No More Sponges!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
One reason why I bottle beer, was to make it easier to give to friends. At first I wanted them to critique my beer to help with my process. Well, now all I hear now are, "hey got any beer for me", "you still making beer? It's been a while since I tried one of yours", etc. etc, and so on. Now it's getting to the point where there are no thanks, taking forever to bring my bottles back, one guy brought back a 12-pack and did not even have the audacity to rinse out my bottles. He did apologize,,big deal, There was a deep sink in the other room and he could have rinsed them out. I'm to the point where if you want one of my beers, I'll be expecting "something" in return. Sorry, no more sponges!

One of the primary reasons I started kegging. I work in a very large warehouse and was plagued with people asking for samples. Now I just tell them that I keg my beer and no longer bottle. The grateful ones do get an invite once in awhile for a BBQ with home brew.

Bob

You need to recite the little ten hen story .. starting with 'who will help me buy the grain' said the LRH, and then who will help me crush the grain, etc .....

One reason why I bottle beer, was to make it easier to give to friends. At first I wanted them to critique my beer to help with my process. Well, now all I hear now are, "hey got any beer for me", "you still making beer? It's been a while since I tried one of yours", etc. etc, and so on. Now it's getting to the point where there are no thanks, taking forever to bring my bottles back, one guy brought back a 12-pack and did not even have the audacity to rinse out my bottles. He did apologize,,big deal, There was a deep sink in the other room and he could have rinsed them out. I'm to the point where if you want one of my beers, I'll be expecting "something" in return. Sorry, no more sponges!

I give out my beer liberally to neighbors and friends. Most do return bottles eventually and they're dirty. I do not get any feedback except that it was good. I look for feedback elsewhere. After the first round of no feedback and dirty bottles, I just simply decided to accept it. I'm not angry about it, I just don't really care to let it bother me. If it bothers you this much, which it clearly does, then you need to speak up. You need to explain when you hand them beer that you would like their feedback and in order to get more beer you would like your bottles back asap. Casually ask them to swirl the bottle with water before sending them back. If they're friends, as you call them, they'll have no problem doing that and won't feel as though you're being a dbag. If they do have a problem with that then you simply stop giving them beer.

Sometimes you have to speak up to the people actually causing you this headache unless you're certain they're reading this thread.

I quit giving beer away. Nobody was returning my bottles.
Now if my friends come by looking to sample I have no problem sharing.

Im giving out much less now that I keg. I would like to spread the love around to more people its much easier to fill a growler if I'm trying to get rid of some inventory

ask your friends to save bottles for you, so you can fill them if it really is an issue of bottles not coming back.

If they are enjoying your beer than they are probably drinking craft beer when they aren't drinking yours...those typically come in pry-offs.

Try using swing tops............ I use swing top bottles, and give out a lot. The perception is that swing tops have "value"...... as they do...... and everybody who gets anything in a swing top rinses them well and returns them...... of course I don't hesitate to emphasize that bottles are a couple of bucks each and I need them ASAP. They aren't an ordinary bottle, and the perception is NOT that they are a throw away. Swing tops for your give away samples.......the crown caps stay home.

H.W.

Try using swing tops............ I use swing top bottles, and give out a lot. The perception is that swing tops have "value"...... as they do...... and everybody who gets anything in a swing top rinses them well and returns them...... of course I don't hesitate to emphasize that bottles are a couple of bucks each and I need them ASAP. They aren't an ordinary bottle, and the perception is NOT that they are a throw away. Swing tops for your give away samples.......the crown caps stay home.

H.W.

That's counterintuitive, but I see the logic. I've got some vintage stubby pryoffs on loan from my FIL, and the only person who gets sent home with a bottle of those is him. I have someone who brought me some empty flip tops, and he's going to get cider in those, (especially since he said he'll bring me a case of those empties when he picks up a couple of bottles full) For anyone else I'll be bottling for them in odds and ends bottles that don't match the rest of my supply. So far, my 750ml fliptops haven't left the house.

