No fermentation!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CiderScot

Reaction score
Been brewing cider for about a decade and I have a problem with a 5 gallon batch that I just started. This happens occasionally and I'm wondering what other people do.

Tried and true formula of around 2 lbs sugar source (cane sugar) and one packet yeast (1 packet Red Star Premier Blanc), along with 5 gallons apple juice. My only variable this time was I used a cider base sold by a advertiser here. I used 1.666 gallons of cider base and 3.333 gallons of spring water to dilute.

It's been in the carboy since last Tues (4/16) and I saw some small activity Wednesday but nothing since! Should I add more yeast? More sugar? How do I kick start a stalled batch?

What is the starting gravity?

Well, I've gotten into the bad habit of not getting that information before or after. I'm approaching it more as an artistic effort than a scientific one. lol

Guess that might be a problem but I hardly ever run into this issue.

I had a Sangiovese wine kit that didn't want to ferment...I had good luck getting a fermentation to start when it was very very sluggish at first by doing a couple splashy pours from one bucket to another, which aerated it quite a lot, foaming up etc.. adding 1/2 teaspoon of DAP (stir it in first) and adding a couple packets of dry yeast (for a total of 3 yeast packets) It kicked off strong after that and I needed a blow off tube because the airlock was filling up with krausen....

Assuming you checked the juice and that there were no preservatives ... and that you "proofed" the yeast and it is known good.

I'd add more anyway...if you didn't start the yeast, add more. Not much you can do other than that, and you really do want fermentation to start quickly now. Another packet won't hurt a thing.

I had a Sangiovese wine kit that didn't want to ferment...I had good luck getting a fermentation to start when it was very very sluggish at first by doing a couple splashy pours from one bucket to another, which aerated it quite a lot, foaming up etc.. adding 1/2 teaspoon of DAP (stir it in first) and adding a couple packets of dry yeast (for a total of 3 yeast packets) It kicked off strong after that and I needed a blow off tube because the airlock was filling up with krausen....

Just agitating the carboy worked! I rocked the bucket back and forth and it actually blew the lid off!

So I didn't even have to add more yeast. I just secured the lid back off and it was off and running.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

Just agitating the carboy worked! I rocked the bucket back and forth and it actually blew the lid off!

So I didn't even have to add more yeast. I just secured the lid back off and it was off and running.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

awesome! I switched to aerating with a "Mix Stir" which is an attachment for your power drill, which is a relief because shaking a bucket with 5 gallons inside can be tiring :)

Back