No Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petepic

Reaction score
Hoping for a little expert guidance. Attempted my first batch in about 10 years and epic FAIL. No fermentation after 5 days, pitched more yeast and again no fermentation. Reviewed what I did and I think I know where I went wrong , cooled wort before adding water instead of the reverse. Think the wort was too cool when I pitched the yeast.

The question: Can my wort be saved or is it destined for the drain?? My initial thought, re-boil the wort, cool to proper
Temp and pitch more yeast.

Well,How do you know that fermentation has not carried out? Have you measured the specific gravity?what was the temp of fermentation room?However, IMO cooling the wort before adding water or vice versa can not prevent the fermentation.In most cases, fermentation is underway, but the airlock or fermentation lock system is faulty and does not create bubbles thus wrongly brewer thinks about fermentation problems.If You used conventional fresh ingredients،temperature was been in proper range and also if You prepared the yeast correctly,there is no reason for fermentation not to start even if the initial wort was cold.Test the beer with hydrometer or taste It to see if It is still sweet or not.

The only time I have heard of a "yeast fail" is when the wort was too hot! If you didn't pitch the yeast at appropriate temperatures, and I have no idea what temperatures you are at, then your yeast could be dead. I haven't had this problem but you should sample your wort for sweetness, Gravity. My honey Kolsch didn't start bubbling for over 4 days, then the airlock was busy for a long time. Good luck!

Back