Maybe institute a rule where they have to bring you two good empties for every full bottle you send them (or whatever ratio works for you and them) And then ask them to start bringing you grain or hops when you have more bottles than you know what to do with? Or make them do all the fun (hard and dirty) work on brew day in return.

That's counterintuitive, but I see the logic. I've got some vintage stubby pryoffs on loan from my FIL, and the only person who gets sent home with a bottle of those is him. I have someone who brought me some empty flip tops, and he's going to get cider in those, (especially since he said he'll bring me a case of those empties when he picks up a couple of bottles full) For anyone else I'll be bottling for them in odds and ends bottles that don't match the rest of my supply. So far, my 750ml fliptops haven't left the house.

Maybe institute a rule where they have to bring you two good empties for every full bottle you send them (or whatever ratio works for you and them) And then ask them to start bringing you grain or hops when you have more bottles than you know what to do with? Or make them do all the fun (hard and dirty) work on brew day in return.

It may be counter intuitive............but it works for me. The issue of course being what kind of friends you have ....................... I tend to hang with a class of people who are pretty responsible and considerate............... Not bragging, I've just weeded the trash out over the years. As a result I don't have many friends ;-( ......... But those are reliable!

One of the primary reasons I started kegging. I work in a very large warehouse and was plagued with people asking for samples. Now I just tell them that I keg my beer and no longer bottle. The grateful ones do get an invite once in awhile for a BBQ with home brew.

Bob

Ditto. Anyone is welcome to try my beer, but they have to come over and drink it with me.

Tell them you will sell a 6 pack for $1 per beer. Helps you recuperate the cost a bit, and if they really like your beer, they will pay!

It may be counter intuitive............but it works for me. The issue of course being what kind of friends you have ....................... I tend to hang with a class of people who are pretty responsible and considerate............... Not bragging, I've just weeded the trash out over the years. As a result I don't have many friends ;-( ......... But those are reliable!

I'm posting this on my facebook!

At work, everyone is always asking me to give them beer. So before I do, I always have a conversation with them about beer. Sorta like a test to see if they can appreciate a home brew. If they say something like "I really love blue moon" then wah wah, they failed and i'll forever say the beer is fermenting.

A friend one time brought me back the bottle without rinsing it, I looked at it and threw it away in front of him and said "thanks" He rinses them now :)

I'm posting this on my facebook!

At work, everyone is always asking me to give them beer. So before I do, I always have a conversation with them about beer. Sorta like a test to see if they can appreciate a home brew. If they say something like "I really love blue moon" then wah wah, they failed and i'll forever say the beer is fermenting.

A friend one time brought me back the bottle without rinsing it, I looked at it and threw it away in front of him and said "thanks" He rinses them now :)

Either I'm a wuss or just someone who chooses not to put people through tests to see if they're worthy of my beer. I think I would ostracize more people than I care to if I pull that crap. I know people who find blue moon to be an amazing beer and they have enjoyed quite a few of mine. The combination of forcing people to pay and putting them through tests to see if you deem them worthy are two things I hope I never do. However, if someone offers to chip in for grain, I won't ever say no. That day hasn't come yet.

Tell them you will sell a 6 pack for $1 per beer. Helps you recuperate the cost a bit, and if they really like your beer, they will pay!

I hope you're joking, but just in case you're not, what you're suggesting is illegal. I really wish it wasn't, it sure would be nice to offset the cost a little bit and discourage the mooches!

I have one particular person who expects more than what I consider a fair share. He has always saved me bottles, which does me little good because I keg. A few months ago we had a talk. He has since bought my grain for 2 batches. Our friendship is much less strained these days :)

I always give my neighbour a 2 bottle sample of beers, the new receipe ones, he has never asked for them, its just something i do, he has always given me feed back, whether good or bad and he also returns my bottles clean, with 2x full commercial beers to go with.
I have good neighbours.

