no krausen, slightly concerned

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtpro

Reaction score
So on Friday I fired up my first brew in 5 months, https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/deception-cream-stout-141483/ with a couple of modifications. I added about 4oz of dark chocolate cocoa powder at flameout. I've seen this used in other recipes despite the fact that it contains a bit of fat (1-2g/serving). Fermentation seems to have kicked off well, but this is the first beer I've ever brewed that had no krausen on top at all, not even a thin layer. I'm definitely not panicking but I'm slightly worried that some oils from the cocoa powder may have ruined my krausen and possibly head later on.

I think you have figured out the reason. It will not be a problem.

ive done a porter with cocoa powder and it did not affect my krausening or head later on.

Are you real familiar with the yeast you used? Some yeast just dont show alot of activity. When in doubt RDWHAHB.

yeah, used my good old standby notty, the recipe suggested a couple of wyeast options, but my LHBS doesnt really carry wyeast and I didnt feel like dropping ten bucks on a vial of WL.

Back