No pressure relief valve

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Broncoblue

Reaction score
I have the pin system on my used coca cola kegs which I take it is standard with Coke. Anyway, I cant fing where the pressure relief valve ( the thing you pull) to release the pressure after purging or for whatever reason. Do I just find something to press the outlet pin in to release the pressure and will that work or just attach the beer dispenser and pull it as if I was pouring a beer? This is my first attempt at kegging and I am not trying to screw it up to bad. Any help,
Thanks

Just depress the gas in with something.

Only one of my 9 lids has a functioning relief valve. I am glad, actually, as it's just one more thing that can go wrong.

Thanks guys, I guess the in-line would be the one to press to relieve the pressure or I would just shoot out liquid from the out-line. Did not think of that. On another note, I dont have a fridge that I can put the keg in while carbinates and I've read it carbinates better and/or faster at 38-40 F temps. Am I ok to force carb it at room temp or should I stick it outside for a few hours and then carb it while its cold with an unknown temp. plus it will continue to warm up as it carbs. Cant leave it outside because it will freeze here in utah. Or since I dont have a fridge yet should I add sugar, purge the O2 out and let it set for a few weeks then chill outside then connect CO2 when ready to drink? Sorry so many questions

pin locks dont have prv, so yes.

Pin lock kegs do have a PRV, but it is not a manual release type. I would imagine a pressurized container without a PRV could easily become a bomb of sorts.

The PRV on pin lock kegs is in the same place as on a ball lock keg (center of the lid), and they can develop leaks. If your pin lock keg starts to leak through the PRV, you can either replace the PRV, or use it as a good reason to replace the lid with a ball lock type that has a manual release PRV. I have both and they are interchangable between types as long as you don't have a racetrack (rare) style lid.

Pin lock kegs do have a PRV, but it is not a manual release type. I would imagine a pressurized container without a PRV could easily become a bomb of sorts.

A few of my PL kegs do in fact lack any sort of PRV. I don't know the rating of the kegs off the top of my head, but I can't imagine somehow bursting them. The hose from my CO2 cylinder would be destroyed long before the keg blew. And even if I added a ridiculous amount of priming sugar, I doubt the yeast would even function at the pressure necessary to burst the keg.

I haven't seen any lids without the PRV, but it doesn't suprise me that they exist. Perhaps the lids that you have are from one of the many other applications that cornys were used for. I have seen them used in low pressure applications like eye wash stations and dairy, so I don't imagine all of them would need a PRV. They would probably be a handy thing to have since the PRV is a weak point in the system.

I know the max working pressure of a corny keg is 130 psi, so I would imagine the failue pressure would be somewhere from two to four times that. That would put it in the range of 260 to 520 psi.

Back