No more US 6 row?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

linusstick

Reaction score
My LHBS is staffed by pretentious condescending guys who mock my preciseness of grains (when I ask for 10.6 oz for example). Every measurement I give he rounds up or down. I am fine with that because I'm only 6-7 beers in and I'm still at the point where I'm still learning and being too exact (especially since I'm doing 1.5 gallon batches and read that there is a very small margin of error). Anyhow while ordering the grain for the batch I was told you can't get US 6 row any more (at least from Briess). He said the 2 row is so well made that 6 row isn't needed any more. My cream ale recipe was 50% 2 row and 50% 6 row and while he followed my around the store making fun of me for my exact measurements, he said my best bet was doing 100% 2 row. I am not familiar with the difference so I'm curious what the difference is and if the two are interchangeable. Thanks

At my LHBS they have Rahr as well as suggest creak 6 row in stock by the sack pound or ounce.

I dont know about the taste or conversion factor.

To the average beer drinker, there is no difference.

They are interchangeable, with no problem

The main advantage of 6-row is that it has a higher diastatic ability in recipes that use a good amount of adjuncts (rice/corn). 6 row has more protein and enzyme content

In terms of flavor, some brewers say they feel 2-row produces a fuller, maltier flavor and 6-row produces a grainier flavor in the finished beer - again though this won't be noticed by most people

You can do 100% 2 row and your recipe will still be great (whats the recipe?)

Back