no head?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shady oaks

Reaction score
I popped the top on my first batch and didn't get any head when I poured it. Okay, maybe 1/4'', but that's it. I was pouring kind of slow to keep the yeast out, is this typical. The beer (an irish stout) tastes great though.

How much priming sugar did you add, what was the temperature of the beer when you added the priming sugar, how long have you been conditioning the beer and at what temperature?

I bought a kit from midwest supplies, so the amount of priming sugar was 1 package (not sure of actual amount). It was conditioned before and after bottling at 70 degrees F. It's been bottled for 3 weeks, 1 day as of tonight.

I bought a kit from midwest supplies, so the amount of priming sugar was 1 package (not sure of actual amount). It was conditioned before and after bottling at 70 degrees F. It's been bottled for 3 weeks, 1 day as of tonight.

Some more troubleshooting:
Does the beer taste sweet when you taste it? When you de-gass a hydrometer sample, is it above the final gravity you recorded before you bottled?

Easiest way I've found to get a head with bottle conditioned beers is to pour right down the middle of the glass.... Don't tip the glass, but still pour slowly so you can watch the yeast. Of course with a stout your probably not going to see the yeast and you'll just have to stop near the end of the pour. Also....stouts sometimes take a little longer to carb than alot of ales in my experience.... Give it a couple more weeks and try the center pour.....

My first batch was also an Irishh stout and I noticed the same thing. It has now been almost a month and I popped one yesterday and the head now sticks around and is quite good. It could be that it needs a little more time in the bottle. Im sure somebody already mentioned it but make sure the glass is absolutley clean that will kill the head.

Latest posts

Back