No-Hop Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rightwingnut

Reaction score
What would an all-grain brew without hops taste like? Too sweet? It's gotta be alot closer to the "original" beer discovered way back when. It wouldn't be nasty, would it? I'm tempted......

I've read that before hops were used spices were used to balance out the sweet. The article didn't say what kind of spices though.

Why would one want to brew beer without hops? Aren't hops the whole point? ;)

Hops do balance out the flavor profile of beer...they counter the malty sweetness with hoppy bitterness. Before hops brewers used all manner of spices and whatnot. One such mix of spices was called gruit. They settled on using hops for a reason ;)

Hopheadilly yours, :D

I read that your traditional Scottish (or is it Scotch) ales didn't have hops, because the supply was controlled by the Brits. They wouldn't buy them as a matter of pride. :D

I'm sure most modern Scottish beers use some hops, but they remain very malty to this day. I have to admit that it ain't my bag, baby. I just got an "IPA" brewed in Scotland, and the lack of any real hop character really disappointed me. If that's their idea of a "hoppy" beer, then they can keep the rest.

So to summarize, you'd better like a "malty" beer if you feel like trying it.....as for me, I'll pass, thank you. :D

Sam

I just tried a Gaelic Ale from a local micro brewery and it was pleanty hoppy for me. Each to his own tastes, but give me that malt with just a tiny bit of hops :cool:

Beer is like BBQ, everybody likes it differently.

OBX said:
I just tried a Gaelic Ale from a local micro brewery and it was pleanty hoppy for me. Each to his own tastes, but give me that malt with just a tiny bit of hops :cool:

Beer is like BBQ, everybody likes it differently.

EXACTLY... hence the nickname for some brewers being "Hopheads" I like some hops, but not too much... A little sweet aint tooo shabby for me.

I used to hate malty brews, but I'm getting a taste for them now, like Stoudt's Gold Lager and Victory Lager.....YUM!

Back