No Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oyarsa

Reaction score
I started a "cider" of tamarind, pectic enzyme, and sugar. I simmered the fruit, added sugar and water to 2 gallons and 1.050 SG. I added two crushed campden tablets. That was Thursday night. Friday morning I added pectic enzyme (read the 12 hour gap somewhere, but maybe that wasn't best).

Saturday morning I pitched a Wyeast Cider smack pack. As of Sunday night there was no activity. I tested the pH with a 1-14 litmus paper (best I can do) and it shows a pH of 2. I realized I hadn't added yeast nutrient, so I added some.

By Monday night, still no sign of activity (no bubbling, no smell, no krausen). The fruit tends to settle out very quickly, which leaves the top liquid clear, and couldn't see any signs of activity.

I decided to attempt decreasing pH by adding water. I doubled the volume to 4 gallons. Added sugar to bring back up to 1.056. The pH seems to still be around the a high 2 /low 3, but the paper may not be the most accurate. Added more yeast nutrient. This morning there still is no airlock activity, though I didn't check anything else. I swung by the store to buy more cider yeast, but they were out, so I bought Lalvin EC-1118 (which I used last time for a tamarind wine that sadly got infected by some bacteria).

Sooo...am I being too impatient? I realize before doing more, I should use the hydrometer to double check. Should I pitch the new yeast if no activity by tomorrow morning? If so, should I use more campden tablets to "reset" everything? Suggestions?

I appreciate any help!

Oh...and how long is too long for fruit to sit like this before starting fermentation? Is there a limit? Am I right in thinking it's basically unlimited as long as it stays uninfected?

Did your cider end up fermenting? I’ve had them take off slow and some take off within a few hours! I have one right now that’s not fermenting at all after a re pitch at day 3 and still nothing at day 7. I sourced 5 gallons of cider from a local orchard. Feels like a waste of $50!

The pH seems to still be around the a high 2 /low 3, but the paper may not be the most accurate.
Sorry, first time I'm seeing this post, it must have fallen between the proverbial cracks.

If I had to take an educated guess, the ultra low pH is preventing the yeast to work properly. Some Brett strains may be able to handle down to pH 3, but it will be slow going.

Sorry, I missed the additional posts, as well.

The cider never did ferment. I THINK I figured out the problem. I had added a campden tablet, but put the lid back on the bucket. I had left the airlock off, but had a pretty heavy towel over the hole. The acidity probably makes it hard for the yeast to get going and the trapped gasses from the tablet finished them off.

I started a new batch recently. This time I left off the lid and used cheese cloth. When I pitched the yeast, it once again seemed to fail, but I think I messed up the rehydration. I tried pitching a second batch with a bit more care with the rehydration and it has finally started going. It probably took about 2 days to show any signs and 3 days to really get going. I think next time I will try skipping the campden tablets and pitching the yeast directly without rehydrating.

If that pH is correct, then that is more likely your problem. You need to do some reading in the wine section and adjust it up to above 4.5 to get the yeast active. A pH of 2 is in the battery acid range. I'm being vague on how to do it because I never have. But there are knowledgeable wine folks that can tell you what to add. Good luck!

I have done some reading on how/what to do, but the biggest problem right now is not having a good way of checking the pH. The litmus paper is probably pretty inaccurate, and a pH meter is out of the budget. Without an accurate pH, I wouldn't know how much to adjust it.

Currently, the second batch is fermenting. I will see how it ends up.

Previously, I tried a tamarind wine recipe I found. It had a bit more sugar and followed the method I just posted (no campden and direct pitching). It went off with gang busters, but had a bad taste that I thought was an infection (hence the use of campden tablets this try). I'm now thinking it possibly could have been from too high a fermentation temperature.

So many possible problems and solutions...

Multi-range litmus paper will at least tell you how close it is to a whole pH value. That should get you in the ballpark of a pH between 4 or 5. No need to shell out for small range papers, and yup, those are usually not all that accurate, either through a bias or simply hard to read.

Back