I converted my biggest mooch into a home brewer. Now I get some help on brewday and he gets plenty of beer without having to build his own rig (or drink mine). Win win. The only problem I have now is getting him to clean up after himself a little better. I hate having to inspect his work and re-clean things. That and his schedule is a lot more complicated than mine so he's always trying to skate out early on brewday. I almost feel like a ****** when I have to remind him that it's his turn to clean out the mash tun. Last time we made starters (we use pressure canned starter wort) he just tossed his empty jars in the sink and left. Next time he came over they were sitting in a box next to one of his kegs and had dried on hot break and were looking a little nasty. He gave me a strange look. I told him hey, those are your jars. If you don't want to clean them fine but I'm not going to either. It all comes down to respect, and some people just don't get that. I don't give away much beer anymore and the people I do give it to appreciate it.

I thought this thread was going to be about Seinfeld :D

Really though, if they want beer that bad make them come over. I hardly ever just give beer to people unless I drink with them and I can instantly get the bottles back, which most of the time is just at my house.

Last time we made starters (we use pressure canned starter wort) he just tossed his empty jars in the sink and left. Next time he came over they were sitting in a box next to one of his kegs and had dried on hot break and were looking a little nasty. He gave me a strange look. I told him hey, those are your jars. If you don't want to clean them fine but I'm not going to either.

Nice, I love that! Good for you!

I don't look for feedback on my beers as most of the people I give it to (neighbors, former co-workers, family) do not drink craft beer. They don't mind trying my beers, though.

I am surprised when a neighbor or former co-worker shows up at my door with clean empties. I never ask for bottles back as I have hundreds. Pretty sincere of them, I suppose.

Either I'm a wuss or just someone who chooses not to put people through tests to see if they're worthy of my beer. I think I would ostracize more people than I care to if I pull that crap. I know people who find blue moon to be an amazing beer and they have enjoyed quite a few of mine. The combination of forcing people to pay and putting them through tests to see if you deem them worthy are two things I hope I never do. However, if someone offers to chip in for grain, I won't ever say no. That day hasn't come yet.

I don't force anyone to do anything. Anyone can buy beer at the store

You're right. And they won't have to take a test to see if they're worthy. :mug:

Three tests actually. First they have to be of age, second they have to have ID to prove it, third they have to have money.

I never have problems like this more than once. I tell people how it is (in a respectful manner). My friends respect me for it. Everyone else just smiles (because I am respectful) and walks on by, but they don't like me. Fine with me, most folks are self absorbed sheep with little or no intellect.

Don't tread on me.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Home Brew mobile app

I hope you're joking, but just in case you're not, what you're suggesting is illegal. I really wish it wasn't, it sure would be nice to offset the cost a little bit and discourage the mooches!

What about a fiver refundable deposit on the bottles? Technically, that's not selling beer ....

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

I see quite a few of you are having the same issues with me. I have asked a few this week if they have my bottle or tried my beer. they all have tried and they all have the bottle at their home and not one said anything about the beer. Either they are trying to be polite and not say it sucks or they are just plain ol sponges. The beer in question is my Deception Cream Stout(recipe from this site) and it is good. There is one lady that works with my wife and her husband and her like my beer, and they let me know by telling my wife and making me some of her awesome tacos.

Only people I give beer to is my Mom and other home brewers. And guess what I have no issues with getting bottles back.

I see quite a few of you are having the same issues with me. I have asked a few this week if they have my bottle or tried my beer. they all have tried and they all have the bottle at their home and not one said anything about the beer. Either they are trying to be polite and not say it sucks or they are just plain ol sponges. The beer in question is my Deception Cream Stout(recipe from this site) and it is good. There is one lady that works with my wife and her husband and her like my beer, and they let me know by telling my wife and making me some of her awesome tacos.

That's a small start. Now go back and talk to them, face to face. Don't beat around the bush. They're not reading this thread so they have no idea how badly this affects you.

Back