primary to the secondary, and I used iodophor to sanitize the carboy a few minutes before I racked it. I made sure all the liquid from the sanitizing was out first, but now I'm worried I've screwed it up.

Should I do a rinse of my equipment even if I'm using a no-rinse sanitizer? Or just wait for it to air dry? It seems like an obvious answer, but I take nothing for granted when it comes to beer!

I use Iodophor all the time and never rinse (that's why they call it no-rinse) and have never had any noticeable off tastes from it...If it produced off flavors, then it wouldn't be so highly recommended as a homebrewing sanitizer.

As long as you used the proper dillution rate you are fine!

Should I do a rinse of my equipment even if I'm using a no-rinse sanitizer? Or just wait for it to air dry?

**Just realized this should be in the sanitizing thread, moving it there!

I already answered your flavor concerns in your other thread...but I noticed that you asked about airdrying...

You don't want to let your sanitizer dry....the no rinse ones like iodophor or starsan are "wet contact" santizers...meaning that asl long as the surface is wet with the sanitizer it kills any microbes that come in contact with it...meaning that first it kills stuff on the surface when you soak whatever in it THEN it continues to kill off any particulate matter that may land on it...

This thread will pretty much answer all your questions about sanitizers;

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=54932

Thanks for the link. I use 1 fl. oz. of iodophor per 5 gallons, is that equivalent to a tablespoon? I think it is, Hmmmm...

I use a shot glass... that is 1.5 ounces, so I just fill it up about 2/3 of the way and dump it in. I think the back of the bottle says .5 ounce for 3 gallons, so just under an ounce for 5 gallons. As long as there is some brownish color I think youre ok.

Thanks for the link. I use 1 fl. oz. of iodophor per 5 gallons, is that equivalent to a tablespoon? I think it is, Hmmmm...

You don't have to fill the carboy. Just pour some of the 12.5ppm, cap it, and slosh it about. Let it sit and dump the santizer back into your bucket. Cap the carboy again to keep floaties out. I usually upturn the carboy one more time before use to let the last few accumulated drops out.

You may want to listen to the company talk about this product on that issue of Basic Brewing podcast (mp3).

Syringes are great for measuring sanitizers. IIRC, iodophor 12.5ppm is 3ml/gallon.

Also I mix up a sparay bottle filled with iodophor and either distilled or boiled water, I keep it handy and spray anything and everything (for example the carboy cap, before I remove it.)

Latest posts

Back