No Mg, Na, SO4 in RO Water Build?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smata67

Reaction score
I just started using RO water and additions. I have used the simple Delange approach once using only CaCl2 in a porter per the guidelines. I have also done a more tailored profile for an IPA using Brunwater: Ca 100, Mg 5, Na 0, SO4 200, Cl 40.

So now I'm looking at the Brunwater output for my next batch. I'm mashing 20lb of pale malt with 1.5lb of munich, .25lb acidulated and my pH is fine at 5.33 . The Amber Dry profile has Ca 50 and Cl 60 and I will shoot for that with the CaCl2. It also has some additional minor amounts of Mg, Na, SO4: 10, 15, 75 ppm respectively. Using the Delange approach, all of these are omitted. And my question is will this be an issue? I do put 1 tsp/10 gallons of yeast nutrient towards the end of the boil and this has MgSO4, but of an unknown quantity.

I just started using RO water and additions. I have used the simple Delange approach once using only CaCl2 in a porter per the guidelines. I have also done a more tailored profile for an IPA using Brunwater: Ca 100, Mg 5, Na 0, SO4 200, Cl 40.

So now I'm looking at the Brunwater output for my next batch. I'm mashing 20lb of pale malt with 1.5lb of munich, .25lb acidulated and my pH is fine at 5.33 . The Amber Dry profile has Ca 50 and Cl 60 and I will shoot for that with the CaCl2. It also has some additional minor amounts of Mg, Na, SO4: 10, 15, 75 ppm respectively. Using the Delange approach, all of these are omitted. And my question is will this be an issue? I do put 1 tsp/10 gallons of yeast nutrient towards the end of the boil and this has MgSO4, but of an unknown quantity.
If you use some Epsom salt you’ll be able to get ballpark for for their target so4 and mg. Then you won’t need to add it at the end as a yeast nutrient

That original advice is from someone that has a phobia about sulfate. Sulfate is desirable in most brewing, but its not a requirement. The same goes for the other ions that you cite. Not necessary, but they can add flavor when used in the right concentrations and in the right beers.

Literature values show that barley malt contains approximately 1 gram of Mg++ per kilogram and a typical wort is approximately 100 mg/L. In other words, if your 5.25 gallon batch (~20 L) uses 11 lb of malt (~ 5 kg), you have about 5 g or Mg++ in the malt of which about 2 g is extracted into the wort. Because magnesium is only 1/5th of the weight of magnesium sulfate (i.e., Epsom salt) it would take 10 g of added magnesium sulfate to provide an additional 2 g of Mg++ to the wort. I suggest additions of 1-2 g of magnesium sulfate (that is 0.1-0.2 g additional magnesium) do very little to affect our beer and that focus should be on calcium, chloride, sulfate, and to some extent sodium.

Back